::: CHEETAHS ::: Thurs., 8/24

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Good morning, cheetahs!

My left calf & achilles really started to bug me yesterday afternoon...I kept stretching and used the Stick and debated this morning whether or not I should run...now I hear rain out there, so I'm taking that as a "sign." Will see how it feels later. If a run doesn't seem wise, then maybe I'll go for KPC and one of the GS.

Mattea :: I know the answer is the same as your husband's -- I've GOTTA cut back on the hills, but it sucks bc I really love the challenge of them and they are unavoidable around here, anyway.

Wendy Marie :: welcome to our check-in. Hope the leg issue clears. Many of us are having trouble right now.

Hi to Wendy, Laurie, Laura, Carole, Jess, Elaine, Christine, Thomasina, Shelly, Katie, Colleen, Natalie, Marcia, Judy, Mattea, Gayle, Pamela, Barb, Barbara, and anyone I'm accidentally leaving out.

Have a great day ~ hope all the ailing cheetahs (self included) get back to form QUICK!
-cathy :)

Cathy: Hope your calf/achillies is better soon! My right calf has been very tight/sore lately as well. :-(

Well, I had to tweek my rotation to make it work this week since I went off of it yesterday due to feeling like crud. I will be splitting up my weight work between today and tomorrow instead of doing a full body work out. My plan at this point is to do L&G today and CTX upper body tomorrow. }( }( }(

Have a great day ladies!:)

Cathy ~ Oh no!!! Not you too, I must be a jinx!!! My dh rolled a ball all over my calf/ achilles last night & it KILLED again but seems to be feeling better today. I think you're wise to take a day off from running! I really want to get KPC, it's on my wish list! Wish I had money!!! :p I do a lot of hills too, no real choice around here. I can't avoid them.

Wendy ~ Sounds like a good plan to split up your days! Enjoy your workouts! I don't have either of those, are they good ones??

Wendy Marie ~ Welcome to the checkin!! My running buddy Erin is dealing w/ IT band right now, it's a real pain, literally!!

I was supposed to bike w/ Erin this morning but she stood me up!! I'm surprised because in all of the last year that we've run & biked that's never happened! I'm thinking she must have overslept because there were no lights on at her house & I didn't want to go wake anyone up so I just came home. I did PLB which felt great, I love that workout. I'm going to either take Allison for a bike or a long walk this morning in the jogger/ trailer. I'm not running til Sat for our long run.

Not much else today. We got all of our errands done y'day so today is laundry & spending time outside!

Oh yeah, I added the girls first day of school pics to my picture trail. It's in the August '06 album, first 3 pics!! TFL!

Hugs,

Wendy :: how is L&G? Have it but have never done it. I have to hand it to you for squeezing in all those workouts despite feeling like hell! When do you start work at the gym, btw?

Jess :: nah, don't worry...you didn't jinx anything. The tight calves issue has been plaguing me for a good three weeks now. It's something I dealt with years ago when I first started running (led to AT, actually) - so they're my weak spot, I guess. The massage two weeks ago helped, but then they go right back to being knotted and tight again. So more stretching, fewer hills (guess I'm gonna have to walk 'em :(), and rest when needed are in store for me.

-cathy

Jess: Sorry to hear that Erin "dissed" you. As you said, I'm sure it was not intentional. Hope your calf feels better soon! L&G is a great leg work out and CTX UBS is a tough endurance work out for upper body. I like them both but don't do them often because they are long considering they aren't full body.

Cathy: L&G is a great leg burner!}( It's definately an endurance work out! I think I will be starting at the gym in September. She wasn't totally sure though. She will call me when the schedule is set to let me know. Just as well...with Joey being sick, I couldn't work right now anyway!:eek:

My calves tend to be tight a lot too. It seems that it's a hard area to stretch & KEEP stretched out well! I would love to get a massage, is it real expensive?? I'm thinking a deep tissue massage would be wonderful!!

And thanks for peeking at my pics!! They look so grown up!

Hugs,

Yeah, I know Erin & I'm know she'd never do it intentionally! No biggie, I was actually kind of relieved! It was just too dark out to bike on my own, I couldn't see anything & wouldn't want to injure myself! At least w/ someone else it doesn't seem so dark, I guess??

L&G sounds like a good leg workout! I hope Joey continues to feel better!

Hugs,

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...don't you hate internet trouble!! So what did you get from the UPS man??? Yuk, this achilles trouble is getting around! KPC would be a good choice...:)

Wendy...sorry too about your crud. Did doing Bodymax make you feel any better yesterday? Spliting up your weight work today and tomorrow sounds like a good idea. Hope Joey is feeling better today.

Jess...be careful with that achilles tendon. Having a couple of days off running should help and being close to your taper weeks is good also. I am glad you DH helps with the massages! A deep tissue massage would be great. I think they run anywhere between $60-90 depending on where you live.

Mattea...the Elliptical has been working great!!! I warmed up 15 min on it yesterday and had a great 5 mile interval run! I would definitely pick and Elliptical over a treadmill but that's just me...:)...Good job upping the weights in MM! You might have to get a tougher band (they do come in resistances)...

Shelly...how scary about the groin! I have had some tweaks like that...glad the Elliptical helped...yes, we do learn our lessons...I have also.

Christine...runners are notorious for pushing thru pain. ITB was always tough for me to push thru, but cutting back and doing the right stretched and ice always helped fast. Tendonits was another story for me...so just take it easy and ice...massage the calf area above the sore tendon also.

Elaine...so sorry about the chest cold. Hate those...I hope it is gone by your 20 miler...

Katie...good job with Imax2...hope you back is doing better

Wendy Marie...nice to see you posting here...:)..if you stretch, ice and take it easy now you could be ready for a 10K in a month!!

Well, I have a story about my DH and the Elliptical. He used it yesterday for the 1st time. He has not exercised much in the last few years. I told him not to go past 10 min. He barely made 5...the resistance was on 1! By a few hours later he was actually sore....he did say it was a good sore...so I hope he will keep it up 3 times a week and get back in shape!!

I'll be doing S&H legs, a 45 min Elliptical progam and maybe some Pilates after.

Have a great day...

Hi, ladies.

Jess-I checked out the pics and how CUTE are your kids?!?!?!? LOL Also, I took a look at your half marathon pics....YOU ROCK! You look fantastic, too!

I LOVE L&G!!!!!!! Gets my vote! lol

OK.....this morning was a 7 mile run, nice and steady. Then a good stretch!

School begins Monday and I'm planning on MORE outdoor running from now on. It's going to be so much easier, knowing I don't have to fight to get a sitter for the boys for runs. Because of that, I have offically moved my long runs to Mondays beginning this coming week. I'm scheduled for 10-12 Monday. I LOVE running with the training team (Leukemia Society's), but we meet at 6am on Saturday mornings. It's SOOOOO tough finding a sitter each and every weekend for that hour on a Saturday. Having switched long run days, I feel like a HUGE weight has been lifted!

OK, must run.

Gayle

Morning ladies. Well, my back feels much better today (however my entire upper body is in pain from PUB yesterday:7 ), so I did a 3 mile run. It wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that it's still so hot here at 5:00. I can't wait until it cools down. I need to start running outside more instead of relying on the treadmill for my training.

Personals later, I have to get in the shower.

Katie

Morning:) I'm just cooling off from a most pleasant 7k run, temps were wonderful, cool surfaces from last night's rain,, I can see why late summer and fall are a lot of folk's favourite time to run:) What a fabulous way to start the day. Off to shower and work in *YIKES* 40 minutes.....personals later:)

Take Care
Laurie:)

Good Morning! How are the lovely Cheetah ladies today?! (I think I’ve had too much coffee!!).

Cathy – I think we are all jinxed!! Good idea laying off the run! I’m not running until Friday at the earliest, and that might be nixed. We’ll see. Even be careful with KPC – my Achilles bothers me on certain moves. And Legs and Glutes is great! One of my favorite leg workouts because it’s more fun and less serious, although she works you hard! It’s very endurance based and moves from exercise to exercise quickly. Uses only dumbbells – no bar. DD17 loves it.

Wendy- my rotation is always a work in progress, so I know what you mean! Hope your calf is better too!!! Starting in September is exciting! I think it’s a great thing for you to do this job!

Jess – All of your talk about biking got ME back on my bike and trainer. Not outdoors yet- need to get my bikes serviced before that, but at least I’m riding again! Thanks!! And your girls are absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Carole – That’s funny about DH! Good that he’s getting back into it, though, and the endurance will come with time, as you know… Thanks for the tips on my tendonitis and IT Band (hey I’d rather deal with both at once then at two separate times!). I’m feeling better – the IT Band has yet to twinge, so I figure if I take it easy again today, I may just be okay there.

Katie – so glad to hear your back is feeling better!

Laurie – good job on the run! Oh yeah, late summer and fall are great. Early spring is too!

Well, another day without running, will I ever survive?! I’m planning on doing both of the PS Upper Body workouts today (PS CSB and PS BTA) followed by a 40 minute iCycle. Then ice for the heel and knee.

Good morning all! I was a little slow getting out of bed and stiff in general but otherwise doing okay. My right groin pull seems to have pretty much healed:) I will go for a CAUTIOUS 4 mile run and then a circuit workout. I'm thinking Gauntlet! We'll see....

Cathy- Alot of cheetahs with calf/achilles problems! Running hills certainly doesn't help this much. I read about a trick of running steeper hills that is supposed to tremendously lighten the strain on the lower legs. You turn both feet slightly sideways so you're actually pushing off the sides of your feet more then the front ball.
You would alternate sides with each hill of course. It may look a little funny but if it helps..WTH!

Wendy- It sounds like your cold is losing it's grip I hope :) I love L&G, not only a tough workout but lots of fun too!

Jess- Sorry you missed out on your bike ride with your friend! I think it's a good idea to look into a good massage. Carole swears by them! I've been considering taking the plunge myself :)

Carole- I sure hope you DH didn't get too discouraged and will keep up with the eliptical! I wish I knew what magic you used to get him to try! I'm hoping when the weather cools I can get my DH to join me on my runs (either walking or biking) Right now I can't get him out of bed when I leave! Great leg workout for you, as usual!

Gayle- You sound like you're right on track with your running! It certainly will be easier on you to get outside with the kids in school now. It's too bad you can't get out with the team for your long runs but certainly understandable. On mondays at least you'll have the popular running trails to yourseif and can go on your own schedule.

Katie- glad to hear you're having a good soreness today ;-) I wouldn't feel bad about getting most of your training on a treadmill this time of year. Those Phoenix temps are nothing to take lightly!
There are elite marathon runners who also do a majority of training on the TM. You do what you have to!

Laurie- Your enthusiasm is contagious! Sounds like you had a great morning run!

Christine- Hope your achilles problems clear up soon! I haven't done the PS workouts in ages. You've sparked my interest and I'll have to dust them off soon!

Okay , time to get moving. I'll post later to let y'all know how th run went!

tata
ShellyC

Good (10 more minutes of morning left) Cheetahs!

I've been up since WAAAYYY too early in order to get a longer run in and then go furniture shopping with DH. We need so much furniture to fill the new house, but don't have a ton of money to spend, but want something decent and nice quality, so the rooms are still empty, LOL!
Anyway, I'm off for Napmax soon:)

Cathy-I know what you mean about the hills, unless it's an interval run I tend to think of any run without them as "easy", no matter how long. I even sometimes charge up them during intervals :p One thing I read was to try and run some of your hills backwards (just be sure that it's very safe territory).

Wendy-Glad you're feeling up to working out today (you HAVE to be in order to do L&G!). You were smart to take yesterday off, I wish I always listened to my body like that;-)

Jess-I'm going to have to attack my DH's calf with a tennis ball tonight and see if that helps. He ran this morning (all flat), and iced it when he got home, but it's still acting up. And just in case you didn't know this already, you have the most BEAUTIFUL daughters!!

Wendy Marie-Welcome!! Don't worry if you forget anybody (it happens to all of us) and you'll catch that person the next time around.

Carole-Oh, is that like a 'band-dare' Miss SuperCarole? What color do you use? Extreme Black with steel tension? LOL:+ I'm so going to start pricing ellipticals and slowly convincing DH it's better for his calf anyway}( How cool that you DH is getting some use out of it too! Maybe you could offer some massages for those good sore times, as incentives, you know;-)

Gayle-I'm so glad you can run free, free, free now!

Katie-Yeah, PUB will get you everytime, it's all those endless reps! Nice job on Imax 2 by the way.

Laurie-Yes, it was in the low 50's for my whole run today, and the sun was coming up, and I was way high in the hills, so I too am starting to see why this is the time of year for running!

Chrisine-Healing vibes~~~~ I own, but have never actually done the PS upper bodies. What are they like?

Hi Barb, Shelly, Elaine, Laura, Marcia, Barbara, Pamela and someone real special who I'm sure that I'm forgetting!

Today's run, was ummm, longer than planned. That will teach you to map first and run second, LOL! 8.22 miles (the first 4 of which are pretty much uphill.... Abs later, after nap....
Mattea

Shelly-I'm so glad you're feeling better! But the Gauntlet is NOT cautious, LOL! Oh fellow queen of the super circuits}(

Hi Wendy Marie! Welcome to our checkin! I checked yesterday's posts and saw yours just now. I'm sorry you're dealing with ITB syndrome. That's a toughie to deal with! Proper stretching is of paramount importance. That's great you're training for a 10k. Will this be your first?

ShellyC

Hey Mattea- I can see why you need a nap after that run...WTG! Shopping for a new home is so fun!!! You can find some great bargains in second hand stores. Have a nice rest!

ShellyC

Hi ladies!

I am finally feeling better today. Still have a cough but it's the tail end of whatever I had so I am finally looking forward to working out. I have to do some shifting of my schedule so will be doing my 90 minute elliptical workout today along with PUB.

I'll come back with personals after my weight workout!

OMG!....I did the 9th out of 10 programs on my Elliptical. If any of you runners know what a ladder workout is...this was one! Started easy on resistance 3 for a bit then 4 for like 2 min then for 5,6,7,8,9,10 you did 4 min on each resistance increasing the speed the 3rd and 4th minutes, slowly going up to resistance 10!!! I really had a tough time keeping up with the speed in resistance 6 & 7 but did better for 8,9, and 10. I was sooooo glad to come back down with 4 min at 8, then 4 min at 6 and 2 min at 4 then 2 min at 3...my Average HR was 155!...now I am wiped out.....http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gif[/img]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.