The HATE Thread ROCKS Nov 2

August

Cathlete
Good morning!

Did it! Step Blast. And I even did the ending challenge. I liked it and I worked up a good sweat. But you know, I'm starting to wonder if I'm partially Cathe-cue-challenged. I seem to be lacking some important function in my brain to pick up on her cueing style for step. I mean, I don't have step cue problems with other difficult instructors, ain't sayin' no names (Christi. LOL). I'm definitely gonna get over that hump! C'mon Cathe step!

One other thing I learned. I totally cannot taste the cocoa powder when I put it in my protein pancakes. But dang, those pancakes are good!

Okay, I have more questions for the Y-Team (this includes you, Instructor Briee :* ). Can someone tell me if Sound of Strength with Baron Baptiste has a classroom jam-packed of people? For example, I'm also planning to get Long & Lean, where there are only two background exercisers, which I like. His Power Yoga series sounds great, but all those people in the room makes me feel oddly claustrophobic. Is that something one gets over (heck, my eyes are probably closed most of the time)? I can't find Power and Precision (oh, but is it only on VHS anyway?) at Amazon...any other Baron you'd recommend?

David Swenson's Short Forms. Is it a must-have?

And now Pilates-related LOL, has anyone done 10 Minute Solution Rapid Results Pilates? Or is this just frustrating because of the 10 minutes stops and goes? Did I already ask this? Where am I? What thread am I in right now? :D

Haaaaaa, I feel good considering I'm so on the verge of TTOM and I only slept 5 hours. :)

...........and is it just me, or do the background exercisers in the first part of Bryan Kest's Power Yoga look like they are getting in preparation to board the space pod?

OMG LMAO. Michele, I'm totally hungry and wanted to just eat anything in my cupboard, so I pulled out a protein bar, which I never eat at home. I've been carrying the bars at your good suggestion in a hard, plastic Ziplock box in my purse, and though they've gotten better (less melty), they're still half-melted. Well no duh, it's because, I've just discoverd, they're ALREADY melted!! They must have melted on their way over to me!

Haaaaa, funny.

What, so now, do I have to work? Can I spend the day responding to myself?

Hey, August, how you doing?

I'm good, thanks. I've got a bit of DOMS and they feel great.

Are you trying to avoid your work again?

Yeah. LOL.

You could do a yoga stretch now...

That's true. But I'm still digesting my protein bar, so maybe I should wait a bit longer.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Maybe I'll research some more. And then work.

Whatever you do, get the he!! to work.

Hello, again, August. How's work going?

Oh, you know. Kinda sleepy.

You could do your yoga now since you've digested and nobody is awake yet.

Hmm, well, that's a good idea. Thanks! I can always count on you for good advice.

Hi August,

I'm feeling bad that you are by yourself but really, what time is it over there? It's 2:50 a.m. here in California.

Did you do your yoga?

I need to start doing yoga again, but thought I'd tell you that Lorajc is right on with her recommendations (yoga included).

Because of her, I bought Eoin Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness and I really enjoy that one. It has great premixes in it. One of my favorites is Magically Hips.

I also bought Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti, which has a matrix you can program yourself (it's easy). What a beautifully filmed DVD! I did one section once that was soooo relaxing that I fell asleep in it.

I also own Bryan Kest's Power Yoga series (VHS). These are tough in that you are balancing on a leg that's been fatigued pretty well. I was shaking!!!

I have a beginning Yoga Zone Power Yoga (VHS). This one was given to me a few years ago as a Christmas gift and actually was what started me doing home workouts. Sure would have been cheaper in the long run if I'd have received some Almond Roca or something, huh? LOL.

Also have a Crunch Yoga.

I'd say you can't go wrong with Eoin Finn's, Shiva's or Bryan Kest's power yoga.

Whats a chakra? As in Dancing with them?

Jeanette

Hi Netta - Chakras are spinning vortexes (throughout the body), each radiating a particular energy that's important to your health, happiness and well-being. They are eight energy centers which begin at the base of your spine and continue upward to the top of your head. They are comlex and each radiate more than one quaility or emotion. It is said that when one of these centers is blocked, it can cause disease in the body. I learned all about them when I read "The Eight Human Talents" by Gurumukh...very good read. Dancin' the Chakras is just a Kundalini Yoga DVD in which you do warm up yoga and breathing and then some dancing with hip freeing movements that feels really good. Someone posted a whole article by Ravi and Ana about how and why dancing is so good for your chakras....but I can't remember everything it said. You might check out Raviana.com if you're really interested.

August - I have 10 Min Solutions Pilates ....but I've been unable to find time to fit my Pilates in. I'm supposed to do Pilates on my rest days...but I don't always do what I'm supposed to.

I believe Baron's Soul of Strength is a class of people. He walks around and instructs (like he does in other videos). I dont' do it that often cuz I have it on VHS and I like pose selections better on other stuff I own. I don't remember it having many hip openers, forward bending or twists (all of which I love).

Glad you liked Step Blast. You can preview Seasun's Straight Up Step at Collage.com or SeasunZ.com.

Oh, Jeanette, it's so kind of you to save me from my spell of insanity! :)

And to give me a minute to ignore my work. ;)

It's 8pm here in Tokyo. And I've just finished dinner.

Yup, I did a 30 minute sun salute with my one and only yoga DVD, and it felt really good. I hope I don't burn out of this workout before my new ones get here. I'll be ordering this week I think, but still it will take from 3-6 weeks to get here x( .

The one and only yoga DVD I have is one I bought a couple years ago and did only a couple times when I decided it wasn't for me. Thank goodness I thought to try it out again!

On my list to get, I've got the Eoin ones, and the Yoga Shakti one, also a few by Bryan Kest, the Crunch one, and a bunch more. I can't stop thinking about them anticipating how fun it's going to be to get started on them!

So do you hear this every time you do your Yoga Zone : "Hi. I'm Alan Finger." :) I just went to Collage and viewed the workout. I didn't realize someone else teaches this particular one (though thankfully, Alan Finger does his introduction LOL). It looks nice. Do you like it?

> Sure would have been cheaper in the long run if I'd have received some Almond Roca or something, huh? LOL.

Haha! Well, not if you got tooth decay! Bahaha!

As for the Dancing the Chakras, unfortunately I can't tell you a thing about it except that it's part of the Ravi and Ana series of Kundalini yoga and has gotten good reviews.

Oh man, I really can't wait to order them! I'm almost ready...

By the way, it's only 2:50am where you are in California....where in the world is Cathe's site originating in?

Lora, what do you believe? What? Don't leave us like that! :)

Do you like the 10-minute Pilates workout? Do you think it's worth getting?

Oh! You were editing.

Yeah, I can't imagine using VHS these days.

Ooh, I'll have to look for the article on Ravi and Ana on their site.

Lora,
Thanks for the info on the chakras. Vortexes, huh? We went to the Oregon House of Mystery last month and they talked about vortexes. Pretty interesting stuff.

August, what kind of work do you do? I know it has something to do with music, but what? So are you ahead of our time here or behind. Like it's 6:08 a.m. on Thursday right now. Is it Thursday for you or Wednesday? My brain is not working this morning.

I've got to go to the prison now. Seriously, I work at a State prison.

I may be in for a yoga check in. Someone start it, they will come...

Jeanette

>I've got to go to the prison now. Seriously, I work at a State prison.

The way you wrote that totally cracked me up. LMAO.

Have a great day at work!

Oregon House of Mystery to talk about vortexes? OMG. Sooo Oregon LOL (I'm from Oregon).

It's almost 11:20pm Thursday night right now. That's why it's so easy for me to always start the thread here. I'm ahead of everyone by a longshot!

I'm a songwriter and vocalist, so my work hours are fairly bizarre. I'm either totally busy and never home or spend days at a time not even stepping out of my apartment.

Half my work I do at home alongside my lovely friend PowerBook :) , that's why I have the luxury to check in every three seconds or so. ;)

Netta - I want to start one but I only practice a couple times a week....would it be a weekly check in or daily? I really need to try working some Kundalini in on my evenings.....but only if I can drag my butt of the computer!!

ETA: I can't believe you never heard of your Chakras. Simply put, they are just energy centers that run up and down your spine...from your base of the spine to the crown of your head (I believe your aura - electromagnetic field) may be the one that radiates from the top of your head. It is really quite interesting.........weird but interesting. It is much different than traditional yoga....that's for sure!!

Briee is going to be so fascinated. LOL.

How about a weekly yoga thread? I'd love to join in, though I won't have much to say unless you'd like to hear about Basic Yoga for Dummies every day :* . But at least then I won't have to irritate my fellow cardio hatin friends with it every day :) .

ETA that I'm not implying that I'd rather irritate my yoga lovin friends! :D

Good morning August, Jeanette, and Lora!!

August, no---YOU crack me up--lol! It looks like you found a way to entertain yourself while the rest of us were sleeping. By the way, I think Cathe's site originates from the east coast--New Jersey maybe?

I love the Y-Team reference. I think if you start a yoga check-in you should call it that. Speaking of yoga, in all your research did you find a nice, calm, soothing, before-you-go-to-bed kind of yoga? Lora--any recs?

Oh hey, congratulations on Step Blast. Yea, I think Cathe's cueing is quite different from Christi's. I think Cathe cues pretty much as she's doing a move, or maybe ever so slightly right before it. I think Christi cues well before a move. I'm used to Cathe's cueing so it doesn't bother me...well, you know what I mean. STEP bothers me...not the cueing:7

And would someone please spell out Eoin Finn's name phonetically? I cannot figure out how to pronounce his name--:eek: :p

Jeanette, wow, you work in a prison!? Do you work directly with the inmates? Does it scare you at all? I used to work in a major teaching hospital and we had a couple of 4 bed wards that were reserved for prisoners from a nearby state penitentiary. They posted 2 guards at all times--one inside the room and one outside the door. The door was kept locked and the prisoners were shackled to the beds. We used to get some interesting characters, like people who shoved things into every imaginable orifice so they could come to the hopsital:eek: . They always had the most fun xrays:7. The most dramatic event that I can recall was when a prisoner came into the ER and overtook the guard, grabbed his gun, and took a doctor and a couple of nurses hostage in the basement of the hospital. It was pretty scary. Everyone was released unharmed, thank God!

Well, I've had a busy morning which is why I'm so late posting. I did my Cardio Coach workout yesterday and burned about 400 calories :) . I never got teh opportunity to preview my new Cathe DVD's but I'm going to do that here in a few minutes.

Diane, Kate, Dana, Jana, Ellen--how are you? :*

I'll see you later, chickies:* :*

Hiya, MIchele!

Jersey, huh? So much time difference going on all over the place, isn't there! It sometimes feels like everyone is asleep all the time. :-( (;) )

Michele, girl, I have done so much research on so many yoga workouts I can't remember a dang thing about any of them. I'll be able to tell you better in about......um, six or seven weeks. :eek: I hope Lora does start the thread, then I can talk on and on about how much I totally feel a difference in my stomach pooch thanks to starting up yoga.

Yeah, Cathe and Christi cueing is pretty different. Christi tells you the cue a couple beats in advance which I find really easy to follow. Of course, for Cathe, my thinking is racing ahead trying to remember what comes next, so it eliminates any suffering of thinking "when is this cardio going to end?" because, like Diane mentioned, you're too busy thinking to be feeling. LOL. Bahaa, yeah, I guess you've been spending your cardio time with Eli these days, so Mr. Step is getting lonely.

Eoin is pronounced : Waaaohhhheeeen. No, just kidding, believe it or not, I think it's Ian.

The prison talk is amazing! Taken hostage at a hospital! That must have been pretty scary!

Yippee for you and Coach Sean! 400 calories?! That is AWESOME.

Have fun previewing!

August, I hope you will NEVER stop talking about the effects of yoga on your stomach pooch. We haters love the distraction from cardio, AND we just love your goofball stories :+ :*

I think once you learn Cathe's choreography her cueing will suddenly just CLICK for you, at least that's what happened for me. There's another way to look at this, too, and you might want to add this to your research projects--the confusion factor increases the synaptic firing in your brain and makes you smarter. I know this for a fact.

what is going on? Why is everyone up so early? I can understand August as she is a month ahead. But while I have internet problems, everyone else starts getting up twelve hours early?

You're always so sweet, Michele!

Hey, does the frustration factor also have good benefits? LOL. Just kidding, of course! I definitely enjoy the brain exercise, as well. No joke!

My middle finger and the bones and muscles and nerves connecting it to my hand to my arm to my neck is killing me! My old computer click place is broken and I have to push down super hard to get it to click, which also makes me inadvertently press my middle finger down stronger to move the mouse. Any of you guys use a cordless mouse?

No, I absolutely am NOT going to do research on computer mice. :+

Oh but hey, you remember the "new" computer I bought before I went to the States and then had trouble with it? Apparently it's ready and waiting for me. Thank goodness!

Now if Kate would just get a better server.

Hey, Kate!

I've been working and needing chit chat but everyone had been asleep...but they heard my cries and came to my rescue!

And now you're here, too. How you doing? When is your server going to be figured out?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.