40 & over checkin - week of 8/17

I just completed some of my 1RMs. Whew. Rhondalyn was right about it being a workout in and of itself. I'll have to make sure not to work chest/shoulders/biceps tomorrow. I found myself cheating a little in the sense that barbell curl, wide barbell curl, and narrow barbell curl will more than likely be the same # so I only tested for one. Maybe that's good enough. I am not enjoying this as I need a dvd to motivate me. I think for this week I'll do the 4DS series and do a couple 1RMs prior to the dvd since I never feel I get enough lifting in on those.

Rhondalyn, WTG on the pound weight loss!!!! My weight is not coming off as fast and honestly I think it was just a fluke that I lost 3 lbs when I started the nutrition planner. I only have about 4 lbs to go to my ultimate goal, so slow is fine.

Oh, and now that I'm close to my ultimate goal, my BFF(who is stick thin) wants to go out to eat to celebrate my BD last week which is great, but she wants to have margaritas too. :eek: I told her that I couldn't have a margarita and it wasn't because of the calories, it's more because of the sugary rush from it and I know I'll feel awful afterward and it isn't worth it to me. I got to say that eating better sure has me feeling a lot better! Not sure she really understood, I'm sure you all do though.

That's it from here, the sun is finally shining and it's back to summer time weather tomorrow. Gotta love these temp shifts.....55 one day, 85 the next.....later!

Hi Lisa and all who follow,

Today's my rest day. I really wanted to do my PU exhaustion test but my triceps are still very sore so I think I'll wait until tomorrow.

I don't do well exercising without a video either. I've tried some TT and some of Cosgrove's programs but never end up finishing.
b1f15b437f5b1e639c864028396fd7e69e9018b.gif

I have about 10 lbs that I want to lose. I'm at 129.6 today and want to get to 120. I feel comfortable here but would dearly love to see 115. But first, I've going to get to 120.
fce25a44cc70d5b210f6538d08ccc87fc9a931b.gif

Let's have a good week girls!
106253d4ce77e5c71c56f579597387dd80c1400.gif

Hi Lisa, Rhondalyn and all who follow.

I've been unwell all last week, my hubby and I picked up some disgusting "little" bug that gave us headaches and upset stomachs and totally knocked me about and I spent the week trying to get over it.

So, I've not done a workout or a post here for the week. So Hi!

Hopefully this week will be better for me!

Isn't Darra TORRES fantastic! Shes our age (ish) and competing in the Olympics in SWIMMING!! She looks great!

AND Michael PHELPS!! What an accomplishment! Pity he's American;) I'm just kidding! The Austalians are doing O.k ish too, but I'm really just enjoying the Olympics.

Hopefully I'll be around more this week, see ya.

Hello all!

Lisa I've decided to start testing for my 1RM also but the weights its giving me as my 1RM sounds so heavy. I posted over in the STS board last night hoping for a clear answer to my question before I continue testing

This is an edited posted question perhaps someone here may have the answer?

Just started testing my 1RM and for the alternating seated overhead shoulder press I was able to do 14 reps using 15# dumbbells so I waited for 30 minutes and tried the same exercise but with 20# dumbbells and I could only do 4 reps before failure.

My question:
So should I use the 15 # dumbells and put in the 14 reps in the calculator or the 20 # dumbells?

I was surprised when I logged in the 15 # at 14 reps it gave me 23# as my 1RM - I'm thinking thats wrong as it looks too heavy for that exercise.

I also got a too heavy 1RM for barbell curls.
I lifted 25 # barbell for 21 reps and it gave me a 1RM of 56# . I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong.

Anyways at this point I'm at a loss.

How are you doing your testing?

I'm thinking since its a cardio day I may just continue on- right now my head can't wrap around it all :(

Rhonda your enthusiasm is so nice to see and makes me smile - thanks

Andrea sorry to hear you and your dh caught a nasty bug and good that your on the mend.

I've been catching a glimpse of the Olympics and I saw Dara Torres win her silver medal she was sooo close to that gold and what about that Romanian 38 yr old mother who ran and won gold in the marathon event - that was a great race.

As for me......
I was under a deep cloud last week and slowly coming out of it
017.gif

I'm still not out of it and this sort of thing takes time to fully come out of but I'm taking it a little at a time.

I couldn't really sleep last night and finally got out of bed at 520am. Which is a bit late for some :)

Oldest DD starts her 1st day as a college student today.

Since due to multiple factors last week she didn't get to do her road test namely one of my rear lights needed to get changed out so I'm still taxing her around. Hopefully tomorrow before her first class we can go so she can get her license to drive, actually I'm not in such a big rush to have her drive by herself yet.
th_blush2.gif

I have Imax2 scheduled for today but I'm really feeling iTread 9 60min more so than Imax2.

Surprisingly Imax2 is my all time favorite Cathe cardio but this morning I awoke wanting to do a fast run instead.
shrugnblush.gif

I hope you all have a great day!

picture.php

Hello everyone,

I was away last week and did not get a chance to post. I got in some cardio work but no weights. My eating was okay but not great. I did not get a chance to get my workout in this morning so I may do a power walk at lunch or take the kids for a power walk in the stroller when we get home. I have re-committed myself to my food diary so I hope I can get my workout in and feel like I am on track in all areas.

Lisa - I too have been working on my 1RM and "cheating" a little. There is so much to test for and I have limited time. Plus, I have been trying to keep a record as I go along in my regurlar workouts. I figure that if I come acrosss something that needs to be updated I retest and update. But don't tell Cathe!

Andrea - Sorry to hear you and DH were sick. I hope you two are feeling better.

Murph

Hi ladies! I got a late start today and I'm still trying to catch up with all I have to do, so I'll make this brief. I did 4DS KBX/Legs....still have yet to do some 1RM leg testing (not looking forward to that). I did plug in my weight I used for the low plane lunges (I hate those). I know my weight will be less than the cathenation average on that one! Seems my shoulder 1RM are a bit less too. I went back and retested some that I was amazed was so much lower than cathenation avg, but I still only MAYBE eeked out 1 lb more (not worth the retest in my opinion).

Vilma, I think you got your answer on the thread in the STS section, right? Yes, you need pace weights. I love mine and it is one of the best purchases I've made. As far as your DD starting college, I swear I cried that whole first month last year when my DS went away (only 30 mins from home). I couldn't believe my reaction to his moving to the dorms. Maybe that is contributing to your mood....I don't think your DD is "away", but just the feeling they are starting and responsible for their life.

Andrea, sorry to hear you've been sick.

Welcome back Murphy. Glad to hear you a "cheating" like me with the 1RMs. We won't tell Cathe and everyone on this checkin is sworn to secretcy, right?

Rhondalyn, there is no way I could do a PU challenge if my triceps still had DOMS.

Gotta run.....

Hi all! Yesterday we went to the lake for the day. It was beautiful perfect day. They had a triatholon, pretty amazing to watch. I wished that I liked to run, for about a minute. Running isn't my thing, I have tried it, it just doesn't work for me. I need Cathe to scream work, work at me. All my brain tells me is to stop stop! Today we went to the fair, great fun seeing all the animals. I did LIS this am before we left, so I didn't feel too bad about the fries with vinegar! You all are impressive starting with your 1 RM"S. Vilma, I'm glad to see that you are feeling better. I understand about that cloud sometimes, like if it could just lift or get blown away. Hi Alison , Lisa, Murph, Rhondalyn!! Hope you all have a great night! Mary HI to you to Andrea!!

Hi everyone,

I woke up feeling fine until I started my PU exhaustion test. My head started throbbing while I was doing the push ups.
ce61584c7c5f166d91887c1bd31c804b9fb072a.gif
I had to stop and rest for a bit after I finished because it hurt so bad. Not sure what was going on there. I went ahead and finished my testing for Disc 4 but that's all. I don't feel bad now but I still have just a small HA. Anyway, I did 26 PUs so I'll move on to week 3 tomorrow.

Mary, I've always wanted to be a runner, too. I did the C25K rotation and fulling planned on incorporating running at least 5K once a week but that didn't last long.
51d350494fe271e152c71a0d6d5de209eba7fc7.gif
It sounds like you had a great weekend.

Lisa, I think we're going to be all over the place with the 1RM test. It's been pretty easy for me to judge what weight to use for the most part. We just have to do what's right for us and not worry about the averages.

Vilma, you're so welcome. I'm glad you're feeling better and things are looking up some.
d5825694b57375d019063a1e2b7842a4e14c991.gif

It's good to see you back, Murph.

Andrea, I hope you're nasty little bug hasn't found me. ;) I'm glad you're feeling better. I think Darra Torres rocks too.

Hello ladies,

Well today's ailment is a sore BACK!! I can't believe my luck with headaches, bugs, and now back trouble!! I must be getting OLD???

Vilma - Hang in there, those cloudy times are tough, I know. Great big huge support vibes coming cyber space to you.:D

Murph, Lisa - i cannot get my head around the 1 RM thing. I'm not patient enough to even try at this stage. I think I am one of the very very few not getting STS. I wasn't even tempted after seeing the You Tube Videos. Don't know why.:confused::confused:

Rhondalyn -Hows your head? Where do you get your cute thingys from?

Scubagirl -Would you mind if you told us your first name? Or do you prefer to be known as "Scubagirl" you are supposed to read that last "scuba girl" as radio announcer, Heres "Scubagirl" voice! Hope this is coming across right.

I watched that marathon too that lady was fantastic and she wasn't totally skin and bone like some of the other runners.

Good morning all. I woke up early with a headache! arg! Who sent their headache to me?!?! I'm hoping it gets outta here soon as I have IMAX 2 on the schedule.

Mary, I'm not a runner either but I'm now actually enjoying running whereas I'd never ran a day in my life before and if I had to I bemoaned it the whole time I was doing it. My brothers track coaches used to say I had the legs for it, needless to say I didn't join track like my bro!

Andrea, Our bodies sure to like to talk back to us don't they. Maybe after 40+ years they say what they think just like we do? LOL

Rhondalyn, I think it was you who gave me their headache. I wanna know who wants it next I'll gladly send it to you! :D

Ah, off to get some coffee, maybe that will help. I'll check in later.....

Hi everyone,

I was able to get up this morning and work out. I tried to do Amy Bento's All Pump Extreme, the upper body portion but it kept freezing on me. I ended up switching to her Slo-Mo Challenge. Anyone else have trouble with the APX dvd? It is the second one I bought and I have the exact same problem. I contacted the vendor for a new one so hopefully third times a charm. Anyway, I got a good workout in and upped the weights a little so hopefully I can raise my arms to the keyboard tomorrow! :)

Lisa - I hope you feel better. BTW, what are pace weights?

Hi Girls, how is everyone's Tues.? I just finished the BC premix with legs, very fun, also very sweaty! Not much new here, just have to go to tutoring for my youngest, then the Walmart/Target run. They are right across the street from one another, makes it easy for me! Murphy, I was contemplating both those Amy DVD's, The legs on Slo-Mo are killer! I love that section, not to keen on the upper body ones. APX I have only done a few times, so much equipment, I am sometimes a lazy girl! Lisa, Rhondalyn hope that your heads feel better. Idream, first name is Mary, simple and boring! Hope that you and your family are feeling better. Vilma, Hi to you too! Have a good day all! Mary

Hi Girls,

I've been away for 10 days on a vacation to NC/SC where I lived most of my life. We live in Indianapolis now due to a job transfer about five years ago, but it's always great to get back to the South where my relatives are and they have Bojangles biscuits and sweet tea! Good thing I don't have the chance to there too often........

Anyway, we were at Myrtle beach and had a great time in the ocean. Playing in the waves was my exercise last week, so now I have to get back on the Cathe wagon!

It's good to be back. I'll have to catch up on the forums as I didn't take my laptop with me and am way behind on the news around here!

Have a great afternoon all

Hi all,

I went down to exercise again this morning, started my PU challenge and BANG! pounding HA again. So Lisa, I took it back for a while. :D I was supposed to do level 3 this week but dropped down to level 2. I don't think I'm ready for level 3. Anyway, I did 20/15/15/13/20 and struggled with these. I had to rest after these and let my HA go away. I'm going to try very hard on Wednesday to make sure everything is right when I do them again and see if it makes a difference. I do want to be able to continue with this challenge. I did go back and do Bootcamp with Cathe and had a great time. I modify as necessary but still get a great w/o.

ee335b1a4d5f722b562f19536c127df0e9a01c4.gif
Lucy. It sounds like you had a great vacation.

Have fun today Mary. I always dread going to Walmart but find that it's much better with the kids back in school. ;) Our Walmart an Target are across the street from each other also. :)

Murphy, I haven't bought any of Amy's w/os for a while but hear that Slo Mo is very good. Do you use this one often?

Lisa, my HA went away again and I don't want it back.
51d350494fe271e152c71a0d6d5de209eba7fc7.gif
I'm sorry you have it now though.
dca15b4e7e5a1e6f2ea5032ed5222e70740434b.gif

Better run. I'll check back later.

I'm back and HA-free! Hopefully it found some other 40+ people to go bother. I did IMAX2 and BG SB abs. I even mowed the lawn!

Murphy, Pace weights are magnetic 1/2 lb increments for your weights, great for when a leap from say 8 to 10 lbs is too much (especially for my shoulders). Their website is paceweights.com

Rhondalyn, any idea on what is causing your headaches? I thin mine was allergies and sinuses blocking up while I slept. I'll have to make sure to take an allergy pill tonight esp since I mowed.

Lucy, welcome back. I think a lot of people took off for end of summer trips. This checkin is rocking and rolling now!

Mary, do you do your grocery shopping as well at either Walmart/Target? I've been doing most of mine at Walmart, I dread it since it's my stock up run for hopefully the month.

Have a great day everyone!

Hello all.

Big Hugs to you ALL! Thanks for the support about me dealing with my depression it helps :)
z5.gif

Lisa & Ronda please keep those HA to yourselves lol I had a god awful migraine for 2 days this past weekend I don't want to revisit that.
Make sure your staying hydrated as sometimes they tend to trigger HA if I'm not.

Lucy WB from your vacay :) I live in NC :p

Just coming by to post and say I was up by 510am and did PS Legs & abs.

I also just did my 1RM test for squats today and had to have help getting my barbell over my head.

I can lift up to 45-50# safely on my own depending on how I'm feeling, but while I was testing found I had to keep increasing the weight on the bar. I loaded up to 71.5 # OMG!
15.gif

Thats a 1st - I ended up wrapping my ankle weights around the bar as well but I found a weight heavy enough that I couldn't go past 10 reps so I guess I found my squat 1RM. :eek:

I'm seriously am going to have to invest in an adjustable weighted vest and pace weights before STS is out.

Some of the exercises I wish I knew what they were or at least a photo of what it looks like.

So for those that are testing- are you doing the testing per disc number and just going down the line for each exercise? or by muscle group?

Anyhoo - I need to get my boy to his cross county practice at the HS here.

Have a great day Everyone!

picture.php

Vilma,

That is an impressive squat....I got up to 65 lbs and decided that it was good enough. My legs were tired yesterday after adding the 1RM testing on in the afternoon. My DH made a sarcastic comment about how I was walking last night. :eek: You know I dislike doing legs, so I started guessing at some (my bad). I don't know what some of them are either but I'm not going to fret it because I figure once we get the dvds I can preview for the exercises I don't know even though SNM says there will be a tutorial on what the exercises are someday.

I'm testing mostly 1 or 2 body parts at a time. I have that spreadsheet that was published by someone named Chris on the forums. Not sure it's the latest version but it's working well enough.

I have a bench that has a squat bar on the backside, I use that a lot because it hurts my shoulder to lift over my head even though I can for the lighter weights. Yea, I finally figured that out after many shoulder ouchies. That's the one thing I will miss about not getting the Chiro job.....a free adjustment as I'm thinking MAYBE that would help, but then I'm not a huge adjustment type person, it's just irritating at times at the twinge I get in my shoulder sometimes.

Later girls....many happy 1RM testing...

Lisa I just got that excel sheet ( so useful!) - so I'll be using that now to just figure out what some of those exercises are.

I wish they would put up the tutorial or show what some of those exercises are. Hopefully they will , so for now I'll just focus on the ones I know :confused:

picture.php

Happy Wednesday All,

I got my workout in and am a little annoyed w/ myself. I probably should have pushed harder, but I was lazy. I have to make sure I eat well today to make up for the calories I did not burn.

Everyone - (don't want to talk them up) sorry to hear about all the headaches. I hope everyone feels better soon.

Lisa - thanks for the info on the pace weights. Do you like them?

Murph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.