Anyone out there with chronic illness??

jbonnell

Cathlete
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there is using Cathe workouts while dealing with a chronic illness? I'd kind of like to start a check-in/challenge thread for any of us that sometimes can't manage regular rotations or challenges. Somewhere we can perhaps share our challenges and gain support to keep on going and keep our motivation up, even when we aren't feeling well enough to workout all the time.

Let me know what you think!
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
Welcome to the forums!
I have fibromyalgia - does that count as a chronic illness? I actually feel better when I'm able to work out, but due to injuries, & just plain getting older (I'll be 57 in December), I'm unable to do rotations as such. I'm more of a "whatever I can handle tonight" kind of exerciser. :eek: I know it can be tough - I don't know what you're dealing with, but hugs to you!
Jane

Thanks Jane! I would certainly say fibromyalgia counts as chronic...thanks for the supportive words. The reason I posted was that there are lots of check ins and challenges, but I know I can't necessarily commit to them, and figured there must be others out there on the forums that might be looking for a group to commiserate with over bad health days!

I think a check in is a great way to stay accountable to your workouts. If there are any others out there that need a something a bit less ambitious than some of the long standing groups, and would like somewhere to get feedback from others who are in similar situations (pain, illness, mobility issues that they workout with every day) then I'm all for it.

I think I'll try starting one for next Monday...maybe I'll call it "One Day at a Time" :)

Hi Jennifer,
I recently posted for a workout friend but this might suit me better as I have a neck injury & there are times when I miss a whole week due to the neck acting up.:( I would love to participate!:D I think your name for the check in is great!
All the best,
Cathy

Last edited:
Hi Cathy -great! Even it is just the two of us it'll be enough :)

I'll post it this weekend as an official start for Monday. In the mean time, feel free to message me, or continue to post in this thread.

For example, I had a really crappy day yesterday and my planned 5km walk turned into a 15 minute hobble around the block - which is frustrating because I've been doing well, so to have another bad day was a bit of a surprise. So today I'm going to take it easy and try another walk in the afternoon, since it's a beautiful day. Then my plan is to try a short DVD workout tomorrow....fingers crossed! Hopefully I'll get my LIS DVDs delivered this week so next week I can try a couple of them.

Take care,
Jennifer

I'm sorry to hear that, Jennifer. It is SO frustrating on bad days, when you have your heart set on kicking it into high gear... I was "off" for a week because I fell in the parking lot at work. My hip is still pretty sore, but I started back with an easy step workout on Monday. I think I did too much last night - I'm back to limping today. Hugs to you!

Thanks Jane :)

I'm getting much better at dealing with set backs, and I know I'll get through it!

The great things about Cathe's workouts is that I WANT to do them, and she's so encouraging that I know even as I do them with any modifications I'm still getting an excellent workout. And of course, she gives us all something to aspire to. I know that when I can workout with her DVDs, I'm doing something really great for my health and fitness, and that's only going to help with my condition in the long run, even with bad days cropping up now and then.

I have a few other workouts DVDs and it isn't that there is anything wrong with the instructors as such...they just aren't Cathe :)

I'm getting much better at dealing with set backs, and I know I'll get through it!

The great things about Cathe's workouts is that I WANT to do them, and she's so encouraging that I know even as I do them with any modifications I'm still getting an excellent workout. And of course, she gives us all something to aspire to. I know that when I can workout with her DVDs, I'm doing something really great for my health and fitness, and that's only going to help with my condition in the long run, even with bad days cropping up now and then.

I have a few other workouts DVDs and it isn't that there is anything wrong with the instructors as such...they just aren't Cathe :)

Exactly! Keep up the great attitude!
BTW, is that your horse? I had a horse when I was growing up in the country. One of the things I miss since moving to a big city.

Hi again! My avatar picture is Simon, a gorgeous Canadian-cross gelding who wasn't technically my horse (a friend owned him), although I rode and helped care for him for 10 years. We had to put him down this summer, which was very sad, but needed to be done. I love having pictures of him around, as I think of him pretty much every day, and I love to horseback ride, and part of my exercise goals is to be healthy enough to ride regularly, so I thought he'd make the perfect avatar. He was the best horse I've known. Neither of us was up to riding this past summer, so we mostly just hung out together :)

I'm now going to bite the bullet and learn to ride western so I can ride my friend's other horse, Abbi. She's not nearly as lovable as Simon was, and she was always super jealous of me spending time with her best friend, but we're warming up to each other now :)

Hi Jennifer,
Simon looks great! I grew up with horses & haven't ridden for about 25 years now & I really do miss it:(
Your right about Cathe's workouts!:D
I' m sorry to hear your run didn't go well.
Monday I did STS Chest & Back Disc 25 along with STS Extended Stretch. Today the head-splitting migraines are back!!:(
Tomorrow I was planning Turbo Barre with a Yoga Relax Premix or STS Triceps Biceps & Shoulders Disc 27 along with STS Extended Stretch!! That's the plan:D I hope your dvd's arrive soon. Take care, Cathy

Last edited:
Hi jennifer!

Let me introduct myself, my name is Nora and yes, I have a chronic illness. I have multiple Sclerosis, the relapsing & remitting form of it and was diagnosed six years ago. My MS has effect me in various ways. I'm right handed and very right side dominant MS has made my entire right side of my body weaker significantly. MS has also effect my vision in my right eye, I had optic neuritis and that lasted 6 to 8 months during that time my vision in that eye was extremely blurred so much so I couldn't see shapes or anything and was legally blind in that eye at least according to my optometrist at that time and was unable to be fitted for glasses to improve my vision then. Now I can see out of my right eye but am now farsighted and can't see things up close, the optic neuritis made my left eye weaker trying to compensate for the right eye, so ugh! My balance on my right side was extremely impaired so much so I couldn't walk initially without appearing as if I was a staggering drunk. Now, on bad days when the MS fatigue is rearing its ugly head I need to walk with a cane because my balance is so iffy, but otherwise I don't. MS has effected ever facet of my life and my physicallity but I figure I have no choice but to deal with it and work around it and not be defeated by MS. Its hard somedays it does get to me but being able to laugh and workingout has helped me to keep a positive attitude and gain strength. I do already check in on the Crazy, Strong & Loving it thread and have done so for about 5 years I think. I can also can start checking in on your thread too. Maybe we can spur each other on to be our best.

Here's today's workout:

LIS Total Body Trisets Upper Body Split= 56 Min
Met Value= 6.50
Calories burned= 497

LIS Slide & Glide- Express- Cardio+ Abs+ Stretch= 39 Min
Met Value= 7.0
Calories burned= 373

Total calories burned= 870:cool:

Great idea for a check in thread. I hope to see you all checking in when you can.

Hugs!;):)

Nora

Hi Nora!

Glad to have you join the thread. I am currently in the process of being diagnosed, and the most likely candidate is MS, actually. My neurologist wants another MRI in early January, before giving me a definite diagnosis. That, or if I get another really bad episode like I had before - I'd rather wait for the MRI!

I also have balance trouble, mostly when I get warm or while working out. My main issues are pain and numbness/tingling/burning in my legs and in my arms when it gets particularly bad. I've been walking with a cane for about 8 months now. I don't need it all the time, only when my legs are really acting up. It's great to meet someone with MS who is able to workout with Cathe's videos!

I seem to be in a 'remission' right now, although I still have bad days and deal with a lot of fatigue issues regularly. Since I'm actually able to do some exercise now, I figured the thread would be a good idea :)

I managed to double the length of my walk yesterday, so today's workout will be Push Pull and another little walk. Here's hoping I can manage it and I'll check in later!

Jennifer

Hi Cathy - sorry to hear your aren't having a good week. I'm right there with you! Gah...so frustrating when we have the best intentions to workout and get sidetracked. :mad:

Still, as you said, we need to take care of ourselves, so do that, please! Like I just said to Nora, I'm feeling a bit better so the aim is Push Pull for today. It's shorter and not quite as intense as some of the other videos, so I figure it's a good goal. Also, when I am having a flare up of symptoms, I can't trust my balance and coordination to do any of the quicker circuit style or cardio workouts, and I need to avoid getting too warm, so weights it is (they're my fave anyway!). Sometimes I just sit out an exercise/set if I need to, and join back in once I've rested. I feel a bit like a wuss, but it's better than nothing :)

Good luck with your workout today and listen to your body's signals - better to be smart than worry about being tough :p

Just wanted to say good morning, ladies, & send some virtual hugs! I admire the unflappable courage & tenacity you all show.

Many thanks, Jane :)

I just finished Push Pull, and managed a walk this morning as well! I didn't go super heavy on the weights as I'm still easing back into working out, and I was right that it isn't a super challenging workout by Cathe standards, but I really enjoyed it - well rounded and quick.

I'll take it easy for the rest of the day, as I have a few warning signals while doing the DVD, but I feel much better overall than I have in the last few days. Maybe a stroll later today to soak up some more glorious fall sun :)

Good Morning Jennifer,
I'm sorry to hear it might be MS.:( I've found these forums to be uplifting & friendly & usually someone who knows something of what you are dealing with.
I'm happy your workout went well & your feeling better:) Oh & you are not a wuss!:D
Take care & all the best,
Cathy

Last edited:
Good Morning Jane,
How is your hip & are you able to walk any better?
You'll have to educate me on Fibromyalgia!:) I know just a little bit about it from what I read & I'm sure it's slightly different for each individual!:)
Are you planning any activity today?
Virtual hugs right back at you & take care,
Cathy

Hi Cathy, What kind of dogs are those in your avatar? I have 3 dogs - quite a hodge podge of breeds, and they give so much love. You may have posted what they are under the one thread about dogs not too long ago, but I've forgotten. Is it the pain that wakes you up? Are you able to take anything at all like Excederin PM, that might be able to help?
Fibro, for me, is like having the flu all the time in that I ache all over. It's a soft tissue "thing" - the muscles are extremely tight & tense & they don't get enough oxygen. It also plays havoc with your thinking & concentration - what we call fibro fog. It's also accompanied by chronic fatigue and depression. Working out does help, because it helps get oxygen to the muscles, & I always stretch for about 15 to 20 minutes after a work out. I use a foam roller on the knots, & that helps some. Some days are better than others, like with anything... today is a not so good day...:( Maybe I'll try Yoga Relax for tonight.
I hope you are able to get some relief soon. Does the chiropractor help? Hang in there!

Hi girls!;)

I finished my workout around 1pm today, so that was nice. I did Yoga Max today and it was awesome, it really helped loosen up some tight muscles in my hamstrings and calves. I did have problems with the balance section and tried my best but I have MS balance issues so I did what I could.

Here's today's workout:

LIS Yoga Max= 48 Min
Met Value= 3.0
Calories burned= 197

Ab Hits- Abs Workout #3 CTX KB= 12 Min
Met Value= 5.0
Calories burned= 82

Wow this was a killer ab workout with those planks, man they got me got good, Loved it!

Total calories burned= 279

Jennifer, I know what you mean about having bad days and needing to use a cane. I can say the same for me. Hang in there it does take a while before a doctor is able to give an official MS diagnosis. Mine went fairly quickly about six or eight months. After having a couple of brain & thoracic spine MRI's along with numerous attacks cinched the diagnosis. I then begain a MS therapy drug course which I am still on to date with Avonex, which is a intramuscular injection done once a week. Its been a big change but its helping my doctor says I'm in remission, so that's good. I started taking Avonex right away before the official timeline diagnosis because that was most likely like 98% chance at that time and beginning a MS drug therapy sooner can help to minimize the nerve damage and frequency and length of attacks which is great. I hope you are able to get the official diagnosis and go from there as soon as your able. If it is MS the important thing is to focus on what you can still do and that an MS therapy treatment will help you to hopefully not get any worse and even improve. MS has made me realize that I need to see the glass as half full not half empty. Hang in there and good luck!

Hugs!;)

Nora

Hi girls!;)

It was one of those bad days for me. I am in excruciating pain and could barely walk. It feels like someone hit me across my low back with a baseball bat. MS is like a box of chocolates every day is not predictable and always an adventure. On the brightside I did workout today so that's always a plus:)

Here's today's workout:

LIS Cycle Max= 56 Min
Met Value= 10.0
Calories burned= 765

Distance= 10.15 Miles

Core Cuts - Cut #1 Standing Med Ball Abs = 12 Min
Met Value= 5.0
Calories burned= 82

Total calories burned= 847

I can't get the distance to be recorded in cathe's workout manager unless I put it in so the picture of the disc is not in workout calendar, very frustrating.
Ok, that's it for me today. I could barely walk whatsoever today and in so much pain and still am. Ugh, this sucks but hey I got my workouts in for today. Not sure how I'll feel tomorrow we'll see about that when it gets here.

Hugs to everyone!;)

Nora

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.