~~~>STS 6 Month Alumni-Week of July11th<~~~

I was testing to see if it would make the smiley big too but no such luck.LOL Oh well!

It sounds like everyone is having a very eventful weekend. Not too much going on around here. Just a lot of relaxing.:rolleyes: Or lazing is more like it. I have a million and one things I need to do but nothing that I want to do. Just another one of those weekends I guess.

Tomorrow I am going to start a new workout week. I don't want to commit to a month of a rotation just in case so I am going to try for a week and then go from there. I have not looked at what I will do yet but I am thinking about leading the week with an endurance leg workout from STS and then maybe some MMA. Still not going to push any arm workouts since I feel a little something still in there.

Kim-I love the idea of letting the boys do the ground breaking! There are no child labor laws around there are there;):p I think all you have to pay teen age boys is food! The one thing they can't get enough of! haha
I think we are all finishers in this group. I hate leaving a rotation before it is done. I hate even missing one workout. I always think that the ones Cathe puts together are for a certain result and I feel I have to complete to see that. Even though she probably is just putting them together from habit now, she has done so many!

Cendrine-I know what you mean about hoping dh is going to go on a stud search soon. I have a few things around here that wish dh was in the mood for.LOL
I love the boot idea. You are so creative. I might steel that idea if I come across a cute or cool looking old boot.
I feel better when I get my projects done ahead of time too. That is one less thing to stress about. The party is this coming weekend right? How far ahead of time do you plan on making the cake?

Jo-I hope the arm did OK with the kayaking. Have you been watching the Deadliest Catch? I think they have done a really good job of telling the story of Captain Phil's last days. I like that it does not really seem staged like a lot of reality shows. It is really sad. There doing a 2 hr show on Tuesday to say farewell to Phil.

OK I better go. I promised dh pancakes this morning so that is what he going to get! LOL

TTYL

Rachel

Enjoying my rest day immensely! The builder actually phoned on a Sunday afternoon to tell us that construction is starting on the 15th, this Thursday so hopefully it will go as planned.

Cendrine I have to admit that I fell off the wagon with the clean eating:eek: Gotta to do better this week. We had lettuce, beets and onions from the garden today, you're right it sure is nice to enjoy the harvest. I love the rubber boot idea!! How cute! My thyroid is back in check now.

Rachael So did you make a workout plan for this week? Hope you enjoyed your relaxing weekend.

We had a pretty busy day, it feels like even though we didn't really do that much! We had a boardmeeting happening at our house. A friend of ours started a non-profit organisation and asked dh and I to be on the board. I declined because I didn't feel I wanted to commit but had attended in the past since it was at our house and she called me an honorary boardmember. After a year of the meetings I am fully sick of them and so glad I didn't commit! So today, when they were meeting, I luckily had a party we could go to with the kids at the park right at the same time....;) So we snuck out and I feel like I played hooky even though I never agreed to meet in the first place....
the kids helped get the house straightened up before the meeting and then we went out to eat as we were just kind of feeling like it.
I had a chance to work on a good looking rotation for myself this weekend. I will be doing a two week rotation of Pilates while slowly adding light ankle weights and dumbells. then I have worked out a low impact rotation with everything I have that lasts an entire month. I feel kind of excited about it and hope that it will help me be more purpuseful this moth.

Kim, I'm glad you are enjoying your rest day! And I am keeping my fingers crossed for the groundbreaking on the 15th! I'm so glad your thyroid is all better!

Rachel, I am going to make the cake on Friday, party is on Saturday. But I will not assemble it (top on stalk) until serving time because I'm afraid it might collapse if it sat in the fridge with the weight on it like that for too long... I'm probably going to have to make the recipe twice since I think we will have enough people to eat two cakes. I'll still only make one toadstool cake, but will have a simple shaped one of the same flavor for backup just in case we run out. Good luck on your workout week, and good job for still taking it easy on your upper body. How's your back now?

Hi Jo, I hope you had fun kayaking!

Good Monday morning!!!

Well I think its a little early and don't want to jinx it but I did 30/30 this morning and no equipment abs and so far so good! I tried to make sure I stayed aware of my abs through out the Hiit that way maybe nothing would jar upon landing. I feel great. I think I might be able to keep some sort of rotation up this way.Still no major upper body stuff though. At the end of the no equip abs when you have to do the planks I could feel the tinge in the bends of my elbows still. No major pain but I know just one day of lifting and it would be back full on it feels like.

We had no major weekend events...All in all it was a great weekend. I made the best roasted sweet potatoes last night. They were super easy and I got the recipe off one of the recipe forums on this site. They were chipotle lime sp's very delicious.

Cendrine-Why aren't you a caterer for kids parties...Don't answer that, I know the stress is not worth it! LOL;) That is a great idea to make to cakes and one be the decorated one and the other plain. I would have probably tried to make one super huge cake and nothing would have worked out.
Aren't you glad you started saying no before they asked you to be on the board!!! Now you are not obligated for anything! Love that!

Kim-This week I was afraid to write anything down for a rotation since I was scared that I would not be able to complete it and then we have that thing we talked about where I feel like I need to and can't. I would rather play it by ear this week. I have an idea worked out in my head though. Hiit today, legs tomorrow, kb, then some form of step and then legs again and MMA. Hopefully I can hold to that.

Jo-You must have had a great time!!!

I saw somewhere that the site was going to be down on the 13th and 14th or the 14 and 15. It wasn't a sticky but it was posted by snm. Something about new stuff they were doing.

Have a great day!

Hi Everyone! I'm back and had a great time! I did HIS this morning as I slept about 9 hours so need to get going! I was worn out from all that fresh mountain air and kayaking! I'll report more later - just wanted you to know that I'm back and so is the rain! :D I was very lucky to have such a fantastic week off both weather wise and FUN!

We had gone out to eat last night and I had a greek style nacho dish, it kept me up all night!:( So much for the clean eating wagon, Kim, I need to get back on it too and my stomach will thank me...
Today was a light morning, I got a Jennifer Kries pilates workout in which was good, I never worked out to her before. Then I spent some time on the internet buying stuff for the kids...:eek: I'm such a sucker for great kid toys and activities... There was a special for a paper making kit usually going for 24.- and it was down to 12.- so I added that thinking I will be able to get the kids to have fun making cards and other projects with it.
the reason I was really on the web was to get a waterballoon filling and tying gadget that allows the kids to do it themselves (I still remember last year having to do it all mysef...) and got a bit carried away...

We have a friend for ds coming over in the afternoon for a playdate, poor kid has never made cookies from scratch, we found out (fater is a tennis addict and mother a dr, so I guess not much home time there) so of course we will be making cookies among other things... It's a clean eating recipe with almond butter and dark chocolate, it is a really good recipe if any of you are interested.

Not much else going on here, just trying to enjoy the lull while it's here! LOL!

Me Me!! I know you can't see, Cendrine, but I am waving my hand frantically for that cookie recipe. What a fun experience it is going to be for ds's friend. As your kids get older and their friends keep coming over, you are definitely going to be known as the cool mom...Just like Kim!;)

Not too much going on here. Dh and I are on our own again. We really did not need help anymore but were going to keep the guys around because they kind of are in bad situations but they flaked out before we could let them go anyway. One is an alcoholic that I had to constantly remind to stay sober on Sundays and the other was a teen who, when we finally had to actually work a little, decided he would goof off. He worked fine when there wasn't anything for him to do...LOL
Oh well, I really like not having to worry about anyone else. At least when it is just dh and I, we know we are both working.

Kim-That is great news on the house. Maybe soon you will be able to post some pics. I have not been doing too great on the eating either. I really hate to eat out because I know I can't control whats on my plate as much as at home and we have been doing more eating out than usual here lately.
I can really tell a difference in how I feel when I get more veges in. It just really is not soup time around here and I was really leaning on that alot in the winter. Being able to just reach in the freezer and have something clean to eat.

Jo-How did your arm do with the kayaking? I am glad the weather cooperated with your vacation! That rarely happens. Can't wait to hear how it went!

Insanity done. Goodness it felt hard today. You know sometimes you start a workout not feeling like doing it but once the adrenaline gets going you enjoy it. Didn't happen today I felt like I was dragging myself through the whole workout.

DS is at a hockey camp for goalies for the week. Just a day camp. 6 hours of working out! He is limping around here tonight, LOL! It's a lot of extra driving for me so longer days this week along with a heavy Insanity schedule. :confused:

Cendrine I would love a healthy cookie recipe! DS is really getting into baking after taking home ec this year at school but he doesn't bake very healthy things. What kind of non-profit group is meeting at your house? Is your DH involved with it? I'm glad that you're fired up about your two week rotation! I have a Jennifer Kries pilates workout, it's a good workout but a little long.

Rachael I should check out the sweet potatoe recipe, it sounds good. I'm curious to see what SNM is adding to the website. I wonder if we'll see a presale announcement soon;):p Probably best that it's just and DH, less to worry about.

Jo I'm so glad that you had fun! Are you back to work this week? Are you busy studying?

Clean Eating Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup unsalted almond butter, stirred well (I use the chunky kind)
3/4 cup Sucanat
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater), broken into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl beat the egg, then add the Sucanat and beat until well blended, then add the salt, baking soda and almond butter and mix well. Stir in chocolate.

2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 15 more minutes.

Hint: make a double batch, these cookies disappear like nobody's business!

I hope you guys will like them! They are one of our favorite ones!

Rachel, I'm so sorry you had such bad luck with the help and am glad that you are able to work by yourselves again. I am probably kind of similar when it comes to work, I kind of like doing it all by myself unless there is someone who works like me...;)

Kim, I am feeling some sore muscles already from the Jennifer Kries workout! It was the 3-dimensional pilates 60 min workout. I didn't like the yoga portions as much but it was still a good workout.
My friend's non-profit organisation is hard to describe in a statement, because she does so much. Initially she started it because she felt that a church should not make people pay for the counselling they are getting, but her church would not pay her a salary and she decided to start her own ministry offering free counselling and depending entirely on donations for her living expenses. But she does a lot of mentoring of young people as well and helps out in areas that are filled with poor and underprivileged people. She also takes teams with her to go minister to different churches to train and teach them how to move more in a 'book of acts' kind of ministry. In order for the donations to be tax deductible she had to be part of this group that demands boardmeetings. I admire my friends dedication and conviction but she has a way of making me feel guilty for not being out there with her helping out. I keep feeling like she wants to suck me in and I simply don't have the capacity to be involved. She values my input and opinions which is why she wants me on the board but her board meetings are not like a getting business done kind of meetings, they can drag on and on, and I always find myself fidgeting hoping for it to be done...:eek: Clearly not my calling at this point... Dh has initially showed some interest in being involved beyond the board meeting issues and has helped her in the technical areas such as getting her office set up, web page stuff and things like that. But he is so swamped with work and being a good dad that he really doesn't have time either. Maybe when the kids are older and more independent.
I'm sorry your workout was so hard today! I remember a few times when I felt the same way! Hats off to you for sticking it out! Just this week left to go, right? 6 hours of workouts for your ds is a ton? No wonder he is limping around... I would be too! I hope he finds the energy to make you a batch of the recipe, since you don't seem to have any extra time this week!

Jo, I'm so glad you had a great time! How much more time you got left of freedom before having to go back to work?

You guys please forgive me - no time to post today!!! I was back at work today...and I walked into total chaos problems up the ying yang! Then the school called and I had to go take a placement test that had to be done before tomorrow (someone neglected to have me take it!). So it's now 10:30, I just got home 30 minutes ago, grabbed a bite to eat and now time for bed! I'll try and get caught up on posts tomorrow!

YOWZA! Take a deep breath. At least I got my workout in today! :D

Kim, just keep telling yourself that you are almost done and I know you are going to get through it...Remember, You are GOING TO TAKE A REST after this! LOL
It's so cool that your ds liked home ec enough to bring home the baking...You should tell him that a gal loves a guy that can cook;)

Cendrine, thanks for posting that recipe! I am going to have to go to our organic store to get almond butter but it looks like it will be worth it. I think I will stick with a batch since I ill be the anialator (spelling:eek:) between dh and I.

Jo-, It sounds like your week has started off with a bang! DOn't worry about it and post when you can. It sounds like things are getting interesting at school!

It was disc 3 for me today and it was a toughy! I did go down on my weights so I would not risk anything. In doing that though I could get lower. I used the hamstring advice Cathe posted to concentrate on those a little more on the low ends of the exercises. She does give good advice!

Better go

Have a great day!
Rachel

Wow, guys, I think I am finally getting those swimlessons for my kids! Boy that was hard this year! If we are lucky we will start next week.

Jo, you sure hit the ground running! Wow, what a busy girl you were! I'm glad you got your workout in, it always feels better even on a busy day! I hope you're able to come up for air !

Workout for me was a 20 min interval walk on the treadmill and a 40 pilates workout. I am soooooore in my hamstrings from Jennifer Kries! She did something right! (maybe it was the ankle weights?) I don't know kind of doubt it because they were light, but who knows?

I spent 1.5 hrs at the pediatrician for dd's physical, turns out she didn't need any shots or bloodwork or anything which made dd a really happy camper! However the dr heard a funny click in the heart she wasn't so sure about. She wasn't very clear about what it might mean but didn't order any special tests for now. She is thinking it might normalize as her body grows.
Dd measured in at about 30th percentile, definitely on the small side whereas ds always measures in at the 95th percentile. Better this way than the other way around, I think....;)

Dragged myself through Insanity again. Goodness I'm looking forward to that rest week! 5 workouts left!

Cendrine, my kids do swimming lessons next week as well! How come it's so hard to sign up for swimming lessons? Our lessons are all run by the city and easily accessible.
I sure hope that dd's strange symptom is nothing hopefully you don't spend too much time worrying about. Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll have to look for some of the ingredients but sure will like to try it. SOunds like some good work that your dear friend is doing, I know from experience that these organizations can pull you in and it's hard to get out. I find it really hard to not feel guilty. I'm finally finished on the two boards that I was on and it really feels so good to have less responsibilty (besides home and work:rolleyes:) maybe when my kids are grown I"ll get back into some volunteer work.

Rachael I'm glad that ds likes to bake as well! It's nice to come home to warm brownies after work;)

Jo What a busy start of the week for you!

Hi Guys,

today is dd's actual birhtday. We let her open up the presents from her granparents (the ones I got to buy) and our own first thing this morning, and the kids have been playing with them ever since. Looks like they liked the toys as much as I did when I chose them....;) I am so living through my kids on their birthdays with gifts and parties like I never had.... so much for spoiling them. Ds was pleasantly surprised to find that at least half of the presents were cool enough even for him to want to play with them... not too girly, LOL:rolleyes:
Once the kids were set to play I did my workout late, treadmill walk and pilates video, I'm still sore from Monday, but I'm just gonna keep going.
Dd wants to go to IN-nout today... inside. :p When we go, which isn't often, we go through the drive through and she wanted to go sit. Of course when we asked her where she wanted to eat, she said the arrow restaurant, because that is what she sees on the sign when we go...:)

Kim, hearing you say that you find it hard not to feel guilty regarding organisations like my friend's, helps me feel so much better! Thanks for sharing your perspective! The truth is, all other people involved are either single or have grown kids, they are clueless to what goes into our day with kids who still need us, so reading that you have enough going on with home and work gave me back perspective and helps me just stand my ground for now. Like you said, when the kids are grown things will look different, but for now I don't want to fit the kids into whatever else I do, I don't want to look back and regret not having spent more time with them.

As far as swim lessons go, the reason why it was hard this time was because I missed the time when we could have done it because we were in Switzerland (with that specific instructor that is) So then he kept saying he was gonna do something in June, then in beginning of July, and since I kept waiting to hear from him I didn't go get signed up anywhere else...:rolleyes: I was very close to grabbing a guy at our pool to teach the kids this year, then I finally heard that lessons will start next week (I hope). Next year if we miss the window of opportunity I'll just sign up with the pool teachers rather than this private one who is not having extra staff to meet extra demands. But we really liked the results we got last year which is why I wanted the kids to go back with him. Ds is thinking about joining swimteam next year because he knows a lot of his friends are in it. I would like his technique to be better before he joins next year. That will make for a busy summer for sure, they practice every day except mondays and have meets on weekends frequently. Such good exercise, though!

Yay on another insanity done! You are getting there and you sure get a medal for perseverance!

Rachel and Jo, how are things with you guys!

Well another quick post from me! Last night I wrote this longgggg post to all of you and got completely caught up (including kayak adventure) and then when I went to save it they had already taken the servers down on the Cathe site! WHAH WHAH WHAH!!!! so I lost the whole thing! So I'll have to skip personals and all other updates for now. I have my first test tonight so won't be online tonight either (unless I get to leave early).

I will say this though: whenever we are in CA, DH always insists on going to In and Out (or however you spell it!) And, when I was working down there, whenever DH came to visit me, we had to go! LOL! It's a California MUST DO!

Anyway, I'm here! Hope you are all well!!! Oh, one other quickie, I've been so busy the last couple of days...yesterday I forgot it was spinning so I did PUB in the morning then remembered it was Tuesday not Monday and so did spinning last night too! LOVE THAT!

Kim, I know exactly what you mean about dragging yourself through a workout. I felt that same way right before I took that week off. I was even to the point that I thought I needed to find something else to do for a while. I think it was mainly the injuries and feeling worn down though. I am sure after a break from Insanity you are going to feel so much better.
I hear ya on the brownies too! You are definitely going to have to raid Cendrine's recipes so he can bake some healthy ones! :D

Cendrine-I am sure if dd's heart pattern was anything to worry about her dr would have ordered tests immediately! At least you know she is keeping up with things.
So what do you get at in and out burger. They are supposed to be coming to this area too. Just what our part of the country needs...more healthy food:rolleyes: NOT! Why can't we get some sort of organic food restaurant. That will never happen.
WTG on getting a rotation down. I know it is a milestone when you feel you are finally ready to take on a little more. I need to check out that pillattes (I think I spell that different every time:rolleyes:) instructor. The one that made you so sore!

Jo-I am sure once you get into school and get going it won't be this hectic. It is all the little things that you have to do to get going that take up all the time. Soon you will have your schedule down and it will be just like when you added the gym. Smooth as butter! Just keep checking in...We know you are busy so don't worry about personals.

Today I had a rest day. I have decided that as long as I am working this schedule that I am only going to work out 5 days a week. I will just move the rest day around so sometimes I will have the whole weekend off. This will change things up for me a little and maybe let me gain some energy back. I don't know but I have not been able to maintain a level energy. I am mostly low with spurts of high...and they are really micro spurts. I am hoping it is just the heat but I am ready to feel like my old self again.
Oh yea...SUPER DOMS from disc 3! ouch!
The only thing about a floating rest day is that I can't really write a rotation down so what I think I will do is figure out the workouts I want to do that week and then fill them in during the week as I go. We'll see!

TTYT
Have a great night!

You made me laugh about the pilates spellilng, Rachel! I think you would like In-n-out, but it's not really any healthier than anything else fast food. They do have a few things you can order that isn't on the menu. One is that you can order a protein burger, means it is wrapped in lettuce without the bun, I always order mine with grilled onions, really like it that way. Another thing, a lot less healthy is animal style fries, it means they top your fries with cheese, the in-n-out signature burger sauce and grilled onions if you ask for it...;) It's ds' new favorite. You should definitely try it when it comes to town, but I agree with you, there aren't any healthy fast food places around, no matter how big the town...

Sorry about your lost post, Jo, I would have loved reading it!

Happy birthday to your dd Cendrine! Was she turning 4??

Okay, I'm sure you're all sick of hearing me complain about Insanity. I finished today's workout so that leaves 4!

I've never heard of In-N Out? Is it a fast food restaurant?

Sorry, quick post for me. It's been a long and hectic week, gotta to go spend some time with my kids.:p

Hi Everyone! I GOT 100% on my first test! YEAH! I needed that! :eek::D:confused::p I LOVE MATH!

Kim, please don't worry about complaining about Insanity...I bust out laughing now everytime you mention how many are left! ;) It makes my day! :p

Rachel, you know something else you might consider: you don't have to do a rotation on a 7 day week. You could do a 8, 9 or 10 day week and then include more rest days. With the kind of work you do, along with trying to do structured rotations, (and the heat!), you body is probably begging for you to give it a break! You might work it like your doing and have the weekend off, or you might take a rest every 3 days or even try every 2 days. Lots of times you'll find you'll have better results getting more rest. This is no different than shaking things up with all the different weight lifting techniques we did with STS. REST IS GOOD!

Cendrine, I hope DD enjoyed her birthday! You sound like it's a good time for you too! A click in her heart? That's a new one! Like Rachel said, it must be okay if they aren't worried about it, but I've never heard of anyone clicking! :) Sounds like you all are enjoying the summer!

Okay, it's 10:30...I need to do some work email and then get to bed! Tomorrow night is Resort night! One of my BFF's who lives in downtown Seattle is going to join us (one of my birthday requests was that she come for Resort night so she's accommodating! :cool:) However she won't be spinning with us. She's a big yoga buff so will go to yoga and then water aerobics.

Glad I got to finally post a little. Have a great day tomorrow!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.