Oh Well.....

wonderwoman

Cathlete
I think the time has come that I have to stop working out as far as cardio/weights are concerned and start doing some prenatal yoga. I'm almost 19 weeks along. Everyday this week when I'm done in the gym my lower back starts to hurt something awful to the point that I have to stop what I'm doing and just sit. It doesnt hurt while I'm working out but begins when I'm on my way home. So if I work out then go home (I go to the gym at work) I cant do anything else so that if I have errands to run I cant because of my back.

I've decided not to work out today and see how I feel because I have to go to the mall after work.

What do you guys think?

Hi!

I'm no expert, but I think that you should probably talk to your doctor and see if it is okay to continue working out before you do anything. If you get medical clearance and you really would like to continue with a cardio and strength training program during your pregnancy (which are great if you can), you should book an appointment with a personal trainer who will help you address the back issue by modifying your program.

You have to listen to your body and your doctor. I wish I would have been more into fitness before and during my pregancies - it would have helped me get back into shape faster afterwards. (I was over 200 pounds with both my girls - yikes!) Luckily I had really easy pregnancies and deliveries (no drugs - my second was born at home.), but it sure was tiring to be carrying that extra weight on top of caring for a little one.

Whatever you choose to do, remember that it is all about the outcome - a healthy baby.

Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy!
Corrie

I would suggest a good, regular visit to the chiropractor.

My lower back has been a pain (pun intended!) since my first pregnancy. It's something that's hard to deal with daily, but I know that that pain is there regardless of whether or not I'm working out. I truly feel that working out helps with my range of motion. I'm 17weeks right now, and my fun over the last few days has been sciatica down both legs and in my sacrum.

Are you able to get a good lower back stretch in several times a day? That always helps me, along with my regular adjustments.

If I were you, I wouldn't give up. Just moderate where you need to. And most importantly, stretch that area thoroughly after you finish working out. You'll still have pain, likely. But stretching will help.

Thank you all for your responses. I have my monthly appt this monday and will be talking to my doctor about it. The pain is actually not my lower back but almost like inside near my butt bone it's kind of hard to describe. Someone else said it may be my sciatic nerve (correct spelling). I didnt work out yesterday and I didnt get the pain. However, I had slight discomfort while walking around in the mall.

This time around my belly is really low so maybe that has something to do with it???
I dont know but I can only imagine how it will be as I get futher along.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.