@@ Pentagenarians & Beyond! Week Beg 4/13 @@

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Today I did S&H legs, the abs from Tri/Bi. This is a great workout! I forgot how slow she goes, but I like it like that. I also like that she puts some time between sets. Makes the Pyramid series look like it is at 78 RPM ( I'm dating myself here! LOL;-) )..I think I will alternate this one with the 4DS Kickbox legs, another favorite.

I went to Talbot's yesterday and found a nice khaki type jacket, not too light, not too heavy and a pink cardigan. The jacket was marked down 61%. A good deal.

Garance:
Thanks for the tip on Jcrew...I didn;t even think of leather! I will have to check it out, now that I am using your formula to toss those old clothes, I may have to buy some new stuff! Yea!:7 I love your comments about the cows and "maternity ward"...so different from living in the city and so interesting. I sometimes fantasize about living on a farm, how nice and quiet it must be. I sure wouldn't the kids walking around at midnight ( last night) outside screaming and yelling and having a grand old timex( .

There were actually a few flurries a little while ago...when will it ever end?

Waves "Hi" to Linny & Josie..

Have a great day.

Deb:)

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie--

This morning I did Christi's Fit to Dance (70 min.).

When I came home yesterday, Vicky had calved. Soooo cute. A very easy delivery according to DH and a beautiful day for it as well.

Today is not so nice--not snowing, but chilly and raw. A gradual warming trend, though, for the week.

Yes, Deb, country living is nice, but there's so little in the way of shopping that I have to do almost everything from catalogs online--unless I want to drive over an hour to get to the outlets in Manchester or Lee. Glad you found a nice jacket at Talbot's. I have three leather jackets--all gifts from DH. They just keep getting softer every year and I really like their "worn" look. I had a suede jacket that just became stiffer every year, so I donated it.

Four more weeks of classes. The countdown begins.

Hi Ladies:
Busy day yesterday.My DS and DGD came over yesterday,I hadn't seen her in a month.I felt bad because we went for a walk on the beach and it was a little too cold for me so I started with the hives.So back to the car we went.She really wanted to go on playground.We found another further from ocean so we were able to stay for about 20 minutes till the hives started again.I'm a freakx(
Deb: Sounds like you got a great deal on the jacket.I loves bargains.I'll buy things I don't even need,if its a great deal.
Garance: Congrats on your new addition.Today was pretty raw here too.I can't wait till the weather is warmer maybe then I can go out longer.
I was so upset today.I was getting all these emails from ebay buyers and sellers asking me why I was leaving all these bad messages.I contacted ebay, I quess a third party person hack into my account and was using my email address to harrass people.I had to change my passwords to my Ebay account and also my email account through comcast.What a pain in the a**.I learned never go into a email from anyone suspicious.They'll steal your info~Linny~

Good Morning and Happy Monday..x(

Well DH comes home tonight so things will be back to normal around here.. I like having a few days to myself, but after a bit, I really want him to be home! It was beautiful here yesterday, sunny and in the 50's. That was after flurries at around 6:00 am! crazy weather..I spent most of the afternoon on line looking at houses for sale for my Dad and his wife.. kind of fun looking when it's not for you!

Garance:
How sweet that you get to see the calf right after it's born! Did you ever watch All Creatures Great & Small on PBS? When you mention that your DH is out "calving" it makes me think of Dr Herriot!

Linny:
Your outing with DGD sounds like it was nice..too bad about the hives. Do you get them even if you are bundled up? Scary about that Ebay thing:eek: ...You think that someone got your e-mail from you opening up Spam? That had to be a pain.. now you have to tell all your friends etc your new address.x( . Did you get to workout this weekend?

Hi to Josie !

Have a great day..

Hi Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did the Firm's Cardio Dance Fusion (45 min.). I must be getting good at these dances--DH said I looked "hot" doing the cha-cha.

On the other hand, DH was kind of blurry-eyed this morning. Clover started in labor about 10:30 and had her calf a couple hours later, so DH was up really late. Two cute little calves--one heifer, one a little bull calf.

I LOVED All Creatures Great and small--both the books and the PBS series. My best friend from teen years is a vet

Sorry about your trouble with ebay, Linny. I lost my account in the middle of being spammed to death. Had to call OIT here at Williams to help me and I never fixed the ebay thing, darn. I have a lot of tapes I would like to sell.

Kind of chilly here, but it's supposed to go up to 70 by Thursday.

Big afternoon teaching again--Wordsworth and Rich in the 70s.

Good morning ladies,

I will be spinning this evening. My DS could not come to my house, becuase he had car troulbe, so I had to go to San Diego on Sunday instead of having my grandkinds over for the whole weekend.

Deb, I usually set up my gym equipment in the den. I will not be buying the new workouts, I have enough to keep me busy for a while.

Linny, My GS loves the beach and take him there every time he visits. It was in the 90's in LA and SD. It is supposed to be hot this week too.

Hi, Garance and Jen.

Have a great day eberyone!

Josie

HI Deb,Garance and Josie:
Well ladies another work night begins.Just got up from a little snooze(yawn).
Deb:Did my usual fri,sat,sun,mon workout schedule.I gained a pound back this week.I think it was the 2 white russian I had with dinner saturdayx( Oh well I'll behave again.
Garance:I think my ebay mess is cleared up.I think they are having alot of problems because they sent a message that the will be checking all unusual selling on different computers starting today.Hmmm! I also have a ton of dvds I should be selling not to mention clothes that still have tags on them.Kinda afraid to do that now.
Josie:I'll trade beach weather with you,then maybe I could walk on the beach without this hive thing.Enjoy your beautiful weather.
Off to work I go.Good night~Linny~

Good Morning,

Just getting us started today...I did Chest and Back from the Pyramids...I decided to break the upper body up, and do the whole pyramid for each body part. I like working shoulders, but after chest and back, I find I can;t lift as heavy as I'd like so I am splitting this up into 2 parts. Thursday I will do shoulders, biceps and triceps..just to shake things up a bit!

Well I finally hit the 24 pound mark! It has been almost a year since I started tracking my weigh. My goal is 30 pounds.

Garance:
Clover is such a good name for a calf! You must be getting pretty good at the dance workouts, especially since you took formal lessons!

Josie:
How far is SD? You probably mentioned this before, but where do you actually live? How was the spinning?

Linny:
I think your workout schedule is a good one...4 days on, 3 days off. Just think about people who do nothing all the time, 4 workout days a week is very good! Yours just has to be all in a row instead of spread out. ;-) ..Yeah, those drinks can kill you! lol, but sometimes you just need to relax. I never got any message from Ebay..hmmm..

Have a great day!

Hi Deb, Linny and Garance,

I could not go to my spinning class. I will try again today.

Deb, San Diego is about 1 hour and 40 minutes away if traffic is good, I don't mind driving there because I get to see my 2 litle peanuts. I live in Westchester near LAX. I'm between Marina del Rey and Playa del Rey. I'm very close to the beach.

Linny and Garance have a great day!

Josie

Hi to Deb, Linny, Josie--

This mroning I did Jari Love's Chiseled and Ripped (60 min.). You might like this one Deb, because it's divided up into 3-4 min. chapters. Legs has three, then chest has two, then back, and so on down to biceps.

Clover is the name of the cow who gave birth. The calves don't have names unless DH wants to keep a good-looking heifer, as he did a couple years ago with April Fool (you can guess when she was born!) and Vicky. He doesn't name beefers. One bull--Mr. Kool.

Gosh, Josie, the temps for southern California look steamy. Is this a bit early for it to get so warm? Still dipping down into the 20s at night here.

Any of you interested in Cathe's roadtrips? Have any of you ever gone to one of these?

Hi Ladies:
Deb: Hooray for you! 24 pds,thats great.Only 6 to go,I wish I could say that.I have about 22pds to go.I'd like to be at 130pds.No workout today but I slept pretty good.No nausea:)
Josie:I think I told you before I have relatives in California.Brother and his family leave at Huntington Beach and my parents live in Westminister.They love it there. I do have a spinner but I haven;t used it in awhile.I get bored spinning by myself.
Garance:It was only 50 today.It was freezing when I left work this morning(20's).I'm not planning to go Cathe's roadtrip,no money this year.I'd love to go someday though.
Well I'm going to lie down for abit before work.Have a great night ladies.~Linny~

Good Morning,

I did an I-Tread and the Abs from the Christie Taylor Get up and Dance DVD.. I like those a lot.. don;t like the dance part but the abs are pretty original and not the usual crunch mania.

It is supposed to getting warmer here... we shall see!

Josie:
Hope you got to do the spinning class yesterday..that is one thing I have never tried. I have a stationery bike but never did feel like using it. How are the little peanuts?

Garance:
So DH sells the calves eventually? or waits until they are adults then sells or uses for food? Do you use their milk from the cows? I have never gone to a road trip. Not sure if I could keep up! There is a lot of step, which I don;t do. Are you thinking about going? How far would it be for you to drive? I'd like to try that Get Ripped DVD..maybe I will order it or find it on Ebay. I was telling myself no more excercise stuff until STS because of all the equipment I may be buying for that.

Linny:
Yeah..no nausea:) maybe your body is adjusting to this schedule. For some reason I think spinning would be boring too, but that sounds dumb! Why would I think that spinning is boring when I am on the treadmill by myself 3 times a week? Are you still doing WW?

Have a great day!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie--

This morning I did Leslie's Walk Slim 4 miles fast and firm. This is the one where you cannot do just the audio, so I think of it as working out with Carmela Soprano on speed. The music is good, though, so I try to tune her out.

Deb, my DH raises grass-fed beef and sells it by the side to local people. They are 2-2 1/2 years old when they are slaughtered, and it is done right here on the farm--no traumatic shipping or feedlots. No grain with all the antibiotics and other chemicals, just his hay. It's REALLY tasty. Some poeple with big families buy a whole cow. He takes it up to a butcher in Vermont, and people get to decide how they want it cut up. The calves being born now will stay with their moms until they are about 9 months old. He weans them then (a lot of bawling at the time) and separates them into their own pasture. He also raises pigs, but has the piglets brought in from Pennsylvania. Once again, really delicious and makes the pork you buy in the grocery stores taste blah!

Did you watch DWTS last night?? I'm not sorry to see Presley go.

Linny, I was mentioning to a friend who is an ob-gyn your hives, and she asked if you were going through menopause. She said some women, instead of getting hot flashes, get hives. Pretty rare, but sometimes HRT helps.

Tonight another dinner out with outside reviewers of our Women's and Gender Studies Program.

ttfn

Hi Ladies:
Deb: Hope we get that warm weather they keep talking about.Was in the 50's today.Sitting here drinking my green tea trying to wake up before I leave for work.I'm still doing WW,though not as faithful as first 2 weeks. I need to go to bed right when I get home,lately I've been hungry and started eating before I go to bedx(
Garance:Hope you had fun out to dinner.Actually my alllergist said he thought it was menapausal related but told me to take zyrtec and randatine,which helped some of the symptoms.No one suggested HRT,I'll pass it along to my OB/GYN and see what she thinks.Thanks for the tip.I haven't been taking anything right now because it seemed like I couldn't lose weight and I thought it was the med.
Well its off to work I go~Linny~

Good morning!

Today I did Shoulders, Triceps, & Biceps from the Pyramid Upper Body workout. I did all sets for these parts. I think I will do this for a few weeks after I get back from training in Memphis, the week after next. While I am away, I hope you continue to post. I will start the thread on Sunday. I'll be leaving Monday morning and won;t be back until Friday evening.

Garance:
What you described about having the cows slaughtered etc is probably why I am not on a farm! Not sure if I could do that. Don't get me wrong, I love a good steak, just don't know if I could raise them first. I have the results show of DWTS taped to watch later. I heard that Prisilla was voted off. I thought it would be her or Marley.

Linny:
Maybe the hives are more meno than allergy...that would be great to actually find a cause and be able to treat it for some relief. I can imagine how tired you are when you get home..Does sleeping during the day bother you? The light and summer noises used to keep me awake when I worked that shift. ( and my Dad playing the piano didn;t help either! LOl:) ..Are you doing the point system with WW?

Hi to Josie!

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb, Linny, and Josie--

This morning I did Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt (45 min.). Very deceptive on the arms and shoulders. It seems like it should be easy with 3 lb. weights, but I find it excruciating about midway through.

It is now 70 degrees and it feels just great. Hope you're getting some of this, Linny.

Oh, I thought the slaughters would be terrible, too, Deb, but by the time they are that old, they are no longer cute and it's just one clean shot to the head and down. It's really much more humane than sending them to a slaughterhouse in a packed truck, and then having them herded through holding pens. The rest I suppose is kind of gruesome--skinning and disemboweling while suspended from a bucket loader on a tractor, but I don't watch this.

I thought you were on prednisone, Linny, and that's why you gained weight. If HRT would help, you can get low dose estrogen. It was a real lifesaver for me with hot flashes when I was having them, and I didn't gain any weight from loestrin, either.

Another big afternoon teaching.

Hi Ladies:
Had quite the busy night last night.They had 5 admissions on the 3-11 shift so there was alot of paperwork to finish up.Also had a patient that had IV antibiotic every 2-3hrs.So I was in and out of her room all night.I told her I should just spend the night in her room.She laughed and moved over in her bed to make room for me.I like to joke around with the patients,they need to laugh once in awhile.
Deb:We'll miss youwhile you're in Memphis.We'll be sure to holddown the fort till you get back. I like Pyramid series,I usually do one body part from that and a step dvd for cardio.So far I haven't had a problem falling asleep when I get home. the first few hours I die when I hit the pillow then its a on and off kinda sleep.I have special room darkening shades and insulated curtains to darken my room.They help alot.I have not been very good this week with WW.I do try to plug in my points daily,but some days I miss.
Garance:Did you have 70's today? I'm not sure what it was around here.I didn't get to bed till 9:30 then was up at 4:00,so I didn't see outdoors.Sounds like you'll be having some muscle soreness tomorrow from your Ellen Barrett dvd.I don't think I've ever heard of her. I was taking prednisone for a short time and did gain weight.But even after stopping it I couldn't lose so I stopped the zyrtec and randatine.I'm slowly losing now.I was going to call my OB/GYn and she what she thinks about HRT. I just get really concerned of cancer risks.~Linny~

Good Morning!

I did a 40 minute I-Tread this morning. It was gorgeous here yesterday! I hope the weather holds out for the weekend. Our dog club has an agility trial this weekend, I am working it on Saturday. I would like to get some yard work done this weekend as well.

Garance:
Do you get your workouts all from Collage? just preview and order? This one sounds like a total body endurance workout..there must be a lot of reps. The whole slaughter thing kind of bothers me, but I think you are right on it being more humane than the normal kind. Most people forget that those nice white packages of meat had to come from a live cow at one time! Nice to hear you had good weather too. I watched the results of DWTS last night.. yes it was time for Pricilla to go. Next should be Marley.

Linny:
I always say that there is a special place in heaven for health care providers!:) It is definitely a calling. It sounds like the WW is a good plan for you. Let us know what the DR says about HRT. I was pretty lucky with very minimal menopausal symtoms. I do have Osteopenia ( pre-cursor to Osteoporosis), and take Fosamax. DR never suggested HRT and I was kind of glad. I too am concerned about long term effects. Smart of you to have those room darkening shades!

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb and Linny and Josie--

This morning I did the 50 min. Walk Slim with Leslie, audio only. There are 5 2 min. intervals of what she calls "boosted walking"--more of a gentle jog with some kicks.

Ellen Barrett is more of a Pilates series of moves with 3-lb. weights. I bought it from Collage after reading the reviews and looking at the little preview. I agree, though, it's definitely endurance. I have some DOMS today in triceps and shoulders.

We're going to miss you, Deb, on your trip, but as Linny says, we'll hold down the fortress here. I have an all-day mini-Oxford conference next Saturday at Smith College in Northampton. I'm trying to decide whether to stay over night--it's about a 75-min. drive.

Linny--sounds like you enjoy your work despite the odd hours. I'm so sorry if you missed the weather yesterday. It was really beautiful here, and today is even warmer. Supposed to go up to 80 degrees.

I had to do HRT. My hot flashes and night sweats were soaking wet. I never could have made it, I'm sure--unless I secluded myself for a couple years. When things calmed down, I just gradually weaned myself from the Loestrin.

Mary had a calf yesterday. Now there's three. What beautiful weather for being born these calves have had. Some years it has been brutally cold or snowing.

Carpe diem, ladies!

Hi Ladies:
Deb:So happy its friday.I actually got outside today for about 20 minutes,helped DH move a small tree from in front of house.It was about 70 here.I felt like a vampire going out in the sun though.Too bad you have to work tomorrow.I with you on getting out there and doing some yardwork.My so called flower garden look like something from the Addams Family.
Garance:I got Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim today.I'm planning on reviewing or doing it this weekend. I got to work out today, yah! Did Stepblast and triceps,feels good.Did you get 80's today? I heard it was suppose to get a little cooler this weekend. My DH's GS is suppose to have a small birthday party sunday,but if its outside I can't go unless its in the 60's.Anything lower than that I usually breakout in the hives. When you were on the Loestrin did you have monthly periods? I might even go with HRT for summer months just to be able to go into water longer.Last year even with all the meds I was on I could only do quick ski run then hurry back to shore and warm self in blankets.
Hi Josie:Hope you're still being careful running.
I'll be checking in this weekend~Linny~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.