Vivian's body fat

hongkong

Alas, I too once had an exercise "obsession". I am still in excellent shape, but am no longer obsessed.

7 percent body-fat should NOT be recommended for anyone, no matter what age, size, mix, etc. The danger of losing your period (and you WILL if you are below about 15%) is that your bones will be frail. This happens almost immediately. I have seen scans of women's bones in their 30's with the bone density equivalent of a 70 year old -- as a result of period loss.

What's more, life that revolves around "the body project" shows only too clearly how much we, at least many of us exercisers, have been manipulated by society's changing norms. Don't get me wrong -- I think exercise is important. But I find it sad, really sad, to think that most of our waking hours and sensual pleasures are all given to the demands of having the latest fashionable body.

There's a really good book called "The Body Project", written by a historian, that deals with this topic more than I can give credit to here.

I don't want to offend ANYONE. I just want to point out something that is so obvious, and so obviously holding females back from reaching their full potentials as human beings.

Absolutely

Well, I must admit that I'm a bit tired of talking about my bodyfat, or lack thereof, but I think the issue of "The Body Project", especially for women is a critical one.

Although I am not anorexic by definition (my weight hovers around 106ish @ 5'3), I have reduced my bodyfat to a dangerous level. I could detail the physical/medical symptoms resultant from my low bodyfat, and if anyone asks I will gladly do so.

I can in no way defend the level of exercise that has caused all the muscles and veins to be visible through my skin. Such exercise preoccupation is neither healthy nor admirable. I have taken it all to an extreme. Can I stop? I think so. But the results of my efforts to improve will undoubtedly be very gradual; it took me about 10 years to get this way in the first place. Can I do it without help? No. Absolutely not. You very bright and perceptive women are most responsible for pushing me to take a hard look at myself. I am grateful for your time and kindness. I am particularly indebted to KimZ, who has diligently emailed me w/encouragement, humor, and most importantly, detailed descriptions of what a balanced, healthy diet and exercise program entails.

There have been relatively recent studies re: exercise addiction. I have read several professional articles as well as a book on the subject. It is undoubtedly an issue that will become more publicized.

At this point, what concerns me most is the effect of my drive to get to the gym, to workout, workout, workout on my young daughters' sense of self. There is not a moment that passes that I don't conciously evaluate the messages that I am sending.

No, I do not know how fitness, for many women, became more about appearance than health. I look at the women in the fitness industry whom I once admired and find myself puzzled by the ridiculous amount of plastic surgery mixed in with the musculature. I have been too close(obviously) to women willing to tradeoff the best aspects of their lives for a one percent decrease in bodyfat.

The solution lies in you-- the strong, secure, healthy intelligent women who post these messages, who have taken the time to be outspoken regarding one of the most important issues our own children will face, who have forced me to take a hard look at myself, my life, my goals.

Keep talking, ladies. You're undoubtedly affecting more women than you realize. I cannot thank you enough.

Viv

beautiful

ooops. I meant to send this here.

Hi Vivian,

That was a beautiful message you wrote. I am amazed at your
inner strength and courage to open yourself to so many of us.
Surely, if you are THIS brave (and believe me, it takes a LOT of
courage to do what you have done), you can get through this
and be much happier about how you spend your time, etc...

I don't blame you for getting tired of talking about your body fat.
But you surely realize that your appeal touched a nerve in all of
us who responded -- so that it was also about OUR body-fat.

Take care and warm regards,

Laura

best of luck

Vivian,
I have been following your posts and those of others, and wanted to let you know I wish you the very best of luck . I, too, admire your courage in speaking about what is undoubtedly a deeply personal matter (and, technically, none of anyone else's business).
Thank you (and everyone else) for sharing your thoughts.
Michele

I am much more of a lurker than a participater, but really have been interested in this thread. Vivian, I also admire your candor and willingness to allow others to try and help you with your challenge. I'd also like to humbly share an idea or two if you don't mind.

I think all who come to this website are interested in maintaining healthy lifestyles. That is a good and healthy thing, but like many other things that can be good and healthy in moderation (food, alcohol, sex, keeping up with fashion, etc), when taken to the extreme, they become addictions and thus take over our lives.

One way of dealing with this, as you have begun to do, is look outward from yourself, i.e. become less self-absorbed. This goes against the grain of a lot of our society, but the rewards are so great! I do medical mission work - just returned from war-torn Sudan and when you experience something like that, exercise, weight control, diet, etc. take on a whole new meaning. The Sudanese people want to be fat! They don't have enough to eat, they HAVE to walk everywhere they go, they are dying from what would be minor illnesses in this country, and are they are some of the nicest, happiest, most gracious people I have ever met. They think of us westerners as crazy to go for hikes for 'fun and exercise'! And so my preoccupation with 'extra' weight, muscle definition and the amount of time needed to achieve the perfect 'cut' body becomes almost preposterous when compared with the plight of 90% of the people on this planet. Again, it is the degree of preoccupation that makes the difference. We all want to look nice and maintain optimal health, but we need to figure our what is most important and prioritize from there.

We should be grateful that we have so many things to eat, so many ways to entertain ourselves, so many forms of exercise from which to choose, and the leisure time in which to do them. I believe also that when we engage in looking outward, we gain better perspective of what is good for ourselves. Enjoy your life Vivian, be thankful for your precious daughter and all the other blessings you have and we'll keep rooting for you!

Thanks to Cathe, who clearly takes time for others in her busy life as well.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Colia

EVERBODY Please read RE: Vivian's body fat post!

Colia,

I thought that I should not read one more post regarding this thread (I did anyway, of course). I truly felt that everything valuable that had to be said had been said.

I WAS SO WRONG! Thanks for bringing a little perspective into this thread. We need to realize that our situation (too much food/sedentary lifestyle-except for purposeful exercise) is actually the unusual one and stop taking our luxury for granted.

Also, I admire your courage in going to Sudan to help. I think it's wonderful.

Thanks!,

Irene

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.