Workout length and weight training questions

horselady21

Cathlete
HI! I joined On Demand about a month ago. Before that , I was a YMCA member. I did the Step Up class twice a week (absolutely brutal class, led by a 57 year old drill sergeant!) , and Zumba once a week. It was TOUGH, but I always went the full hour.

Now, at home, I can barely make it through a half hour of Cathe! So I have been doing that 6 days a week, plus STS 3 times. I fly through the weight training. I have increased my weights 3 times since I started, and although my muscles are burning a bit, I never sweat or get a heart rate increase.

So I guess my question is, are the shorter workouts more often giving me the same benefits as 3 all out killer sessions?

Were you lifting while doing the 3 days of cardio?

just from reading your post, it sounds to me like you are expecting a lot from your body. I'm not sure how intense the step classes were at the Y compared to Cathe's workouts. Speaking from experience, I have taken step classes at the gym that I thought were insane...and then I met Cathe lol. Her workouts are geared toward the more advanced exerciser, and I feel like a lot of the classes at the gym aren't so advanced. Also, STS is a crazy intense workout. Even if you're not sweating, your muscles are working hardcore. Personally, whenever I do STS I only do 2-3 days of cardio on off days because my muscles and body overall are so fatigued. I think the 6 days a week of cardio (even though it's only 30 min) plus 3 days of STS is tiring you out. Would you be willing to try 30-45 min of cardio 2-3x a week and gradually increase to 60 min? The only thing I could see being a negative with not getting in a full 45-60 min cardio session is your heart rate is most likely not getting to its max unless it's a HIIT.

Thank you for your response!

The step classes at the y were incredibly intense! So much that I could only do half of the jumping Jack's, never did some of the other high impact (like 60 seconds of mountain climbers,etc). We did take a break between songs, only long enough for a drink of water. At the end of the class, I was completely done for!

Cathe' s workouts are just as hard, but I can't go longer than 30 min, and at the end, I am breathless, shaking and soaked. Not as bad as after y class, but still feel like I have nothing left.

The sts , on the other hand, I could go on forever. I did increase my weights yesterday, and for the first time, I felt my muscles get sore. I am thinking now that I have more muscle to spare than air in my lungs!

I am afraid that if I lower my step height, than I won't get the same benefits that I do with 30 hard minutes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.