"The Spark"

susieq

Cathlete
I need some advice from all you fitness buffs! I just read the latest "Fitness" magazine, and there was an article about a new book coming out called "The Spark". Has any one read the article? Some expert is saying you can do 15 10min sessions of cardio, strength and stretch a week and reap the benifit of higher metabolism. He is talking high intensity.

I normally would have thought this is not for me, give me hour long Cathe tapes or 5 mile runs. But for the next three months my workout time is going to be drasticly reduced. Does anyone have any idea if this would be OK to do to maintain my current fitness level?

I'm not looking for easy workouts, I mean I was concerned I would loose my endurance doing CTX. (I needn't have worried.)
I just am not going to be able to do my regular 1 to 1 1/2 hour workouts for a while. If this would work, It would take much stress away for a while.

Not that I am an expert on fitness, but I have been doing it for a lot of years with periods of not a lot of time.
When you don't have the time and have to shorten your workouts, you HAVE to up the intesity at least some to keep even. If you NEVER do a longer workout over months, you may loose a little endurance. But when you get back to having time, it comes back quickly.
High-intensity drills can increase endurance at a slower pace: that was the theory in track training. I trained for the mile race by doing quarter mile sprints, 8-12 per training session. I only actually ran the mile once a week and then in meets.
This method of training has been around forever, and I think it has its benefits. If you don't have the time, try this and see how it feels. Just watch out for sports injuries, don't push too hard. Also remember that if you consistently work out over the high end of your training zone, you may not be burning into your stored fat (if that is a concern for you).

I read the article and I found it very interesting. I can't remember everything but yes, I believe he was talking about high
intensity or being at the high end of your training zone. I think they did their research and the benefits and results sounded interesting. I would probably workout for 15-20 instead of 10-15. Ten minutes just doesn't seem long enough.

I don't think it would hurt to try it for 3 months especially if it is all you can do so and it would be better than nothing. If anything it might help to shock your system with something new.

I may try it myself.

Good Luck

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.