Handy Tips for First Timers - 2010 version!

jodijodi

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

Here it is again, jodijodi's thread where we post handy tips for first-time (or even seasoned) Road Trippers. If you've got any advice, post it here!

I will start with my usual tips:

- There is a Kmart right next door to the hotels, in easy walking distance. Keep this in mind when packing, because if you need any last minute items, they are just a few steps away. And no need to panic if you forget something.

- The hotel has small travel size shampoo and conditioner in the bathrooms, which are the perfect size to tote along to the gym. In past years they were Pantene brand.

- Bring Sharpies to use for Cathe and crew to autograph with, and don't forget to use them to put your name on your stuff, including your camera, and any goodies that we might get when we register. All of those RT tshirts are going to look exactly alike, and you'll want to know which one is yours! (I was VERY happy I did this in 2007 when I left something behind, but it was easily located with my name on it.)

Hope these are helpful...I will post more if I think of any!

Last edited:
Some other ideas. Bring quarters for the lockers. Towelettes or baby wipes to freshen up between workouts without showering. Sweat towel for workouts. Bath towel for showering at gym. You can rent a towel at the gym for $2.00 or a hand towel for $1.00.

If you want a DVD signed, just bring the paper insert from the case(in a folder or something so it stays flat) and not the whole DVD. That way you don't risk losing or damaging the DVD and it takes less packing space.

Oh and if you want to carb load on Friday, there is a Friendly's within walking distance from the hotels. Yummy.

Relax and have fun! Truly, all of your nerves and jitters about being there on your own and completely out of your element will disappear completely as soon as you hit the hotel lobby and start running into people you instantly know are there for the RT. And if that doesn't do it, as soon as Cathe runs into the gym and starts making you "work work" you'll be so busy having fun you won't remember to be nervous!

This isn't specifically a newbie tip, but something that was suggested by experienced people and I saw happening at my first trip last year. The gym is full with excited and pumped up people, and the energy is electric. And everyone wants to be near Cathe! The suggestion was made that once you have a chance to be close to Cathe as she teaches, you move a bit further away for the next class to give other people a chance.

I was so impressed when I saw this happening, and appreciated the selflessness of those people who moved aside to give others a chance. I took it to heart, as well, and had just as much fun at the back of the class as I did at the front :)

A few things I found helpful in years past:

Bring a sweatshirt. The gym can get down right chilly if you are sweaty underneath the big fans.

Put ice in your water bottle at the hotel. There's limited ice at the gym.

A few things I found helpful in years past:

Bring a sweatshirt. The gym can get down right chilly if you are sweaty underneath the big fans.

Put ice in your water bottle at the hotel. There's limited ice at the gym.

Great tip, Melissa. Those Big Ass Fans (seriously, for those of you who think I'm using my own verbiage) are crazy powerful! I got really cold in there.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.