Anyone tried Core Secrets?

LauraMax

Cathlete
I'm looking for more core workouts that include the stability ball. Jeez they're hard to find.

Anyway, Core Secrets is one, Collage calls it advanced (although I don't always trust Collage's reviews). What do you guys think?

When I quit working with a personal trainer, the first piece of home equiptment I purchased was a stability ball. I bought this package deal that came with several Core Secrets videos and the ball. I've hardly ever used the videos. Gunner Peterson and Brook what's her name just don't do anything for me. The workouts aren't bad, they're just not great. I think they would help add some variety to your workout, just don't be expecting something of the quality and motivational factor that Cathe DVD's provide.

Michele :)

I use some of his ab and lower body exercises in my Pilates on the Ball class, but I do the exercises a LOT slower than he does.
Just Do It! :)

Aw crap. Maybe I'll try the Gin Miller one. I just hate spending money on stuff I'll never use.

Problem is, nothing gives me the burn like Core Max. x(

Laura, I think you'll get a burn with Core Secrets. I just hink you'll be bored with Gunner Peterson and that Brook lady. They just don't exude tons of personality.

Michele

Laura,

My brother bought these workouts but I haven't yet tried them out. He has heard rave reviews from clients but admits that most of them are not advanced exercisers. I think he just wants to watch that brooke gal in tight pants ;)

I am going to try these out on my next trip to NJ and if/when I see you, you are welcome to give them a try or preview them.

Laura, do you have Cathe's Ab Hits? Maybe you can try modifying some of these by doing the workouts on the stability ball?

I was interested to read the reviews here; I've looked at Core Secrets, too, but like you, tend to be disappointed with non-Cathe workouts....

Marie

Yeah I've tried ab hits--I think I still have it gathering dust somewhere LOL. Thing is, I've been training abs w/heavy weights at the gym for about 10 years now. So doing any kind of core work without weights just isn't challenging. I used to do the weighted ab workout twice a week, now I've switched to once a week & I reserve one day for core work only, be it pilates, Core Max or whatever.

But the only two core workouts that really "do it" for me are Core Max & the MTV Pilates Mix. Everything else has been totally disappointing. I still try to vary the 15 or so pilates DVDs I have, but I feel like I'm wasting my time & money.

I really enjoy some of the Core Secrets workouts. They are very "functional fitness" centered. I like to mix these types of workouts into my rotation, and use them on "recovery" weeks.

The first set has a couple of more advanced workouts, but I always end up adding more reps (while Gunnar is setting up the moves).

The most recent Core Secrets (there have been three sets so far) are a bit more advanced. I have "Head to toe: extended version" and like it a lot.

But for a really challening ball workout, I'd get TLT "Finding Your Core" with Susan Harris. Or Fitball (?) Upperbody challenge and lower body challenge. They use light weights, but they are very effective. Also TLP's "Core Foundations"(which has some very advanced ball core work, like variations on planks and pikes).

Perhaps what you need to do is try a new exercise/sport? How about doing head stands, head stands are all about core strength. Any tumbling moves use the core as does swimming. Advanced yoga moves use the core. Ice skating is a great workout not only for the core but for your legs/butt. Ballet will tone you up too, consider taking lessons. Instead of looking to do more crunches, try a new exercise that works the entire core. We need to keep challenging our bodies with new and different activities.

It's like the body builder...he may have gigantic muscles but I bet he can't do a cartwheel. You don't gain total body fitness if you stick to one type of exercise.

Do not like them. They are certainly not "advanced". Actually, they are pretty easy if you are used to Cathe. The ab sections are not even good...most of the workouts are easy full-body exercises with light weights.

Jenni

>But the only two core workouts that really "do it" for me are
>Core Max & the MTV Pilates Mix. Everything else has been
>totally disappointing. I still try to vary the 15 or so
>pilates DVDs I have, but I feel like I'm wasting my time &
>money.

Laura,

That's how I feel too! I bought, tried and returned Core Secrets. I even have to do the MTV pilates abs twice (both sections) to feel anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with that one. Core Max is the only workout that is really given me definition in my abs. I bought these Jolie toe weights that I use for all ab work now. Sometimes I'll do ME and MM abs back to back for something different, but still Cathe. Or CTX 3 sections in a row.

I can't wait for the new Butts and Gutts DVD! I'm sure that will do the trick!}(

Good luck!

Dallas

I have the Full Body Challenge and Ab Assault Core Secrets DVDS and I really like them. They are way easier than Cathe though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.