JAN. 09 CHECK IN // Tues. 6th \\

ShyWolf

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Just getting us started this early rainy Tuesday morning. ;)

Today is a kettlebell day for me. :D

Getting back on schedule is good for me so far I'm getting up in great moods.

From yesterday:

Beth hope you guys find a treatment for your son's toe, poor guy.

Hottie
a jump robe eh? I may have to search for my dd's and try it out.

Hope all have a Terrific Tuesday.

picture.php

Hi all! Bleh...second day in a row with no workout! I'm leaving work early today for my eye appt., so I came in early. Was out the door by 6:30. Feeling kind of blah...I'll get back into it in a few days.

Hey Vilma, you're up bright and early too!

Hottie, I did read your post from last night! Wow, four degrees for you must be brutal! It's brutal for us, but we're used to it. At least it was temporary! I'm rooting for you with Imax3. ;)

Beth, my son had a wart I think on the bottom of his foot a couple years ago. I think you might want to have it looked at - you wouldn't want it to somehow break open and bleed - it just seems like it's in a vulnerable spot on his toe. I can't remember exactly what our doctor did for it, but it wasn't painful or intrusive at all. I think he had to go back once for another treatment.

My boys were arguing last night (surprise, surprise ;)). Colin was playing Wheel of Fortune on the computer, Jameson pressed the wrong letter and messed up his game, Ian laughed and Colin got upset. Somehow the chair Colin was in fell over and landed on Ian's fingers. Well, Ian can be a bit dramatic. He screamed and screamed. And then screamed some more. I had him put ice on his fingers. They weren't swollen at all and he could move them around. So, I figured he was fine. DH made him go to basketball practice even though he said they hurt. Well, after practice the tips of two of his fingers looked all purple and swollen. His one fingernail, too. Ouch!! I'm hoping nothings broken. We'll see how they look and feel today.

Well, I have my appt. later today. If I can see (ha! - bad joke, I know!), I'll stop in and let you all know how it went.

Joanne

Good morning! Slept a little later and had a shorter kbell workout -- Vilma, I'll post it later to the kbell thread -- it was good. What do you do for warmup when you swing? I can't go right into it, so usually pick some dvd to stick in and warmup with. Today I did GS leg warm up and stretch -- got my dose of Cathe! :)

Hottie, it's exciting to hear you say you may try to get pregnant later this year -- keep us posted, if you choose. Being pregnant is a funny thing -- seems like it should be a private thing, but for obvious reasons, it's not! And yes, good luck with that imax3 quest!

Joanne, poor Colin! How are the fingers today? Both my boys are a bit dramatic, so it's hard to judge the real pain. Travis had a wart about a year ago, and we tried to treat it with the over the counter stuff and finally had to take him to the dr. to finish it off. He told Dylan it stings, so that's why Dylan's afraid to go. I think we'll try otc again and see if we get anywhere. You're right, I shouldn't ignore it!

Oh, and on the eye cups, girls -- no kidding, when I had my lasik done I seriously thought about keeping those cups and trying to make some bug costume for the kids at halloween. :eek:

Ok, I've got to get going on the routine. Hellos to Ivy, Iris, Chris, and Kathy!

-Beth

Omgosh, my calves are killing me. I'm doing a little better after walking around the lab but my husband laughed wayyy too hard as I was attempting to walk down our steps from our apartment. I'm probably going to do something not involved with my feet if I can today. Maybe a GS when I get home. But not GS legs....

Vilma -- you probably have much better developed calves than I do and much more coordination but jump roping can be a pretty serious workout. When I do it right, it doesn't really bug my joints at all. You burn hella calories too. Since we have this loft space and we've cleared all this room for our gym/living room (if you noticed, our weight set is in front of our fireplace), DH and I were thinking we could jump rope while we watched TV or something. Try it out! After the calves heal I'm definitely going after it again.

Joanne -- I think what makes the cold room bad for me is that I can't wear real gloves (other than latex or nitriles) because I need some serious dexterity and I can't risk contamination. Everything else, I can bundle up. That's why I prefer the cold to the heat -- you can always put more things on but there's a limit to how much can come off! (actually, on the hot days after I come back inside from the heat, I just hang out in the cold room for a couple minutes!). I hope everything with you eye works out beautfully! See you soon? (see I can make a bad joke too!) The finger thing totally would freak me out btw. I hope whatever it is will heal quickly.

Beth -- thanks! the whole baby thing puts DH and me in weird feelings though. It's strange because I felt very strongly about having children before we got married and he was pretty "meh" and then over the last year through a series of arguments/discussions (things like, I'm not going to have a child if you're just meh about it!) and the fact that he spent more time with my sister's children, he's getting excited about the prospect! I, on the other hand, as it becomes more real, get a lot scareder. That said, its because I wanted to get pregnant that I became super determined to get fit. I went to this talk in the summer of 2007 that showed this scary correlation to the mother's health at CONCEPTION even (and of course throughout the pregnancy and breast feeding) to the health of the child. I figured the best thing I could do then for my future kids is get healthy so here I am now! Now just to get Imax3 done before I get pregnant (because I don't think I should try after!).

BBL!

Hello

Finished my workout early this morning but was not able to come back online until now.

Joanne wishing you all the best for your eye surgery this afternoon. Just rest up those eyes and sleep good tonight w/ those funny cups.
Hoping your son's fingers are just bruised and not broken.
When the kids are back in school my normal wake up is around 5ish sometimes 430 just depends if I can't sleep anymore. I love that time because the
house is quiet and I can just plan out my day before it all gets hectic as it usually does.

Beth - when I do my own kettlebell work I do some joint mobility exercises that I remember from both Anthony's dvds or Lauren's - actually I do them every morning when I get up after my water to just get the blood flowing and body moving. I also do the stretches that I do after a run for my legs too, just depends really but I do make sure to warm up and cool down before and after working the kbells.

Hottie I have thick calves lol so I try not to work them anymore than I usually do.
Just try to do as much stretching as you can and of course Advil helps too.
Heck see if your dh can help massage them out for you instead of laughing.
Yup I noticed your weights in front of your fireplace because I was telling myself why are you covering your fire place, but then remembered your in LA and we use ours frequently in the evenings in NC.

I hope to see you all later for now my pastrami/ roastbeef sandwich is ready in the oven and I'm hungry

picture.php

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

I had an eye exam (my first in my entire life!!) this morning. Good news, he said my eyes are VERY healthy and basically to wear the reading glasses like I have been. Bad news: I didn't realize they put drops in your eyes that blind you! Holy CRAP! I planned on grocery shopping afterwards (since it's going to ice out tonight and I'm sure school will be canceled). I wore my dark sunglasses in the store, but I couldn't tell if the fruit was rotten or see the prices! Dang! Too funny, though!

I got home and chilled for a bit, couldn't see the computer , but now I can with my reading glasses.

I did my workout from FF's Rotation: LOWMAX 1-4 and SJP Abs. I always remember the lunge blast killing me, but today it was the leg raises to the side around the bench. Holy CRAP I was burning and huffing and puffing! Did my buttocks good me thinks!

Joanne & Beth: Thanks for explaining CLX a bit! I appreciate it! I know I'll get it eventually. I do want to do STS first though. ... which SHOULD be coming soon!?!?!?!?!

Hottie:
wow! 4 degrees? How long do you have to stay in that temperature? I feel for you guys without heat. though we keep it cool in our house anyways. Thermostat is set at 64. I always have on layers and slippers and sweaters!! I'm really hoping the ice storm we're supposed to get doesn't cause us to lose electricity tonigh! :eek: ..... That is SUPER exciting about you trying for a baby later this year!!! I know, it's the hardest decision. My DH and I were married for 8 years before we decided to have kids. We traveled and had a LOT of "us" time! ... You go on IMAX3! And YES! Jumping rope is killer! I used to do it sometimes in the summer outdoors, when I'd watch the boys run around or play in the backyard. I'd do laps and jump rope! Hope your calves calm down a bit for you!

Vilma: How long do you work out with the KBs? And do you do it freestyle with music ? You sandwich sounds yummy!

Joanne: It's 2:20 right now! Not sure if Chicago time is the same, but I'm thinking good thoughts for you!! Hope it all works out well . Let us know! I also hope your son's fingers are ok. My boys (esp my 9 yr old) can be VERY dramatic as well and I tend to blow off a lot of his complaints.. LOL!

Beth: KB for you today too!!! CLX is "just" 4 days, then? It's split up? ... My youngest son had a wart on his toe a few years ago. It was underneath the nail on his big toe and was pushing the nail off. (ick!). he had to go to have it "frozen" off, just one treatment. He screamed his head off, but it was the only thing that worked!

Time for a snackie poo and then my oldest son will be blowing in the door! How did the day go so fast?!?!?!

BBL!!

Chris -- I saw on Collage Video that they said Jan 13th....that may be to premature soon for STS though. My husband still has never had an eye exam and has better than perfect vision despite the fact that he sits at a computer all day! And I'm almost blind out of my right eye! And I'm so silly I just realized -- everything I do in lab is in Celsius so its just a bit over 32 degrees F. Still cold though!

Ok, how can you get through so many years without having an eye exam?! I guess since I've been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old, this is just too foreign for me to fathom. :)

On the CLX rotation, for the first phase she has only one cardio day and two rest days, but I think most people I've heard doing it are adding in a second cardio day. I think for the second and third phases she adds in a second day of cardio. Though as others have mentioned.... I wore my hrm on her first workout just for grins, and though I didn't burn a whole lot of calories, I was surprised at how high the heart rate numbers were (can't remember specifics now -- just that it was surprisning). I was definitely huffing and puffing.

I bought wart treatment at target this morning.... we'll see if it works!! I'm somewhat tempted to do it to him while he's asleep because I have a feeling he would sleep through it and it would be a whole lot easier that way. On the other hand, if he did wake up, think of the therapy that would be required!!

-Beth

Wow Chris you've never had an eye exam before? Like Beth I started using glasses as a tween and even w/ my kids they all started getting their yearly eye exams at age 5.

As far as how long kbell work is, it depends. Dvd's are usually 40-50 min in length and written plans depends on what you're doing; it can be as short as 10 -15 min and as long as 50m.

I don't use music because then I'll lose my count as I love music lol... I started doing it with music but found I kept up the pace of the songs and not my counts. I've seen Beth's trainer use music for her youtube vids lol

picture.php

You know what's funny about the music? That's part of what I like about kbells is that I get to pick the music. I haven't done kbells in quite a while because FF's rotation was so intense, so I was excited about having my ipod on this morning. Well, partway through the workout I realized that even though I brought out my ipod, I forgot to put it on!!! :p

Chris, I have to say.... I miss the FF checkin!!

-Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.