Running rotation suggestions

cocob1

Cathlete
If anyone could help me with a Running/Cathe rotation I would be so grateful.

Right now I run 3 miles 3 times a week and I have a goal of running 6 miles 3 times a week by the end of August.

I do one steady run, one run with a hill included and one run of (I call them up and downs) warm up then 1min walk 1min run easy 1 min run all out X8 times and then run to cool down. I also add Cathe abs from Ab Hits and stretches with my runs. I have the luxury of running around the Lakes here in Minneapolis. Sometimes I run on the dirt path and sometimes the asphalt running path but never on sidewalks.

The other 3 days I've been doing 1day upper body 1 day lower body and one day Circut (all Cathe workouts).

My question is, should I just do Circut work 3 days a week and then run or is it ok to do heavy weights while I increase my milage?

Am I doing enough cross training with Cathe step work? I only can workout 65 to 70 min a day. I work part time and have a 10 year old son.

What are other Running Cathites doing? Is this a good plan?

(FYI I'm 53 soon to be 54 in August and I am very careful not to over train, I don't have time for injuries.:)

Colleen aka Coco

Hi, I saw some interesting information on runnersworld.com. They had some rotations and it looked like a lot of information that could help you incorporate cathe workouts with your runs.;-)

Hi,

I have to commend you on your determination on keeping fit. Most of my friends ask how I keep looking so young. My answer is my kids because I have to keep up with them. Youngest now being 12. Oldest is going on 22.

You seem to have a pretty good workout schedule as is. 3 circuit days and running in between or run lighter on days with weight work.
Staying clear of sidewalks is a good idea too. I run most of my workouts on trails. There's running, jumping rocks and climbing involved. Seeing wild life is a plus.

I have recently read a book with loads of workout information geared towards runners. "The Complete Book of Running for Women" by Claire Kowalchik. It has recomendations for adding in weights and increasing mileage. I don't think adding mileage and heavey weight work at the same time is a good idea. You don't want to get over trained and exhausted. (Learned this the hard way)

I tend to run 3-12 miles on different days during the week. Lower miles with weight work for upper strength. And longer miles for endurance training. Hills give you a great workout for your lower half so I wouldn't do lower legs on that day. Add a stretch routine or yoga after most workouts to keep flexible.

Checking out Runnersworld on-line would be helpful . They also have schedules for getting ready for running or racing.

Happy Trails to you.

Hi Fit Fanatic and Heidi,

I'll check out the Runners World rotations and I'm looking forward to reading "The Complete Book of Running for Women". It sounds very good.

The running mags I've checked out only talk about cross training as doing biking, swiming and other non impact cardio on the non running days but nothing about weight training.

I have to use the non running days to get my weight work in. Since I only have about 60 to 70 min or so to get it all in I've been having a hard time figuring out what is the best type of rotation.

I feel like I'm not running enough or I'm not getting enough weight work. As you said Heidi, when I do heavy weights and run I get exhausted.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.