suggestions for alternate breakfast, please...

judym64

Cathlete
Hi Everyone, here's my problem: when I get up in the morning, I always skip breakfast (or eat way to late). I know how bad that is, really I do, but I am never hungry in the morning and sometimes nauseated (and NO Im not preggo!!) so I just skip it and head off to work, of course by 11;00 Im STARVING and I know I shouldnt tell you this but I even skip lunch sometimes (shame on me) then by 3:00 am ready to kill someone and end up eating junk. So, here's what Im wondering, is there some kind of protein shake or protein bar that I can use as an alternative?? I would be willing to try that, I know my body would appreciate it, I want something preferrably low carb/low fat. Thanks!!

This may not be as low carb as you'd like but it's full of vitamins and protein...what I've been doing is mixing my protein powder with a Slim Fast shake instead of just water or skim milk. It's pretty filling and the extra protein is a bonus. Plus, I pretty much think most protein powders I've tried arent all that tasty, but mixing them with a Slim Fast shake is actually pretty good. Just a suggestion.

Stacy

Stacy,

What kind of protein powder do you use? I have been tossing around the idea of maybe using a protein powder. I have heard that some don't taste very good.

Thanks!!!

Kelly

Hi,
Myoplex lite is pretty good, I'm in love w/ their Cappucino Ice flavor. The chocolate is pretty good too.

Kitkat

For the last 2 weeks I've been starting my day with a yummy chocolate soy smoothie. I buy Genisoy chocolate protein powder and make it with water and some vanilla soy milk (I find all soy milk is too rich and sweet.) I also double it up, I use 2 scoops of powder and double up the liquid, 1 cup water, 1 cup soy milk. It's so delicious and fills me up nicely without my feeling bloated or heavy.

I thank you all sooo much for your advice/input. Im printing it out and taking it to the health food store with me!! I had thought about slim fast but mixing it with protein powder is a great idea, ok, Im off to do Circuit Max!! I appreciate your help!!!judy

Sorry so late to respond to your question. I use Sci Fit Whey Protein. Each scoop has 110 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 3 grams of carbs and 22 grams of protein.

Stacy

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-01 AT 01:49PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Judy,
I don't always care for the low carb/low fat protien shakes, so I wanted to share a recipe for a good low fat somewhat low carb breakfast that you can make the night before. I stole this from the Body for Life website. It makes two servings. Taste best when warmed in microwave for a few seconds.
BREAKFAST LOAF
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together following items and then pour into Pam sprayed SMALL pan and bake for about an hour.
1 cup egg beaters(you can use egg whites instead)
1/3 cup oat bran (like Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 cup nonfat powdered milk
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 scoop protein powder (depending on how much protein you want)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 packets sweetner (I use Stevia packets - an herb)
1/8 tsp Baking Soda

This may not be what you were looking for but I really love this recipe and wanted to share it. Hopefully someone will find this usefull.
By the way I added up the calories and without the protien powder it comes in at about 190 calories for half a loaf.
Dawn W

Thanks dawn and Stacy, I printed it out, I just wanted you to know that I read your posts and appreciate your help. jm

Opps forgot the 1/8 tsp of baking soda

Hi Judy,
I just noticed I forgot to include the 1/8 tsp of baking soda. I just edited my last post to include that.
Sorry, Hope no one has tried this without it yet. I'm not sure how it would turn out without it. Alot more dense and heavier I would imagine.
Dawn W

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.