Winter Workout Wear Fabrics

gvaughn

Cathlete
Just a crazy random question. Perhaps somebody out there knows the answer.

I'm looking at getting some more clothes for winter workouts (walking, snowshoeing, etc.). Is there any negligible difference between Dryline and Drylete fabrics? How truly warm are they anyway?

If anybody knows the answer, I will be much grateful. Thanks!

:) Gretchen

Aren't Dryline & Drylete just different brands that do the same thing? I love wicking fabrics. Use Dryline tights over my cycling shorts & I'm quite comfortable inspite of lots of sweat. I often wear REI's long sleeved thermal tops when walking/hiking/running. In So Cal, they are all I need, though they're a great layer under a windbreaker or fleece. I'll spare you the details on my wicking underwear & socks.

I did use Dryline as a base layer when I did winter hiking in Seattle & nordic skiing. The fabrics do get damp from sweat, but you will stay warm because it moves the moisture away from the skin. The key is to find the right level of layering for your climate & the activity you're doing.

REI has some great values along w/ high performance choices. The extra dollars usually buy better fit & finish work. Title Nine has some tempting choices. And I just got a new catalog from Athleta w/ some temptations that I can't justify since they're for real winter weather. Hope this helps.

Checkout Altrec.com

Gretchen,

Check out www.altrec.com, their bargain center has some tremendous deals.

Right now, if you use the promotional code "BIZRATE2000" when you are checking out, you'll get an additional 15% discount, too!

I love their gear, got 2 pairs thermal fleece pants and 2 pair of coolmax socks for the same price I'd pay for 1 pair of pants elsewhere.

Happy shopping :)

Dawn P.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-00 AT 02:07PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Gretchen,

I also think that Dryline and Drylete are just different brand names for similar fabrics. I just got some Drylete clothing from Hind (Hind is a division of Saucony). I'm wearing it now and LOVE it! The tag on it says that it can be worn in temperatures from 10 degrees F to 65 degrees. I don't know about that, but I went for a run this morning in 38 degree weather (admittedly not that cold), and all I needed over the shirt and the tights was a light nylon vest. I went to the gym after my run and did the elliptical and a BodyPump class, and I was still wearing the tights and was still very comfortable (I had removed the shirt). When I got home from my run, I knew that I had sweated some, but I didn't feel clammy or chilled, and it dried fast. So quickly, that I'm still sitting here wearing it when I really should have showered hours ago! ;-) Oh, and you might also want to try http://www.lucy.com. I got all my new duds on sale from that site.

Kristin

Sounds like a good base layer. With a shell (jacket and pants) sounds like it might work for snowshoeing. Think I'll get some. :)

:) Gretchen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.