50 and over week of Nov 13 check in

JoanC

Cathlete
Good morning Jann, Magnolia, Beth and Cathy,

Sorry for not posting. Lot's of bad eye days. Yesterday was better but I did 30 hours of continuing education (40 hours required per year). Fortunately it only took about half that time on line. Tomorrow and Tuesday I drive an hour to a seminar in Ill. It's a really good tax seminar but I dread the drive over there.

Wed I did 4 miles, Thur 3.2 miles and pyramid upper body, Friday 5.2 miles
and Saturday 3.5 miles. I need to do a lower body today.

Jann, Brother is thrilled to hear from daughter. I don't know what I am. He had another daughter with a high school girlfriend. They married and divorced and we never got to see her much. She was always moving and never let my brother know where she was. Now that daughter is grown and we seldom see her. Next would be the adopted daughter. About a year after that he married and had a boy and a girl.

Beth the soap opera continues- Older brother (above is younger brother) broke up with high school girlfriend just before senior prom but took her anyway. They already had tickets, dress etc. She got pregnant that night. She was Catholic, he's not. Priest said not to get married unless they were sure to stay married, so they didn't. That summer after graduation at age 17 he enlisted in marines and got sent to Vietnam. He thought he was going to die so he married her in Hawaii during a leave. Six months later she gave birth to 8lb boy while he was still in Vietnam.:confused:
As an aside it's not surprising he thought he would die. During his tour he was in 3 or 4 of the major battles of that war. He has told me that many of them had 50 % casualty rate. After he came back he was interviewed by some one from the Smithsonian for an exhibit. He was one of only 3 people who had survived being in all the battles. Of course there were a lot of people who had survived 1 or 2 but weren't in all of them.

They didn't stay married long after he came home. He was injured and lost sight in one eye. He married 2nd wife but she divorced him when she couldn't get pregnant. He thought with agent orange it was probably him with the problem. He married wife #3 and they had a boy and a girl. So he has oldest son who is in his mid 40's and youngest in 20's.

Then there is boring me. Married for forty years and waited 5 years to get pregnant.

Eyes are better today. I hate to put drops in them. I never know if that will make them better or worse.

Joan

Joan- WOW! What a story!! Interesting! So glad your brother survived all that. Vietnam seems like so long ago now, but it was hard on alot of relationships and disrupted alot of lives. Glad your back, are you walking the mileage? I haven't just walked in so long I'm not sure I remember how.

Jann- I dropped off the rotation again. I'm going to play catch up today.

Magnolia- How that diet going?

Cathy- I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I lost my brother to Lupus about 4 years ago. No one had expected it. I had a hard time sleeping after that. My prayers are with you and your family.

I am just walking (I don't count running around with kids). I am getting faster but I won't win any races. I usually have to do it in a couple of times during the day. I think I was on treadmill 3-5 times to get the 5.2 miles. I really don't overeat all that much so just adding the walking is making the scale drop. Weigh in tomorrow- I was down a pound earlier in the week.

I am a believer in Tom Venuto. You are supposed to not eat less than your BMR which for me is about 1300 calories a day. With light activity that works out to 1771 which is a busy day but no wo. Moderate activity is 1997 and that is a wo every day. This agrees with my armband. It makes sense that I am lucky to lose a pound a week looking at the numbers. I hope everyone can find a diet they can live with. For me it is pretty simple, eat more fruits and veg. Don't have anything good more than once a week and only for one meal. Eat protein with every meal.

Joan

Hi, Y'All!

I just did Total Body Tri Sets, Lower Body Split. I had to modify a little of it, but not very much.

Well, I lost 3 lbs. last week. When I weighed this morning, I was down another pound. Hope I can keep up the weight loss and keep the weight off.

Joan, that is an interesting story! I pray for all the Vietnam Vets. They are an extraordinary group of people.

Have a great day, everyone!

Magnolia

Good morning, y'all!

I am sorer today than I have been in a long time! I might just opt for a stretching workout today, or at least one that is mostly stretching!

TTYL.

Magnolia

Joan -- Omgosh.

Magnolia -- High fives on the weight loss!! :D

Beth -- Are you catching up? ;)

Yesterday was Athletic training skipped the step part. Today is Turbo barre. I've done this one before. Looking forward to it.
I am not sure I am going to stay with just the LIS rotation. I am getting tired of Lunges, burpees, mountain climbers, oh my!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I may mix it up a little.

Hi, Y'All!

Jann, I really love that Turbo Barre workout.

I just did Upper Body Express from Total Body Tri-Sets, and followed it with the no-equipment segment of Stretch Max. I was still very sore this morning, so I decided it was important to get in a decent stretch. I guess extra stretching is going to be a part of my every day routine.

Well, lots of House Max to round out my day here. Have a great day, everyone!

Magnolia

Still waiting for a w/o. The carpet cleaners are here (puppy) and I don't want to scare them by putting on my tights and doing some squats--- IF you know what I mean..

Jann- I'm way behind in the rotation but I have been exercising most days. Yesterday I went to spin in the am and TRX in the evening with DH
Today- when they leave- Ill do Turbo Barre

Joan- I know you were good at figuring that Burn the Fat out- but thats becasue you're an accountant... Maybe you could rewrite the Burn the Fat for Dummies for the rest of us

Magnolia- Stretching is something I don't do enough, but boy does it make a difference. How do you like the series? Is Turbo your favorite?

Hi, Y'All!

Beth, I really like the series, but some of the full workouts are a little more than my endurance level will tolerate at the moment. I actually did manage all of Turbo Barre and was fine afterward, but AfterBurn was another matter! :eek: I decided that the shorter premixes with added stretching are best for me until I build up endurance.

I am taking a rest day today. Just tired and not feeling too swell.

Have a great evening, everyone!

Magnolia

Good evening,

Where did the week go?

I know Monday and Tuesday was my seminar and I was gone all day but can't figure out where Wednesday and today went.

No dvd's but I have walked everyday. I need to clean house so every time I couldn't figure out what to do next(procrastinating) I walked.

Beth I would be happy to run the numbers for you. I need age, height and weight.

Joan

HI all! Yesterday was slide and glide cadio only and I was suppose to do trisets upper and didn't. :) I was just too tired. So I did a bunch of stretching and called it a workout. :) Today is Yoga max, I may add some treadmill in to get in my steps.

Joan I need to start cleaning also. I always empty out my china hutch clean everything and put it back in for Thanksgiving. I looked it this morning and thought, it isn't that dirty.... :rolleyes: I am sure I'll get to it before next thursday.

Magnolia I have been doing mostly premixes so far with this rotation. Taking most of the summer off from doing DVD's I am so surprised how much strength I've loss.

Still waiting for a w/o. The carpet cleaners are here (puppy) and I don't want to scare them by putting on my tights and doing some squats--- IF you know what I mean..
:D:D Yes, I do. How is that little puppy? You started classes yet?

Good morning, Y'All!

I did AfterBurn Express premix (intervals 1 - 10 one time each). I simply cannot do burpees, etc., anymore. I have severe OA in my left shoulder, and just the other day my right shoulder decided to join it. That position really aggravates them. I have to do an extreme modification or just skip them from now on, I guess. I am certainly not giving up on the workouts, I just think I need to find modifications or replacements for those moves.

Have a wonderful day, everyone.

Magnolia

Magnolia I have never been one that has to do workouts exactly like Cathe. I modify and have fun and I usually have a great workout. Just keep moving. :D

Well, ladies I just raked up the last of the leaves, bagged them, pulled a couple of weeds that have been bothering me, and cut the limbs off the front tree. I have everything ready for the final yard waste pick up until spring. I put everything away and/or stored in my garden shed and locked the door. :(:(:( Time for winter.

Last night was date night for me and DH. This consisted of a 30 min spin class (where we both have the shoes now) followed by TRX followed by massages and dinner out. Are we getting old or what? Luckily, my DH "gets " this!!
This morning I went to another spin class and he went to tennis. So, why do I still need to loose weight? I need to get his diet thing right.

Joan, I am going to pm those statistics to you on fb. I don't want to post them. But that would. E great if you could figure it out for me.. am I supposed to tell you what I want to weigh?

magnolia, I have a similar problem with my shoulder and my wrists. I used to get mad when anyone would suggest those moves. I simply could not do them.. But as of late, I have started approximating the moves very slowly even if I only do one to her ten. I figure if I put my body through the motion it will relearn it.

Jann, we don't ever have a winter here. Right now the acorns are falling and the puppy is eating them. W learned look at me and sit last week. I need to teach him not to jump up on people. He loves the little girl next door but he jumps on her.

Beth your BMR is 1370 calories and you should never eat less than that. That is what your body needs to function if all you are doing is sleeping.
At moderately active you should be using 2124 calories per day.

15% deficit is 1805 calories and expect to lose 1/2lb per week
20% deficit is 1699 calories and expect to lose 3/4lb per week
25% deficit is 1593 calories and expect to lose 1lb per week
30% deficit is 1487 calories and expect to lose 1 1/4 lb per week. 30% deficit is not recommended unless you are very overweight.

If you eat the 1593 calories per day and don't lose the pound then you are not really using 2124 calories a day. You adjust your activity to the amount of weight you lose. If you lose a pound and you are ok with that, keep doing what you are doing. If you want to lose faster you will need to exercise more. Be careful though, many people do an extreme wo and are so tired they do less the rest of the day. I actually burn more calories doing NEAT (non exercise activity) than during any Cathe wo.

You should eat your carbs and biggest meals before and after your lifting. That way calories are used to build muscle and not stored as fat. You need to eat 1 gram of protein for every 1lb of lean body mass. Carbs are not all bad in form of fruits and veg. You brain needs 100-120g of carbs a day to function.

Jann I'm really not looking forward to winter either. We keep getting 60 degree days and 20-30 degree nights. I'm sure plants are confused. I still have a lot of flowers blooming and hate to clean up garden yet.

Magnolia I agree the best advice is to modify or avoid anything that hurts you.

Have a good day. I'm off to shampoo carpets.

Joan

Joan Thank you so much!!! Wow though! It seems like so many more calories than I normally consume. Does this work for you? I.d be happy with a pound a week!:p

Beth My numbers are less than yours. I use less and therefore can eat less. It does work for me. BUT you need to test it each week. These are estimates. If you aren't as active you can't eat as much. When I was wearing the GoWearFit armband I could guarantee the amount of the pounds lost if I also matched it with calories eaten. I just made sure I did more if I ate more.

If you have been dieting forever, and eating 1200 calories or less you might have to get your metabolism used to eating the right amount. If you know how many calories you are eating add 100 calories a day for the week. Keep adding 100 calories until you are up to the 1593.

I can lose the pound a week eating 1400 calories but unfortunately I can ruin the week with two days of eating out. Our deficits are so minimal that a change in activity or eating something that doesn't get recorded can mess up the week.

My problem is like yesterday when I was attacked by white food-white bread, white rice and tapioca pudding. I think I ate 2800 calories.
In one day I ate 3 days worth of deficits. And that is if I counted enough calories. I'm not sure I added the raisins I ate.

Like they say on the Burn the Fat website, It's simple it's just not easy.

One of the other things they suggest is to weigh all your food. One half cup of uncooked oatmeal is more than the serving size by weight for example.

They also want you to lift heavy. We all need to build muscle. If you lose 20 lbs without lifting you will lose 10lb muscle and 10lb fat. If you gain it back 20lb will be fat. Even though you weigh the same as before your body fat % will be more. Because of that your body will need less calories to sustain your current body. You can see if we lose the same 10 or 20 lbs over and over without lifting we are just getting fatter and fatter.

Joan

Like they say- simple but not easy! Those are some great hints but I'm like you- my best intentions can get wrecked by impulsive eating. Cooking is hard because I also snack. I'm trying to precook most of Thanksgiving dinner so I don't eat as I go. Well, Ill get out the scale and my notebook and just get started again. At least there is comfort in knowing that a certain calorie limit works for you. Maybe I will go ahead and invest in the go FIT.. I have the polar but I only wear it when training- not all day.

I did Afterburn today but stopped early by about 10 minutes for puppy class.:p

Good morning, Y'All!

Well, I have come down with a chest cold. Yuk! I am drinking lots of water and herbal tea. The only good thing about it is that I have decreased appetite. I did not work out yesterday, I was really tired.

I had blood work done about a month ago and had an appointment with my doctor last week to discuss it. I plateaued last summer, and the scale wouldn't budge no matter what I tried. My doctor says she thinks it's just my metabolism and prescribed some green and white tea supplements which aren't expensive. I think I will give them a try.

Have a great day, everyone!

Magnolia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.