Fitness Freak

lulu68

Cathlete
Hi,

On the military presses I'm only able to complet 8 reps and resting 2-3 minutes in between sets. Is that enough reps to add muscle or should I lower the weights and add for more reps? Thanks Debbie!

Lourdes

Anything from 5-8 reps will add muscle. Try to keep your rests to around 1 min. 30 seconds. 2-3 minutes is too long.

I think we should keep one thread going with your questions instead of making new threads each time. We are clogging up this rotation forum.

Just keep asking your questions here and I'll respond when I see a new post, ok?

Yes, I definitely do. After my shoulder work I do at least 3 sets of barbell shrugs. I go really heavy, like 125#. You don't have to go that high and some women don't like their traps built too big. I personally find it sexy so I work mine as hard as I can.

Do you also stick to 12 reps for shrugs or do you go with more reps? Also do you do low fat cottage cheese or non fat cottage cheese? Thanks Debbie.

Lourdes

Depends on what rotation I'm doing. I like doing high reps with shrugs, somewhere between 12 and 15. This week, going as heavy as I did, I could only do about 10 reps.

I buy fat free cottage cheese.

Good morning DEbbie

Today I did leg workout. You know, I just don't feel like I'm getting much of a burn. I know I could go heavier in weights, I just cant get the bar over my head. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lourdes

You need to find something to hold the bar so you can get underneath it and lift heavier. Not sure what to tell you here. I use the arms of my Power Tower and before I had that I used the arms on my bench.

If you can't do anything like that, I guess you'll just have to do more reps.

Hi Debbie,

I was wondering if you could give me a sample diet base on my weight and age. As you you already know I'm trying to add more muscle mass and have more defintion.

I'm 5ft tall weigh about 105, and I will be turning 40 in 3 weeks.

Heres my tipically diet.

2-230am- a piece of toast with jelly and peunut butter (cup of coffee)

6:00a.m Imideatelly after my workout: 6 eggs whites with bell pepers and spinash (cup of coffee)

9am- cottage cheese with jam and a few slices of banananas

12pm- tuna, or kashi go lean cereal with nuts and bananas

2pm- a peice of fruit

4-4;30(dinner) lean meat with veggies

7pm- a cup of cereal with skim milk, or cottage cheese with jam or just a pice of fruit apple,banana, orange, strawberries, grapes etc..

What do you think?

Wow, do you really get up at 2:30 every day? I hope you are at least getting a full 8 hours of sleep. That is very important for fitness goals.

For the meal after your workout you should drink a protein shake. Add some frozen strawberries or banana's to it. No fat with this meal. You should also have a protein shake about a half hour before your workout (if it's weight training).

Instead of jam with your cottage cheese, try adding some low fat yogurt with it or a scoop of protein powder. BSN Lean Desert makes some awesome flavors that taste absolutely fantastic. It's really good and you'll get double to protein. Jam is sugar and you want to avoid that.

At noon stick with tuna, turkey, chicken or eggs. No kashi. Have some nuts too.

With your 2 p.m fruit, you need a protein as well. Try either tuna, chicken, turkey or buy some protein pudding. It's good stuff and you can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe. It's called Pro Pudding.

4:30 meal looks good.

7 pm meal looks good too, but try to keep your carbs low here. No cereal. Stick with the cottage cheese and yogurt or try a protein pancake. I can give you recipes if you are interested.

Do you have any idea how many calories a day you are eating? What are your macros with fat, carbs protein? Do you ever eat oats?

I know how important 8 hours of sleep is. I have five boy's and run and open my daycare very early in the morning, so its imporant I get up early to get everything done before I start my day. I have nevery been someone to count calories I just base on what I want to achieve. I just try to eat healthy during the week. No I hardly ever have oats. Yes please I would love to have some recepies. Most of the time I eat Kashi go lean cereal because I don't have time to cook. I spoil my kids and cook different foods for each individally and by the time I get to me I don't want to cook anymore. Thats one of the reasons I eat Kashi go lean its simple. Thanks Debbie!

Lourdes

I totally understand. Sometimes I don't have time to pee. LOL! Kudos to you for doing so much. I know what you mean about the cooking. It gets old fast...

Hi Debbie,

I have a few more questions. Is it ok when doing weight training to weight train more than 45 minutes. When doing lower workouts legs, hips, thighs, inner etc... I find that I need more than 45 minutes. Also for my lunch when having tuna could I have it with some bread like a sandwish or just alone with a spoon? Thanks.

Lourdes

Yes, you can go over 45 minutes. Many of my workouts go 1 hr. 10 min. but I try not to go that long. I try to keep at an hour max.

About your tuna, depends on how many carbs you've eaten that day. If you need to cut out carbs somewhere, I wouldn't eat the tuna with bread. If you are ok with your carb intake, then have a slice of bread.

Debbie,

How would I go about figuring out how many colories I should be eating to trim out but still be able to add muscle mass and defintion? Im about 5ft weigh between 105-107, and I'm 40 years old. I don't own a scale this is what I was told I weigh last time I went to my doctor about 3 months ago. Thanks Debbie.

Lourdes

Hello Debbie,

I had a question about your leg workouts. When doing your leg presses (step ups) do you do 3 sets one leg at a time or do you alternate legs? I'm so tired today. Today the first time in 13 years I went for a run outdoors (11 mile run!) I wokie up feeling sad and emotional. Today is my brothers 1 year death anniversary, he was only 45. The run felt great! Thanks Debbie.

Lourdes

You do set with one leg, then do the other leg - rest. Start again, do one leg, then do the other leg - rest. And repeat one more time.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. How the heck did you run for 11 miles if you haven't done so for 13 years? Wow!

Thanks Debbie! Oh, I've done it before just not outdoors. Every once in a while on Saturday, or a holiday when I don't have to open my daycare I'll get on my treadmill and just go for it doing interveral runs. Its just that the last time I ran outdoors was 13 years ago, out of pure fear to all those crazy weirdos outthere, and not to mention I'm scare to death of dogs. Thanks Debbie.

Lourdes

Good morning Debbie,

What protein shake do you recomend I buy? Is it absolutely necesary to drink a protein shake to build muscle? Can I just use reall food, like egg whites? Have a great weekend!

Lourdes

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.