::: CHEETAHS ::: Is it Monday already? 9/25

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Good morning, everyone! At least I think it's morning. I'm having trouble waking up here. :)

Still have DOMS but plan to get something in after school - not sure what yet. Probably just weights.

Hope you have great runs/workouts! Will check back later and try do some personals.

-cathy :)

Good morning Cathy and all other Sekcy Cheetahs!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITS REALLY MONDAY x( x( x( x( I hate mondays x( I feel like Garfield:+

Todays workout is shoulders and calves. I think I'm ganna take abs off on mondays from now on. Gatta give em a brake!

Cathy- same here. I didn't wanna move this morning. Its freezing here. I hate maines weather in fall. Freezing mornings, warm afternoons. SUX}( Wishing you a nice warm day Cathy:)

Hi to all other cheetahs! Have a great day (if thats possible on a monday) Love you all:*

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.
-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Good Morning girls.

Cathy and Adri, Have a good day at school and good work outs ladies. :)

Cathy, Yes, I DID rest! I was tempted a few times to break out the weights but I resisted!:p

I have full body weights (possibly HSTA sans cardio??) on tap for nap time and a run w/my friend this evening. :)

BBL!

G'morning Cheetahs!! Rest day here for me today, I think I deserve it! :p My knee is still really sore, I'm icing it again. (Sarah, I don't think it's IT band, my friend that I run with has that) I woke up around 3AM & it was really inflamed & tender so I took some Advil. I'm not all *that* sore in my legs, not as bad as I thought!! I know those squats & lunges I've been doing w/ Cathe has really strengthened my legs a LOT!! If my darn knee weren't hurting I'd consider going for a walk or something!

Ok, here's a full marathon report...

Of course it will probably be long as usual!! First of all, NO rain!!! It was chilly to start (in the 50's) but it felt great!! A little cloudy & the sun came out by about mile 17, I think?? (I got a little sun on my nose & cheeks!)

Anyway, I started out feeling great. NO bathroom issues, and I just felt strong (I think the taper was a good thing!). I didn't stay w/ my friends Erin & Melissa for long, they were not planning to run my pace. I found a few nice people to run with & chat with along the way, and my hardest miles were when I was pretty much ALL alone. It seemed I'd go in spurts where there seemed to be people about .25 mile ahead & behind me. It was neat though, there were bands, marching bands, and all kinds of musicians along the way. It was a nice course & not too hilly. I was soooo happy when I hit the half & saw 2:03 which was my goal & just knew I could finish in under 4:15. I had a few walks w/ the water stations & I think I did 4 vanilla gu's in all? (I lost track, might have been 5.) Then it hit close to 15 when I started feeling pain in my right knee, which is strange. I've NEVER had pain in my right knee, or anything on my right side!! (it's always my left achilles & my left foot where I had tendonitis). Anyway, it was bearable but I had to slow down. Then it all went downhill after mile 18. I was in pain. I knew I could finish it, but it was really hurting. I took some quick walk breaks & stretched just a bit thinking it might help. NOPE, it hurt. I hit 20 miles & could see the finish line, but then we had to run 3 miles out & back to really finish. It was the *worst* 6.2 miles of my life. My calves were cramping & I just felt every agonizing step. Thankfully I did NOT have to use a portapotty or even felt the need to go to the bathroom, which might mean I didn't drink enough (although I drank at every station, sometimes 2 cups!). It was sheer will & prayer that got me through those 3 miles out. I thought of everyone, family, friends, and all of you awesome ladies!! As I turned around & ran back a ways I see Erin & Melissa!!! I was thrilled to see them & just kept hanging on. 25 miles was a killer & I tried to pick up the pace but couldn't get too much speed w/out major pain in my knee. Then as I'm getting closer I see Amy (our other friend who ran the half) & she ran me in, which was awesome. They were calling out your name as you near the finish line so I hear Jessica _____ from IL which was neat & then I see Greg, the girls, & my Mom calling for me & holding up the signs that they made special for me. I got all teary & crossed that finish line. Wow, what a rush. But then I was seriously hobbling around, I was in a lot of pain. I got some water & fruit & stretched out a bit & started to feel a little better. Then Erin & Melissa finished up- they finished around 4:52. I'm so proud of them & I'm so lucky to have such great friends to run with. (and they both have been fighting off injuries)

Splits:

1- 8:56
2- 9:15
3- 9:18
4- 8:58
5- 8:44
6- 9:07
7- 9:04
8- 9:55
9- 9:37
10- 9:33
11- 9:35
12- 9:59
13- 9:23
14- 9:57
15- 10:36
16- 10:30
17- 10:00
18- 10:46
19- 11:42
20- 11:23
21- 10:54
22- 12:12
23- 13:24
24- 11:42
25- 12:22
26- 12:11
.39- 10:10

Official time: 4:33 (Garmin time 4:32:59, must have stopped it a second too soon!)

I am really proud of myself for finishing. I won't lie- it wasn't easy but I did it!! I felt crummy the rest of the day- had the chills, then my usual hot flashes (weird long running thing), we drove back to my Mom's (45 min drive) & I took my shower there & she treated us to my favorite restaurant. Then we headed home & it was good to be home! I'm hoping it isn't anything major, I do plan on taking maybe a week off from running.

And I gotta give kudos to my fabulous dh, he has been so great supporting me through the long runs & taking care of the girls. My Mom was a tremendous help also & I know I wouldn't be where I am w/out their love & support. (even if they think I'm a nut for running! )

OK, there were tons more details that I can't even begin to process yet, but there's the *short* version!! Oh yeah, and I did my hair in piggy tails/ braids & got called Pippi a few times along the route, funny!

I added some pics and NOT all are very pretty!! I looked horrible after finishing & had NO color to me. I didn't start to really feel better until after I took a shower & relaxed a bit at my Mom's. Click on my picture trail in the recent pics folder!

Thanks for reading & supporting me!!

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...I didn't want to get up either this morning!! I feel EXACTLY the way you do about bridal showers!! I have probably tried my darndest to get out of going to many!! The recliners on the couch are really great...:)

Wendy...enjoy your HSTA weight workout. I'll have to try that sometime!

Laura...I felt the Elliptical helped my running in about 2 weeks.

Christine...funny story about your DD's blue hair! I never did anything bizarre to my hair as a teen. Nope, just the long haired surfer look!! I'm glad you got my subliminal icing message...:)..how is the achilles today? I think it'd be great if your DH and you get and use an Elliptical.

Jess...hope you are getting some rest today. I do agree with Sarah about the pain being ITB. It happened to me when I ran the Tahoe marathon, but the good news is with rest, stretching and ice it away fast!! How did your friend Erin do?

Adri..yep it really is Monday! I wish I could send some of our nice weather your way...:)..as I was never a real fast runner, the distance runs were more appealing to me. I don't think doing run longs burns off muscles. Most distance runners have very muscular legs...

First thing this morning I am getting a massage....:)...then later this afternoon I'll do my Elliptical and GS Chest & Back.

Have a great day...:)

Great marathon story Jess! I am glad you didn't get rain! The pictures are not bad. Not many look great after running 26.2 miles!! I am so proud of you for finishing. I am glad your friends finished too. it is not easy with injuries...enjoy your rest today, you deserve it!!

Aw Jess, Your story made me teary! I am in total awe of you girl! Good for you! I feel awful that your knee gave you trouble. That stinks but you toughed it out and finished with an awesome time anyway girl! WOO HOO! You are my hero!!!:+ :+ :+

So when's your next one? ;)

Good morning all,

I got to the start line and instead of 3.1 miles they said because it was on trails it was going to be 4 miles instead of three. I didn't even know if I could finish 3 let a lone 4. Anyway, I did the four miles in 29:35 which gave me first in my age group. (only 4 people) and fourth overall out of 18. The back of my knee and knee really hurt a lot. I had problems with my knee, now its really bad. I probably will not be running in any more races. Thanks for all the support. I may not even have finished except I was going to post here and I couldn't say I was to scared to do it.

Jess, Contratulations on finishing a marathon. Way to go. I hope your knee feels better soon.

Carole, I am glad you told me to do a 5K instead of a 10K to start. I would never have made it.

Adri, I am not ready for this cold weather. Maybe we will get a warm up before the really cold weather sets in.

Hi to all, Have a great day.

Congratulations Jess! Good job! Great race report! Your pictures looked just fine! You should have seen my picure a few weeks ago, after just a 5k! It was horrible! I am sorry about your knee, though! Hope it starts feeling better soon!

Hi everyone! I used to check in very sporadically (a while back), but I have been just "lurking" lately. :+ I was doing a lot of crosstraining with step, kickbox, running, elliptical, walking....for a while. The past several months, I started trying to take my running more seriously and to train for our area distance run that was on Sept. 2. Well, I didn't make it to the distance run this year (15 miler) , but I plan on at least a 1/2 marathon in the next few months! I did do the 5k of that event and a 10k last weekend. My times were very embarrassing, although in the 10k, I won 1st in my age group (44-49 yrs). That was probably just a "fluke" and there was probably just a few in my age group!

If you guys wouldn't mind, may I join this checkin? All of you guys are a great inspiration! I am hoping beyond hope that I am able to keep up my running and add a lot more mileage in the next several months!

Saturday was 6.25 mile run and the floorwork of Firm Volue I.
Sunday was a 3 mile run and Cathe's GS Legs.

Linda

Linda

Happy (?) Monday everyone!

Heel is better, thanks to ice. I plan to do P90X Chest and Back today followed by Spinervals, so I don’t aggravate it – and I hope to get one final long run in tomorrow. We’ll see. If I don’t, I don’t. I’ll survive. And no worries Carole – I’ll ice it three times today, too… DH made Indian food last night and as usual I ate WAY too much. But, I was good the rest of the day, and I’ve discovered that if I do P90X and run, I can pretty much eat what I want – within reason. I don’t lose weight when I do that, but I don’t gain, either. But, with the Half less than two weeks away, I’m cleaning up my diet. I want to feel my best for that.

No running today, even if I want to. Wild fires everywhere around here! One is up in the hills – where I have hiked – about 10 miles from me. I’m not in any danger, but the air is smoky. So, I’m safe…

By the way, for any who want to know, I just ordered the pants Cathe wears in Drill Max, from Activa Sports (www.activasports.com). They even come with the white sash. The have the top as well, but right now they only offer it in blue and in medium (I’m not medium, and I want pink). I emailed them to ask if they will have other options as it states it’s a new produce. I like that top. The pants are normally $64.99, but Activa has them on sale for $44. More stuff to sneak in the house… *rolls eyes*

Cathy – Good morning! Enjoy your day!

Adri – Hope you warm up! Getting out of bed on nice cold days is TOUGH!

Wendy – enjoy your day, and I hope you’re continuing to bask in your accomplishment! HSTA sounds like fun!

Oooh, Carole, I’m jealous!! ENJOY that massage. And yes, I’ll continue to ice the heel. I think I was so worried about my heel when I was running that I ran a bit funny – my hips were stiff (not sore, just a bit stiff) this morning. Never had that before. I’m planning on a good stretch today as well.

JESS!!! Thanks so much for telling us about your marathon!! Wow, you have strength and courage! I agree with Wendy – you are a hero! To finish in that much pain – you are a cheetah through and through! I cannot image running 26.2 miles and looking gorgeous. You look really good!! Kudos to your DH for being so wonderful! *Sending healing vibes to Jess’s knee*

Karen – for someone who didn’t think they could run 3 miles, let alone 4 on a trail – you did FABULOUS!!! WOW! Hope your knee feels better, too.

Linda – Glad to have you here! WELCOME!!

Hey girls!

Me and my running partner are thinking of signing up for a 5 mile road race on Sunday October 8th. Keeping in mind that I've only done a 5 miler ONCE so far and that was on the TM...am I crazy? It's only 2 weeks away! It's a run/walk though so we won't feel odd walking parts of it if we need to...I am hoping though that if we keep it slow, we can run the whole thing.

What do y'all think?

Will be back in a bit for personals!:)

Thanks!

ETA: I'm totally bummed now. I emailed the race coordinator to find out when and where they will post the results as I obviously am curious to see where I placed in the pack on saturday. They don't keep track beyond the first 3 female and male finishers. What kind of cr@p is that!? I am sooo pist! They say they will keep track/post everyone's place starting with next year's race...well that does me no good. ACK!x(

Good morning ladies!
Today I have no clue as to what workout to do. I am a little sore from my 7 miler yesterday, but not sore in a bad way just a little DOMS. I think I may do some step workout on a 6 inch step. I always feel like such a wimp when I lower the step. I find my knees like it better when I lower it.

Cathy, have a great day at school and get those weights in:)

Adri(little cheetah) have a super day at school!

Wendy, glad you enjoyed your rest day. Sounds like an awesome workout planned. How many days are you running a week now?

Carole, great way to start the day with massage! My hubby got me a gift certificate a while back to a spa for a free deep tissue massage. I am a little nervous about going, a little shy about it. Were you that way at first? I know I sound like I am 12. Enjoy it and your workout:)

Linda, Welcome Back!!! I am fairly new here and I love it. It is so inspirational and what a wonderful group of women. I have also gottne in to a lot more running recently and love it. Great job on all your races.

Jess, That is truly amazing. I was also teary eyed reading your post. It is amazing the will you had and I really hope your knee feels better soon. You really are a hero to all of us. Take care.

Karen, GREAT JOB!!!!!! You must have been suprised learning you were doing 4 instead of 3. Great finish time! I hope your Knee gets better.

Christine, I LOVE Indian Food!!! I can't believe you hubby knows how to make it, YUM!!! 2 weeks until your half, wow. Are you ready? How long have your long runs been? I am defintiley workint at having longer runs in my rotation and feeling good afterwards. I find my body aches after anything over 10. Maybe I just to adapt to it. Have a great workout today!

hello to everyone else! I still don't know what workout to do....hmmmm.

Susan

Susan,

Don't be afraid to keep the step lower. With all of the running you do now, you are probably better off!

I try to run 3-4 days a week. It usually ends up being 3. I am going to try to take it outdoors more often now that the weather is cooler. Once the *COLD* sets in though, I may run back inside to the TM with my tail between my legs!!! :7 :p

Personals...FINALLY! LOL ;)

Carole: Man, I did HSTA w/o the cardio and never sweat so much during a weight w/o in my life! You definately have to try this some time! }( Enjoy that massage? :)

Karen: You did phenomimal in your race! ^5's to you girl!:+

Linda: Welcome to our checkin!:) And I'm sure your race times were NOT embarrassing!

Christine: Your half is gettin' close girl! Can't wait to hear about it! I'm jealous of your dinner last night! :9

Okay guys,

I am taking a rest day. After not being to enthused about working and being undecided, I am taking a day off! I am supposed to do this once a week anyway, so that is what I am doing. Why do I feel so guilty? Anyway, I will try to enjoy it.

Wendy, I will definitley try that weight workout. I love that dvd anyway.

Susan

Susan - my DH is Indian, so that helps with his ability to make Indian food. He made spinached beef and chicken curry along with some chickpeas. Oh it was wonderful, but I'm still feeling it today! I'll let the kids finish it. I'm not going to touch it! :)
Don't feel guilty about taking a day off - enjoy it! I've run 10 miles - my longest. I figure that's far enough, but I would like to get in 11 tomorrow, if my heel is up for it. We'll see.

Wendy - I'm positive you can do the 5 miler. You have the right idea, take it slow and enjoy it. You can always train to be faster, but your first 5 miler should be slow and steady. You'll be running your 5 miler when I run my Half - so I'll be thinking of you!

Jes and Karen!!!

Thank you for sharing your race experiences with the cheetahs. It is amazing what a body can do!

Jes- I hope your aches and pains are not serious and that you get the recovery you need.

Karen- Ditto above!!! Don't worry about never racing agaqin. I truly enjoy running, but don't have the urge to enter a race. My friends keep asking me, and I just love to go out for a run, but the idea of a trainning plan with speed intervals does not appeal to me. (I like to do Cathe cardio to change up my routines)

HI Cheetahs-
I 've been away from the computer for most of the weekend, and I will not be on much this week. I did my 5.5 mile route today and felt much better than Friday's 8 miler.

Dh and I will be visiting our kids this week, and I'll runon a treadmill or in the neighborhoods near them. DD turns 21 this weekend and DS has parents weekend at his school.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Thanks for the encouragement, Christine!
If my friend is willing, I will definately go for it! :) It was actually a race that SHE brought to MY attention so I am pretty sure she'll be up for it!!! }(
That's so cool that your half is the same day! What time does it start?? Mine starts late, 11am est...so we just might cross paths!}( ;)

Ended up doing Tae Bo Get Ripped 1 (advanced), BootCamp Core Premix and P90X chest and back. Ya know, I really do like Tae Bo, but it's so unrehersed and chaotic that after Cathe, it's tough for me to do. I had fun, but I won't be reaching for it again soon. I had a few more exercises to do in P90X when my band snapped, and whacked me across the left hand. My middle finger is pretty swollen - but I'm pretty sure it's just bruised. We'll see. This was a heavy weight band with handles and it snapped hard! OUCH! Oh well, heel is doing much better, and at least this one won't interfer with running!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.