STS Total Body and High Reps in the same rotation?

workout junkie

Cathlete
Hi! I've been a longtime Cathe fan. In January, I finally got back to working out after a year+ off. I'm wanting to use some of my new (to me) workouts in a rotation. I got STS TB and High Reps last year, but only recently tried them. Have used High Reps a few times, love it. Did STS upper body last night and love it too. Short and feels effective. I was wondering if it would be counterproductive to rotate these two workouts since one is more strength focused, the other is more endurance.

Would it be better to do STS (either exclusively or with other strength workouts) for a few weeks, then High Reps for a few weeks?

To add more to the pot, I just got Trisets which I haven't tried yet. Not sure where to fit that in. Also got TurboBarre (looove!) although I've only done the lower body premix. I intend to use that weekly.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks!
Melissa

IDK about your rotation question, but I am just now using some of those same workouts. Is it my imagination, or is the Back chapter not included in the HR upper body only premix? Do you think that is on purpose?

IDK about your rotation question, but I am just now using some of those same workouts. Is it my imagination, or is the Back chapter not included in the HR upper body only premix? Do you think that is on purpose?

I haven't done that premix yet, but I remember reading that back is not included in that premix. To get a full upper body workout, I think you need to choose the Full Upper Body First premix.

Hi there,

I am doing this month's Feb rotation and Cathe has both muscle endurance & strength w/o's rotating each week. Personally, I don't think it would be counter-productive. Here is a rotation I found that utilizes both STS TB and HR:

http://cathe.com/forum/f100/dec-10-rotation-279800/

Hope this helps!

BTW, I like to change it up and do both endurance and strength. I find this way of training challenges the muscles and makes them very responsive.

Natasha

Hi there,

I am doing this month's Feb rotation and Cathe has both muscle endurance & strength w/o's rotating each week. Personally, I don't think it would be counter-productive. Here is a rotation I found that utilizes both STS TB and HR:

http://cathe.com/forum/f100/dec-10-rotation-279800/

Hope this helps!

BTW, I like to change it up and do both endurance and strength. I find this way of training challenges the muscles and makes them very responsive.

Natasha

Thank you so much for the helpful link and your input! I'm looking forward to alternating STS and High Reps. :)

I think you are supposed to wait 48 hours between full body workouts so your muscles can recover. If I do High Reps, for example, on Monday I will do a cardio only on Tuesday. Wednesday you could do STS total body. Just give your muscles a chance to rest before working them again with weights.

I think you are supposed to wait 48 hours between full body workouts so your muscles can recover. If I do High Reps, for example, on Monday I will do a cardio only on Tuesday. Wednesday you could do STS total body. Just give your muscles a chance to rest before working them again with weights.

Oh yes, I know that, thanks. I should've clarified that I meant I'd alternate them on my weight training days, every other day or two, as you suggested.

And after reading what I just typed, I'm not sure that made much sense either, lol. Hopefully you know what I was trying to say.

If it were me, I would do each one once per week or rotate among the 3 doing 2 workouts per week.

Each of the 3 are very different. STS TB is a little heavy in weights and also adds a cardio burn. HR is a lighter weight workout with a huge challenge and it works the muscles in a different way compared to the other 2. It also fries the triceps and does some nice gliding work which for me is a lot easier on the knees but I also find it hits the glutes really nicely. You'll build endurance with this one and still get a good calorie burn, but STS would build more fast twitch fibers. TriSets does both. But it also adds a balance and core challenge that the other to don't giving it more of a functional feel vs the traditional gym routine that STS TB and HR gives. When you break everything down, while they all have similarities, they are quite different and work the body very differently from each other. I like doing 2 TB workouts per week, so I'd rotate among the 3 for about a month. See what happens and then you can add or change up the routine depending on weak zones or muscles you really want to zone in on.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.