Zumba 101?

Gobias

Cathlete
I realize I am way behind the times on this, but I have never done Zumba and wanted any recommendations of how to begin. Any DVDs or YouTube videos or specific instructors? Due to the current lockdown, there are several pop-up-zumba sessions outdoors; I went and as soon as the music started, everyone just KNEW what to do from the get go! I couldn't follow along at all and am in awe of how everyone just knew what to do despite it being a new class!

To me, it was like showing up for a step class and everyone just knew what to do...no build up needed. Thanks.

Zumba is a registered trademark so any instructor offering live Zumba classes should be following the Zumba training and therefore the foundation steps should be consistent across classes.

It is best to start with one of the Zumba programs that includes a few different workouts. Try Amazon or Ebay. These tend to have a basic introductory class included where you can learn the steps as well as longer dance workouts where you can sometimes select a learning option that breaks down some of the harder steps. Some of them come with toning sticks and other accessories.

I started with the Zumba Fitness Total Body Transformation System which included toning sticks, then tried Zumba Exhilirate Body Shaping System and then Zumba Incredible Results which uses a small step platform. I didn't get the proper Zumba Riser step, instead I use the platform from my high step which works well.

I also managed to pick up some Zumba ZIn instructor training DVDs that have dance choreography for different songs that instructors can learn and then teach to their classes. These all have the same basic steps that I learnt in the programs as the foundation.

One thing to point out, if you are doing Zumba on carpet you may want to invest in some carpet gliders that fit over your shoes. This allows you to do pivot moves, twists, etc without your feet sticking and possibly resulting in a knee injury.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Zumba is a registered trademark so any instructor offering live Zumba classes should be following the Zumba training and therefore the foundation steps should be consistent across classes.

It is best to start with one of the Zumba programs that includes a few different workouts. Try Amazon or Ebay. These tend to have a basic introductory class included where you can learn the steps as well as longer dance workouts where you can sometimes select a learning option that breaks down some of the harder steps. Some of them come with toning sticks and other accessories.

I started with the Zumba Fitness Total Body Transformation System which included toning sticks, then tried Zumba Exhilirate Body Shaping System and then Zumba Incredible Results which uses a small step platform. I didn't get the proper Zumba Riser step, instead I use the platform from my high step which works well.

I also managed to pick up some Zumba ZIn instructor training DVDs that have dance choreography for different songs that instructors can learn and then teach to their classes. These all have the same basic steps that I learnt in the programs as the foundation.

One thing to point out, if you are doing Zumba on carpet you may want to invest in some carpet gliders that fit over your shoes. This allows you to do pivot moves, twists, etc without your feet sticking and possibly resulting in a knee injury.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thank You! I will check all of this out. Also, I had never heard of carpet gliders for shoes - I definitely want to get those. Is there a specific brand/line you like?

I bought the Zumba branded ones, they were the only ones I could get at a reasonable price when I bought them a few years ago. I live in New Zealand so often have limited options compared to other countries. There is another brand Z Gliderz that include a heel strap which would be worth looking into. Mine don't have a heel strap and they tend to slip off my shoes a bit and I have to keep readjusting them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.