HATE YOGA, Chin Up Checkin

briee

Cathlete
I thought this was appropriate enough, but fear we'll get a million posts in 10 minutes.

WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH ALL THE CHECKINS????? All they talk about is yoga. At least August warns me that she is about to speak of yoga. Interestingly enough no one seems to be doing yoga...just talking of it. (I believe Melody astutely pointed this out in the cardiohaters thread as parelleling our chins or lack of them thread - nice goin Mel):p :p :p .

I'm not reporting anything workout wise until kids go to sleep. Hopefully upperbody heavy weight work again. I'm NOT sore anymore (which means I better get busy!!) Have a great evening everyone!!

Briee

Yoga? What's that? Does it involve chocolate? ;)

Haven't done any chins this week. Been still working on heavy lifting with great results! I'm up to 30lb one armed rows, 25 lb lat raises, 70 barbell chest press for some of the biggies. I did slow motion lunges (from GS) with a 40lb barbell - 3 sets (4 reps each leg...yeowch!) Tomorrow is my sports circuit class which I love. I'll try Drillmax probably on Thursday. If I do that after sports class you would have to send a search party out for me. Ha. Drillmax looks pretty intense. I was getting winded watching Cathe & crew.

Okay, Happy Halloween girlies...peace out!

Debbie

My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is.
--Ellen Degeneres

WHAT???? 25 pound lat raise!!!!???? No freakin way!! I am officially not speaking to Debbie LOL!!

Oh and Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Preveiwing my new DVDs and not only does BMax 2 stutter at the end of circuit 3 it skips most of the step routine and goes into the blast x( x(

Briee, I can not believe you started a thread with YOGA in the title!!

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

Debbie....did you mean 25# lat raises????? You're an amazon. Do you use straight arm??? If this is true....I may consider not speaking to Debbie either - we'll see.

I figured I'd have to spend some time in Lacrosse this week with the play that my kids are involved in, so I called all over to find a spin class that I could go to. Found one and was all prepared to attend and then dh had to work late and I was stuck with 2 and 4 year old....SO NO SPIN CLASS. Arghhhhhhh!!!!! Debbie...I shall live vicariously through your workout schedule. x( x( x( x(

Anyone else out there hatin yoga or doin chins?????

Briee

OMG, I've just found an old '04 thread about YOGA and found this comment by Soosan:

> Briee, it's great to hear from you! Congratulations on your buff back. I still can't believe you (my fellow ecto) can even DO a pull-up!

Briee, just when I think you couldn't sink any lower, you post this disheartening thread title. Rocky's so upset, he refuses to come out of downward squirrel. I can barely bring myself to do my morning om's as I type my response to this attack. And what would Bryan Kest say?

August, just ignore her and ask as many questions about yoga as you like. No chin-up bar? You're my kind of girl! We had to temporarily take down our bar in order to hang our transparent upside down ghost. Priorities, you know.

I'm so upset about Briee's thread title that I forgot who else has checked in and what they wrote. I haven't worked out since Thursday but plan to do Drill Max this morning. Wish me luck - this one looks like a toughie!

>OMG, I've just found an old '04 thread about YOGA and found this comment by Soosan:

> Briee, it's great to hear from you! Congratulations on your buff back. I still can't believe you (my fellow ecto) can even DO a pull-up!

I remember that too! Wasn't your pull-up admission the first piece of evidence used to kick you out of the ecto check-in?:p :p }(

Hiya, Soosan,

Is Briee up yet? Maybe I can sneak this by her. }( Hate to be posting questions about yoga on a HATE YOGA thread LMAO.

==========WARNING TO BRIEE : YOU DON'T SEE THIS YOU DON'T SEE THIS=======

Anyway, Soosan, I have read all your past comments and recommendations on the various past threads. Does that give you little chill? LOL.

I'm having a major problem weeding down my list and fear the worst is in my future. (A huge delivery.)

I'm getting, er, thinking of getting that is,....oh heck there are too many to list. On my wish list, I've got pretty much all the ones you, Lorajc and some others have suggested.

Here are the other ones that I'm curious about :

Baron Baptiste : Long & Lean (I plan to get Soul of Strength)
Rodney Yee : Yoga Burn (My friend has Power Yoga so I can probably bum it off him)
Ravi & Ana : The entire 12 workouts they have together (yeah, the ENTIRE series)
Yoga Journal : I know you recommend Yoga for Flexibility, but the others look so good, too...are they all worth getting (well, except for the pregnancy ones LOL)

Any words of advice you might be able to give me on any of those?

Thank you so much!

==========REMINDER TO BRIEE : YOU DIDN'T SEE THIS YOU DIDN'T SEE THIS=======

August, you're a riot! Briee needs to do some ujayi breathing and look inward to find the reason for her unprovoked hatred toward something as life-affirming as yoga. Maybe preparing for the yogathalon will help her snap out of it.

I've heard of the DVD's you listed, but have not done any of them. I hate buying workouts that don't challenge me enough so I no longer buy any I haven't heard raves about. What have you heard about them and where did you hear it? A lot of people don't like YJ's Yoga for Flexibility (it's dated and the warm-up vinyasa is atrocious), but if you have the patience to hold just a few poses for a while (I use it for add-on purposes), it really helps improve flexibility. What experience have you had with yoga so far and what DVD's do you have already?

Oh, and I did 896 chin-ups this morning.

I did 897 chins today, Soooooooosan ;):p :+

yogayogayogayogayoga ohhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm.

Today is sports circuit!!! Whee! I LOVE this class so much. It is a fantastic switch from the heavy lifting. Keeps shocking my body :)

Great work you guys! Happy doingwhatevermakesyouhappy day!

Debbie

My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is.
--Ellen Degeneres

Hiya, Soosan,

You know, I think Briee might actually like yoga but is in hiding. Why else would she have been posting in a yoga thread two years ago? Something is fishy. And it's not just the awful dinner I made tonight.

Oh, well, going into all the yoga I've practiced would take so many threads, I just don't know where to begin. Well, let's see here....what the heck, I'll just list the ones I've done so you know my background.

1) Basic Yoga for Dummies

The end.

And I first started doing them about, oh, now let me count up here, lemme see....about a week ago. But boy, I'm gettin good at it, hehe! I'm naturally quite flexible, but want to loosen up my torso more, and I'm particularly interested in the aspects of yoga being good for digestion, the deep breathing parts of it, and the getting a glazed donut part. Oh no, wait, not that last part.

I've been researching on Cathe, Collage, Videofitness and Amazon mostly. I have a problem with overly mystical or overly hippy things. I also don't like super trancy, earthy music sounds. Hmm. But if you haven't heard rah rahs about Yoga Journal, maybe that's a good sign for me to give it up, since I can't figure out which ones I'd want anyway LOL.

And that you are so into yoga but haven't done any of the DVDs I mentioned makes me wonder...

Tell me, does one get used to Bryan Kest's voice?

Oh yeah, me too, me too, 896 chin ups.

I'm ROTFLOL so hard and trying to remember all that is up there.

First...tell Rocky he can come out of downward squirrel...briefly.

August...this yoga thing goes WAY back to my thread (I just looked this up) in December of 04 (and probably before that) entitled "I am a yoga failure". Look it up for the heart wrenching details cause I am so computer illiterate I can't copy the thread. Nobody can say that I didn't try!!!!

As for you Sooooooooooooosan, my deepest apologies for the "HATE YOGA" title. It was meant to be "HATE" in an affectionate kind of a way - I think}( }( }( :p .

You want to hear something funny. I'm talking to the "city coordinator-entrepeneur" type person about getting a health club in our little town of Cashton (I was hoping they could put it in the new Organic Valley metropolis complex going up not too far from me) and I told him that I hold classes for several women who desperately want a club to go to with a large workout room. So his very nice assistant pops up from her office and excitedly exclaims "Oh yes, we need one so badly, I used to have a personal trainer who whipped me into shape and now I'm gaining weight again and I want so badly to have a club to go to". And I'm thinkin "you go girl!!! Keep pushing for this". And then she says "We have a club in Viroqua, but all they have is weights and I want a big room to take classes...and ALL I WANT TO TAKE IS YOGA". "Could you teach a yoga class?"...........#$$%^&**&^&^&^%$###$%%%.

So what do you think guys....could I teach a yoga class?

Briee (Life is full of ironic occurences - you've just got to laugh at them:7 :7 :7 )

Would someone please explain the squirrel thing? I'm so confused. And where is home? Who are these people?

Oh...and August....you are hysterical - I'm glad you are checkin in on our thread even though you do mention the Y word an awful lot.

Regarding the Y word.....you have quite the extensive background in Yoga. But have you tried these:

Donald Ducks Yoga for Duckies. (this ones not too tough, except for all those squat holds)

Yoga for the Cardio Hater (this ones geared specifically for you and requires very little lung capacity)

Yoga for the Banger (this ones geared for me - but I don't think it REALLY exists except in my dreams)

Yoga according to Gumby (this is advanced - don't try this at home)

Yoga Soccer (now this is a new twist)

Yoga for the Sweet Potatoe Man challenged (this one could be your answer to catching that little bugger)

The yoga sliding disc (this has a little cardio thrown in, but I think you'll like it - ie..you get into crane and someone pushes you around the room while balancing on the disc - fun fun fun!)

Briee (I think I'm going down to do chinups :p I almost forgot about getting kicked off the ecto site - but Bobbi wasn't far behind once she sported her bicep veins:p )

Edited: I can't remember what I was going to edit.

Man, this thread just keeps getting better!

August, wow, Basic Yoga for Dummies...that's a lot of yoga. You must be preparing for a trip to India to study with B.S. Iyengar.:p

The main reason I do yoga is to improve flexibility. There are other benefits (mainly that I feel like a ball of goo when I'm done), but for me, resistance training and cardio a la Cathe are much more for strength, muscle-building and cardio fitness. I don't know anything about how yoga aids in digestion, but it will increase flexibility in your torso like nothing else and the deep breathing is an awesome stress reliever and contributor to that "goo feeling." I mention all this to let you know where I'm coming from before I give you advice on DVD's.

I don't mind a hippie-vibe (i.e., Eoin Finn) in a yoga workout, but am also not all that interested in the spiritual or meditative side. Shiva Rea is about as "woo woo" as I can handle. Like I said, I mainly do it for flexibility gains. Since you're naturally flexibile and do Cathe workouts, I think you might like Yoga X. Tony's form/breathing aren't so hot, but his cuing is good and the poses and sequencing are challenging. I also think PY4H would be another great one to start with, especially because the premixes make it so versatile. Why not just start with one or two and see how often you wind up doing them? Bryan Kest's 1995 series is also good (a lot of bang for your 50-minute buck), but his voice and demeanor are extremely annoying and certainly don't improve with continuous use. Hope I've helped some!

>There are other benefits....feel like a ball of goo.

Now there's a worthy aspiration.:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 .

Briee (I'm ROTFLOL at this description.....this was one of those classic "will make me laugh all day" descriptions that Sooooooooooooosan is gifted in....and I just came up from doing 896 chins)

Cripes, I can't sleep.

Briee - LMAO, it was a thread for "I am a yoga failure"? Wai-hai-hai-hate just a minute. I must have been searching under "Favorite yoga." I sure wasn't looking up "Failure yoga"!!

I was totally ROTFLMAO about your job offer for the health club. You KNOW you want to do it! I'll help guide you through it! What with my yoga background and your yoga spunk, why, we could, we could....well no, I guess we really couldn't make much of that, could we.

I cracked up at your Y list. I will definitely look into that Yoga for the Sweet Potato Man Challenge. I've heard good things about that, except some people say that the background exercisers are gassy.

Michele - By the way, the squirrel thing. These chinsters have been talking about it for years. Shhh, I think it might be stemmed from some kind of head injury on their chin up bars, perhaps acquired when they couldn't successfully get all the way up.

Soosan - Yeah. I thought you might be impressed with my yoga background. Hate to brag, but I wanted to be clear.

I gotta tell you, I often talk about how much I love goop. Goo isn't far behind goop. I want to eat goop and be like goo.

Thanks for your advice. I've got PY4H on my list (and Shiva Rea). I've heard sooooo many great things about Bryan Kest that I can't help but keep his workouts on my list, but every time I watch the sample at Collage, I get a little spooked. The reason I'm making a huge list is because since I live overseas, the postal fee is out of control. I'm better off buying things I might possibly want all in one load, rather than to order a couple at a time and have them sent several times.

Besides, it's more fun. :)

Now that you mention it, I have heard good things about Yoga X (although not so good things about Tony). Maybe I'll take a look and read some reviews.

Thanks!

August - I had another idea. Do you have something like Netflix where you live? Netflix here has tons and tons of yoga dvds so you can try before you buy. Also, might be good to see if you will stick with yoga long term before you buy a ton. I did the same thing (buy a ton of videos) and I only use a few of the ones that I like and the rest are collecting dust.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.