~*~Thursday Melting Pot~*~

allwildgirl

Cathlete
Morning all!

I just spent an hour shoveling the driveway out and cleaning off the cars, so I didn't get my run in this morning. I guess shoveling is a pretty good workout, right?

It's mostly stopped snowing, so hopefully the drive into work won't be awful. Oh, who am I kidding?:p

I'll be back later for personals, etc.!

Morning fellow-melter-awayers.

Shelley, does Sophie feel better this morning? Greyor had the pukey bug last weekend. All we had from the storm system was rain. Some of it was pretty heavy last night though.

Emily, {{{HUGS}}} Water pouring into the basement? Been there, done that. Not fun. Is it cleaned up now?

Leanne, glad to hear it's not an infection. My DH has chronic sinus problems. I don't envy him or you.

I finished my sweater last night. I wanted to post some pictures, but the internet was down with the thunderstorm we got. Here you go:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/robinbuffettgirl/sweater002.jpg"

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/robinbuffettgirl/sweater001.jpg"

Time to go do knee exercises. See you later.

Good morning, Melters!

Shelley - shoveling is definitely an upper body workout with a good bit of cardio! So you get to come home this evening, put on your comfy clothes and relax. I hope your drive to and from work is safe, if not stress-free.

Last night the farrier came to trim the horses' hooves, so that means it was my rest day. I don't know what workout I'll do today. Probably more upper body. The doc totally forbade lower body weights. He seems to think elliptical work will be okay, but I'm going to have to just play that one by ear. Or feel, or whatever. The last time I tried, I regretted it.

I'll be back later for more personals.

ETA -
Robin - we were posting at the same time! OMG, that sweater is GORGEOUS!!!

Mornin' Melters!

I'm sooooo not melting this week and I really need a kick in the pants. It's been a stressful week and I've been relieving my stress with food. Not good. Must get back on track!

Our basement is drying up nicely, and the drainage in the window well appears to be restored, at least for the time being. Guess we'll find out for sure when the next rain storm rolls in.

Shelley, I hope you get to work alright!

Robin, OMG! That sweater is incredible!!! You MADE that??? You are a knitting GODDESS! I tried knitting a few times but I just can't quite "get" it. Crocheting is a breeze for me, but it's no good for making sweaters. I'm really impressed with your knitting talent!

Shannon, I'm sorry you're forbidden from doing lower body work. Boooo! Injuries just plain suck. :(

Hope everyone else is having a good Thursday so far!

Hi everyone. We're having a quiet day at home, and boy, do I need it! After getting Isaac on the boss, I walked with Ewan in his stroller over to a nearby deli/convenience store because I had to get some yellow snacks for Ewan's school tomorrow. They're having a "rainbow feast" and we're supposed to bring yellow stuff.

Now Ewan's sitting next to me watching a Curious George DVD with his Curious George doll on his lap. I was going to take a picture of him and post it, but my camera's battery is run down. :( I'll see if I can get one later. He just looks so sweet with George. Ewan really loves monkeys (though George is actually a chimp because he has no tail). I think it says something about his personality--he is sort of a little monkey. DS Isaac's favorite animal is a giraffe, which is appropriate because he's also a quiet, skinny, picky eater (though his neck is not particularly long). My favorite animal is a tiger, and I don't think that says much about my personality, except that I have a bit of a temper.

Anyone else want to share what their favorite animal is and what it says about them?

Shelley, when you talked about snow again, I decided to google map your town. I was just curious how far into Canada you were. I guess you don't have to be too far in to get lots of snow, though, probably especially if you are near the Great Lakes, huh? And it looks like you are right smack amid the Lakes. I need to find out where my Canadian grandfather was from--can't remember though I think it was somewhere in Ontario.

Robin, great sweater--looks so warm and cozy. I'm impressed, I've never had the patience for crafts (more of that tiger personality, probably) and so I can't imagine being able to complete something like that.

Shannon, I'm sorry your still having trouble with that calf, though it's nice not to be the only one limited, if you know what I mean. I also can't do any lower body work except my PT exercises--and of course my cardio is limited. I don't even have an elliptical or anything to try like that.

Emily, here's a kick: http://bestsmileys.com/kick/2.gif and a hug to soften the blow: http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/1.gif

Tneah, OK, I'll get that haircut soon, though it may have to wait until next Friday (the next time I have free time and no PT apptmnt). In the mean time I'll color it. I do that myself out of a box. I know they say you can't do that on an ongoing basis, but I've been doing it for at least 15 years and my hair hasn't fallen out yet. I'll post an avatar of my hair to prove it.

Leanne, glad you don't have an ear infection--great news.

OK, BBL.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif

If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans.[/font]

Good Morning Meltees:)

Robin, that sweater is so beautiful-wow!:eek: The detail is amazing, you are a true Ar-teest my lady!:7 I could never do that, wow.....plus it looks so warm and cozy, I bet you love wearing it. You are so pretty by the way, I have told you that before, but thought I'd say it again.

Shelley, Yes! Shoveling snow counts as a wicked workout, I read somewhere it burns mega-calories, plus its heavy so you get the resistance workout too. I say put on those comfy clothes after work and take a rest day tonight...

Shannon, you have horses too??:) Can I come live with you guys? I have always wanted to live in a home where there is room for all sorts of animals, and horses are so incredible-alot of work though right?
Take care, you will get those "calf answers" soon.

Emily, hey, get going with that clean eating girl. No time like the present, get rid of the tempting stuff laying around today and start guzzling your water-I am finding it helps to down a ton of water. You can do it! You can also tell me to shut the hell up now too.:*

Lainie, I can picture your little one sitting there with George the chimp of course.;) Your kids are so darling, their personalities really shine through in the pics you show us. I believe we each have a totem animal(s), one that we are born with, one we "relate" to, or feel curiously drawn to, whether its your favorite animal or one that just seems to fascinate you.
The bear is one of my totems for sure. I have dreams about bears waving to me and following me.. and I just know-ya know what I mean? I am fiercely protective of my family and anyone or anything that I love and that I feel needs to be "protected"...my mom used to tell me waking me up in the morning was like waking up a bear from hibernation!

The other animal I love and find mysterious and kinda spooky is the panther. Back in the early 90's I found these black panther ceramic cats-almost life-size that you put in your living room or whatever-decorative things. I carried those cats around with me for 10 years...they were so cool.:) :)

That was fun, now I want to go to the Mirage and check out Sigfried and Roy's 'Secret Garden" where you can see all the big cats in their natural habitat.:7
When I was little I wanted to go to heaven just so I could play with the animals-no other reason!

Okay, one more day until weigh-in. I don't see any changes really, however my DH states he sees changes and I should not stay on this diet too much longer because he doesn't want me to get too skinny--whatever dude, what does he know about losing bodyfat while building muscle anyway? I love him though.:7 BBL....to say hi the rest of our Melters...

Emily - well, Lanie already gave you the boot, so I'll be nice. :p I sure am glad your basement is drying out. And you're right. Injuries suck. But this too shall pass... one of these days...

Lanie - yes, I know what you mean. I'm glad I'm not the only one too! You've had it much worse, that's for sure!

Tneah - yep, two horses. Mine aren't too much work, but I don't do any sort of competing or showing. One is getting pretty old though, so she is becoming more work. But she's a good girl and deserves it. And no, you can't come to live with me.... until your 12 weeks are up. ;) I'd be miserable just watching you suffer on that diet.

Favorite animal? Well, I guess it'd have to be the dog. I dearly love doggies of just about any shape, type or size. They're just so happy and loveable, and just want to be your friend. But I've always felt that the wolf was more of my totem animal. It loves the open, wild places and needs them to survive. But it's also very social and needs its family. That describes me pretty well.

Okay. I'm STARVING.

Ah shucks. You guys make me blush. Especially tneah. But really, I'm not an artist. I'm just really good at following directions.

Hmmm animal totems? I think I would have to be some kind of bird. I really feel drawn to Red Tail Hawks. They seem so powerful and graceful. There must some kind of unique peacefulness when they soar. Hummingbirds draw me too. They, again, are so powerful and graceful, any yet so tiny and perfect. Sigh, wouldn't it be nice to be tiny and perfect?

tneah, my DH gives me the "not to skinny" line too. He'd like me about 15 pounds heavier than I'd like myself.

Shannon, I'm sorry to hear you need an MRI. I was hoping he would say the pain was part of the healing. Let us know what you find out.

Hey all, I'm finally back! It took me over two hours to get to work this morning. Ugh. I'm hoping the afternoon drive will be better. Cross your fingers for me, please!!!

Robin - that sweater is amazing! I can't imagine ever making anything like that.

Shannon - take it easy on the elliptical work, okay?

Emily - I'll kick ya in the pants:) I'm glad your basement is drying out nicely.

Lainie - I don't think I have a favourite animal. However, in the Chinese calendar, I'm a dragon, which I think is pretty appropriate. I don't think we get more snow just because we're in Canada. We do get Lake effect snow as a result of being on the shore of Lake Ontario, but I would have to say that Buffalo gets more snow than we do.

Tneah - my shoveling burned 450 calories. I may do a light run tonight anyway. Don't you love it when DH's or SO's say that we're too skinny?

Happy afternoon, melters!

I've done pretty good today (so far). I haven't had any cookies or chocolate. Hey it's a start! :) So thanks for the kicks, everyone. ;)

Lainie, I bet Ewan is just adorable with his Curious George doll. :D

Tneah, believe me, I drink a TON of water every day. It doesn't help me at all, as far as cravings and appetite are concerned. But at least I'm well-hydrated. *floats away* ;) Interesting concept about the totem animals. I love all sorts of animals - I don't know if I could pick just one favorite. I like owls. They have cool faces, and they have an aura of mystery about them, since they're so rarely seen. I have no idea what that says about me, though.

I love 'favorite" things! It helps you understand others better I think, I am just naturally curious too.;) I should be writing but well, am avoiding it right now...so...

So if you have time...what is your sign? Like astrological one? I am a Gemini/Taurus-born on the "cusp", my ascendant sign is on a cusp too, so I have both Leo and Cancer both dancing around in my head, along with my other two signs, I am lucky, I get four! But doesn't that make me like bi-polar or something?:7

Ok, so what's your all-time favorite workout? I think mine is probably still "Ripped" series Tae Bo because it was my "first", and that Billy Blanks makes me laugh with his off kilter counting! Followed closely by Cathe's 4DS workouts.

Moving on..what's your favorite all-time dessert/food? Yes, I am going there with the food-sorry. Mine has to be "ghetto spaghetti and meatballs". When I was really poor, my roomie and I would make spaghetti sauce out of catsup and meatballs out of the cheap ground beef, I remember thinking this was the best stuff ever! I still love spaghetti and meatballs.:7

Favorite dessert? See's chocolates with caramel centers!:7

Best book you ever read? Mine is probably a toss up between "Gone With the Wind" and "A Moveable Feast" by Ernest Hemingway. It floored me that book did.

One more...do you have a "secret talent" or not so secret talent that others would find surprising? I play the piano, took lessons throughout my childhood and high school. Oh, and I can wiggle my nostrils like a rabbit without moving the rest of my nose.:+

Okay your turn.

What is my sign! tneah, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were trying to pick me up. It would never work, though, because I'm a Gemini too.

Favorite workout? Step Blast, followed by Rythmic Step. I love step!

Favorite dessert/food? Just about anything chocolate. Just about anything salmon.

Best book. I think that would have to be The Shipping News by Annie Proulx.

Secret talent? Nope. I can't keep a secret, so if I had a talent, you all would know about it in a heartbeat.

Next?

Aries. And yes, I'm rammy as hell.

Workout - Right now it's Amy Bento ASCII but it changes all the time.

Fave dessert/food - dessert would be bread pudding or maybe Dufflet's white chocolate mousse cake. Food, I can't pick.

Book - can't pick.

Talent - not one I can share here ;-)

I'm not good at playing favourites. My favourite band is Tool. That's about as far as I'll go.

Ooh, fun.

My Sign: Leo, though I never felt it described me well except maybe my self-centeredness. Funny thing--my Chinese zodiac sign is Tiger, so maybe it does make sense that it's my favorite animal and maybe I have a big cat thing going on.

Favorite workout? Changes a lot but I love step--Step Blast, Rhythmic Step, Amy's ASCII and BM2 (can't pick just one)

Favorite dessert/food? Italian food--yum an Cuban food--yum yum. Dessert: anything involving chocolate and/or ice cream

Favorite book: I can't say "best" because I'm sure I've read some technically better, but my favorite is the classic fantasy book The Once and Future King by T.H. White. It's a story of the life of King Arthur and I love how in the beginning (when he's a child) the story is more childish and fun, but the book's style grows up with him until the end it's more wise and bittersweet. *sigh* Going to have to re-read it again soon.

Secret talent? Myriad. I even surprise my DH when I describe to him things I've done in the past--used to do a lot on stage, singing, dancing, acting, speaking, etc. This was with school or church events. Not that I was particularly great at any of it (decent singing voice and good range, though). Funny thing is I generally consider myself to be shy, and I was usually mortified on stage, so I'm not sure why I pushed myself to do it so much. Also, I still consider pursuing a seminary degree so I can be an Episcopal priest, which would probably put me in front of people again. Maybe I'm more Leo than I think.

ETA: I'm a darn fine airdummer to classic rock songs, too. And I can lift my left eyebrow by itself.

My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif

Oh, okay. I'll play.

My sign - Leo. But I have no idea what that means because I've never paid attention to astrology. I'm pretty sure my Chinese zodiac is the monkey. Don't know what that means either, but I found out when I went overseas with a friend who was adopting her second Chinese daughter.

Favorite workout - Cardio: Step Blast. Weights: GS series. (I know, that's three, but oh well.)

Favorite food - PEANUT BUTTER. At least at the moment. I'm having an attack.

Favorite dessert - dang, that's hard. Probably chocolate chip cookies.

Favorite book - I simply can't choose. My house is full of them, and I love them all. I will admit that I really enjoy fantasy and sci-fi, though.

Secret talent - I used to be a pretty darned good gardener, but for some reason, my thumb is turning from green to brown. I think I'm pretty good at working with animals.

Oh you guys thanks for "playing" with me:)

Boy, we have some pretty strong signs round here! Shelley, of course you are an Aries! And one can only imagine what that "secret" talent is..hu, maybe I'll ask your SO...ha!

And hey fellow Gemini...such a topsy turvy sign...well at least in our heads, there literally is two different people in there constantly isn't there? Thank goodness for my little Taurus thing happening, it keeps me grounded on most days I think. Yes, I used to study astrology, its actually kind of scientific if you will...I know asking for everyone's sign sounded like a really sorry pick up line didn't it?

Shannon, I forgot, peanut butter is one of my faves too. Is anything better really than a spoon and a newly opened jar?:p

Lainie, you are going to be a priest??:eek: Oh my goodness, that is really inspiring, wow. And you can raise only one eyebrow? I love that, I can't do it.

I want to play some more, but cannot right now...BBL:7 :7

Ha ha--just realized in my first post today I said something about getting Isaac on the boss instead of the bus. Weird mistake.

Anyway, got in a workout today--Your Best Body Circuit with Michelle Dozois. Not Cathe-level but good intermediate circuit workout. Tomorrow I have physical therapy in the morning and then I hope to do some kind of low impact cardio in the afternoon.

It's neat to read people's answers to the questions.

Tneah, don't know yet if I'm going to be a priest--just something I've been considering--will probably have to wait until the kids are a little older.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.