Calling All Cathe Beginners...

Sugarbean

Cathlete
Hello Friends,
I would like to have a fun cool daily or weekly thread for beginners. I just bought a step (the big one, so I'm committed :cool:), and have started doing the beginners rotation recommended by Cathe herself under a beginners thread. I have a family (Two kids, husband), and I work. BTW What does it mean when people use initials for family members- ie DH etc.? Anyhoo, I would like to start my "journey" in the "Cathenation" with some other peeps who are motivated yet human, so we can support each other with woes of our sore muscles and cheers when we reach our individual goals. Personally, I have a reunion of sorts to go to in November... I'll check back later today, hopefully I get some bites,
Cheers,
Lisa :D:D:D

Hey there Lisa! This was a great idea! I've been lurking on the Cathe Forums for about a month now and was waiting for just the opportunity to join a thread for beginners. I was a step fanatic about 10 years ago (I'm 33) and just a few months ago started working out with Cathe. I love her workouts! I don't have a goal exactly, just to get back to the body I had years ago. Although it may be impossible! This month I have been doing a lower body rotation. I also have a little one and am struggling to find a balance! Talk to you soon - nap time!
Natalie

Hi Natalie,
Thanks for responding! I also was a step fanatic about 10 years ago (I'm 34), and just started yesterday with her beginner program. Currently, I am studying for a board exam, so I am on the computer doing questions. It is so painful. I do ten questions, then set an egg timer for a 5 minute break, then repeat. How, you ask, is this possible with children anywhere in the vicinity? Well, my husband and kids went to visit his parents for the week, so I am alone in the eerie quiet. I am going to do the basic step program again today, this time not with running shoes. I forgot how much that makes a difference! What sort of rotation do you do right now? How old is your child? I have an 8 year old boy and a 5 year old girl...

Hello Girls,

Not a beginner started with Cathe in october of last year, but I have a suggestion for you. I would suggest when you finish the beginner rotation there is an intermediate rotation that follows it up. Good luck and have fun.

Ahhhhh - I actually got a nap in today! Isn't that great? I feel so much better!

Board exam - What do you do? I am a stay-at-home mom right now and 2-3 days a week I'm watching other children for some extra spending money. Even though I'm at home, I still struggle with fitting the workouts in and then when I'm working out hard, I struggle with having enough energy to play! My daughter is 3 and has some serious sleep issues right now so my hubby and I are both struggling! Makes for some fun times around here!

My rotation - doing August 07 Lower Body Solution. I started with Cathe videos a few months ago and then jumped right into the hard stuff this month I think. I can't help it - I'm sort of an over-achiever I guess. I'm doing okay with it though. I was kind of on-again/off-again exerciser just prior to me finding Cathe so I wasn't horribly out of shape. Anyway, my lower body is really what I wanted to target so I found this rotation on the rotation forum, tweaked it a little for the videos I have and went for it! How is the basic step video?

I would soooo love to have my hubby to take my little one for, well, anytime really. So I envy your quiet time! Too bad you have to study though.

Shoes - Yes, running shoes and step - not a good mix if I remember correctly! I actually bought some of the Ryka brand shoes after I read that Cathe wears them - weird I know but I was in the market for new workout shoes anyway and I want to be cool like her!:eek: I think mine are cross trainers. I can remember wearing almost hightop style back in my stepping days - loved them!

Hi Natalie,
Naps are lovely! I am an Endocrinology Fellow studying for my internal medicine boards on 8/28. My husband stays home with our two kids, which we think is incredibly important. After looking after multiple children on a regular basis, you are qualified to start with Cathe's intermediate section, IMO. I have been basically a slug in the exercise department for the past year, and have gained 25 lbs, putting my BMI in the "overweight" category, so I have some work to do. The silence is a little off-putting at night but I'm not going to lie, it is mostly delicious. The basic step work out (I did it again today with appropriate shoes) kicks my bahookie if I put both risers in the step. I swear it's the exact same routine I did ten years ago- I used to do step 3x/week for probably a year. It's actually a lot of fun. Imagine working out being fun... The abd part is a little lame, though. I don't have the DVD with Body Fusion on it, and since that's what Cathe said in her beginner spiel, which I am probably putting too much emphasis on, I went ahead and ordered it. It involves a resistance band, which I've never used, so that will be interesting. Are you going to have more children, do you think?

Hey Lisa!

Wow! I can't even imagine what must go into becoming a dr. let alone an endocrinologist - did I even spell that right? :p I'm way impressed. I shouldn't even complain about not having time for everything when there are people like you out there! Will you have a specialty?

My hubby and I haven't decided about another child yet. Our daughter, aside from a couple of months last summer, does not sleep through the night. Obviously, that makes us think twice about another child and, quite frankly, neither one of us could handle another one right now. If we do have another one, we will probably wait until Ava is in school. I am scheduling an appt. with an ENT on Monday - Ped thinks her enlarged tonsils may be playing a role in her sleep issues. We'll see. I have read that lack of quality sleep can lead to hyperactivity which she exhibits as well so maybe if we take out the tonsils, we'll solve two problems!

I just love stepping too! It's so weird to me when people say they don't like step on the forums - I can't get enough. I love the challenge of getting all of the moves! I will say that I can hardly stand to do a floor aerobics routine - I get so bored and I'm not really crazy about kick boxing type workouts. I did Kick, Punch and Crunch yesterday on Fit TV and just couldn't get into it - I got a good sweat out of it but didn't really like it. A lot of people on the forum love that workout!

Okay - how should we work our little group? What will your schedule allow for? I, of course, check the forums every day because I have time on my hands but you let me know what you want to do...Tomorrow I'll be doing the Pyramid Upper Body that I DVR'd from Fit TV. I like to check them out on FitTV before ordering. What are you doing?

Mind if I join you gals? I am 25, wife, mother of 3, and a grad student. My oldest is 4, middle girl is 21 months, the baby is 2 months old. I'm not a complete beginner, as I did cathe before, but I am starting over after my c-sections.

I LOVE PUB and PLB.

Jessica

Count me in

I'm a camera operator. Single as can be, no kids/no significant other and that is the way I like it. I'm 30 yo. Working on a new business. I have a new client but it looks like we won't be on deck until Sept. That gives me time to work with my gear some more, serious house cleaning, and workouts galore for at least two but maybe four weeks. That also means no money. But I have lots of videos to rotate through until I can afford what comes next. I'm using my Tivo/Netflix to good advantage. Not to mention the local library.

I'm about half way through the beginner's rotation. I'm going as far as eyeing the dvd list for the intermediate rotation lol. I love step. About ten years ago I took step in college and I loved it. Its been a long time and I'm in need of losing 62 pounds.

My plan is to eat super clean. I am using a modified beginner's rotation because I also like to walk/run two or three times a week. I usually do the step T/Th/Sa and Walk/run MWF. When I'm working I will be substituting my kick boxing dvds for the midweek run and shifting everything over. I can't run in the dark here, skunks are nocturnal. I practice yoga for my resistance training because I put on muscle really fast and I don't need it.

Good Morning

Good morning ladies! What a great idea. I am new to Cathe and would love to join your thread to support and be supported. I am 41, mother of two, age 9 1/2 and 5. Looking foward to getting into better shape using Cathe's dvds. So far they are all kicking my butt... I have started with the Gym Styles, I am really not coordinated for the step workouts. I am alternating the gym styles with cardio on my elliptical and The Biggest Loser Workout 2 dvd. Anyone know or know where to find out what all the acroymns are for example DOMS? Thanks in advance! Again great idea for this beginner thread.

Hello Friends!
I hope this message finds all of you well!

Natalie, I concur about not liking martial artsy punching and kicking type workouts, and I am uncoordinated enough to enjoy a real sense of accomplishment when I master a step routine. Good luck with the Peds ENT appt, I really hope a tonsil surgery will help your girl (and you) get more sleep, that sounds really tough. I remember when my kids were small, if they didn't sleep, paradoxically, they were even more hyperactive and would never go to sleep early or sleep late as a result...

Jessica- you are amazing to even be entertaining the idea of intensive workout 2 months postpartum with two other toddlers and in graduate school! Go girl! Thanks for joining our group, Do you have a plan for rotations?

Rapidbreath (I have no idea how to find your name because I am new to blogging format), thanks for joining us. I've heard about clean eating on this website, and it makes good sense- is there a prescribed plan for this or is it a concept?

Good morning Soon2bfit! We have children around the same age! Since you're 41, I have to reference Dara Torres, the olympic swimmer, who won a silver medal last night, and her friends had a big sign that said "Getting it done at 41". I'll have to think of a similar mantra for 34. Is Gym styles a step workout? I have no idea what all the acronyms stand for- in reference to the videos or to people, I've seen phrases like "I am going out to dinner with my DS and DH" Dear son and dear husband maybe?

Anyway, I have done basic step with one set of risers on the step for the past 2 days, and today I did total body sculpting, just a half hour lifting segment, which I liked because it is applicable to a wide range of fitness levels, and she stretches after each muscle group instead of waiting until the end. I will take a study break (another one) this afternoon and go for a walk. I should probably prophylactically take it easy on my knees. My plan is to follow the Beginner rotation for this week starting on Monday, and jog for 30 minutes 3 times/week. I have to pass a fitness test in November, because I am in the military, and unfortunately running is part of it.

Happy Sunday to everyone! It's a beautiful day here so hopefully I'll get to spend some time outside! Just finished pyramid upper body and can hardly type because my arms are still shaking. Man, that was tough!!

Soon2BFit - http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/FitnessFig/Tools_files/CompendiumMasterV1-2008.doc

That's a link to a website that has "organized" Cathe's video and gives you the actual titles for the acronyms! I found it in another section of the forums a while back. DOMS actually stands for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - just getting sore is all. Don't worry, I had to look it up on google! :p

Hey RapidBreath - Eating Clean - We'll have to swap ideas here. I'm struggle w/ that whole concept! I'm about 75% clean most of the time and then go and ruin it with, say, pancakes that I had this morning! Ugh!

Anybody order STS? I actually did a few days ago and I'm very excited! I had to get in my order before the pre-order price ended.

Hello All,
Hi Natalie, in answer to your previous message about how we're going to do this... what do you think about checking in daily if possible (I'll do it in the morning early) and sort of reporting what exercise we are going to do, and whatever? I did good with the clean eating today, and then caved and had a ding dong, and did you know that one ding dong has 360 calories? My husband bought them because he was feeling melancholy (back in the day people could remorselessly feed their kids crap). I will have to put the kabosh on that. That's probably not "clean eating". Anyway, congrats on doing pyramid today. I am going to do low impact step tomorrow morning, and then Tuesday, probably just a 45 minute walk and stretch. And not eat ding dongs. Have a great night,
Lisa

I think logging in the morning is a good idea but my mornings can be kind of crazy so the evening might work better for me, I will shoot for the am though. I also am a clean eater. What that means for mean is no white flour of any kind and no refined sugars. I eat about 5 meals a day breakfast is my biggest at about 700 calories then another 800 spread through out the day. I eat a complete protein, starch carb and fib carb at every meal. I have my simple carbs in the am with a complex starchy carb, protein and essential fats. I hope to work out 6-7 days with cardio and alternating strenthg training. I will use the Gym Styles workouts for the strenth and my elipse for cardio. This thread was a great idea and I think it will be just the support I need!!!!

Anyone doing WW?

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I'm starting WW again. I lost 80lbs about 4 years and unfortunately have gained about 55 back. UGH! It's super frustrating but I know I can do it again. I work out 4-5x a week but need to step up my game again. I had my tonsils out in May and that derailed me pretty bad but now I'm back and ready to go.

I would love to check in with you all here if that's ok. Not a Cathe beginner but I do feel that I'm starting over again in a way. I have lots of her workouts. But today I did Turbo Jam Kickin' Core because I wasn't up for the beat down of Cathe. I also do FIRM and Hip Hop Abs workouts but not nearly as much as Cathe. I've got to work my way back up to her. I've got FIRM scheduled for tomorrow and Rhythmic Step for Wednesday.

Thanks for starting this check-in!

Sue

Hi, Everyone!

Hope it's ok if I join in!

I am new to Cathe's workouts, but did The Firm for years before moving on to working out at the gym--mostly group fitness classes. My gym membership expires in October, so I'm getting set to workout at home again. I've got a few Cathe DVDs and I'm waiting for my full-sized step to arrive.

I'm 26. Not married and no kids, but I have a BF of over three years and a three year old mutt. I am looking to slim down and get better definition. I build muscle pretty easily, so I can't just aim to lose weight. My goal is to get my body fat below 20% and go from there.

Glad to "meet" all of you!

Its Sept!

Woo hoo! Be prepared to get sweaty!

So, the question for all of you is: so you try a workout (Not Cathe lol.) and its too easy (even though it is step.) and you have some time later in the day. Do you do another cardio session selecting a workout that you know will work? Or just say its an off day?

Btw my name is Alisha :)

Hi Alisha,
In a perfect world, I would do another workout, but really I would check the workout box and move on. We have started a new thread under "Cathletic Supporters" where we check in with each other every day, and I noticed a new post on our old thread- come join us and be a Cathletic Supporter, too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.