Speaking of slobs......another work rant

LauraMax, no matter how much a person dislikes another, there is no reason to do something as base as to put any person's health at danger.

That story is very scary.......

I've always been very polite to waiters because heaven only knows what happens when the kitchen is preparing my food. x(

That's awful that she's done this - sounds to me like she's a poser - pretending to be in a friendship with you only to milk it of the benefits (and boy aren't there alot of THOSE types around!). I think you're right to sever the personal connection you have with her and make your relationship only business. My hubby had a situation at work slightly like yours and I told him that we couldn't socialize with the guy and his wife anymore because he was having trouble distinguishing between the friendship and his professional position in the office. He was viewing himself as equal to my hubby even tho hubby is the manager in that department.

I agree with you that people are stupid sometimes with how they dress and what not at work, and how they behave. Just document every little thing (and in this sort of situation I recommend VERY detailed records in case some kind of internal hearing results from it), and perhaps consider discussing the matter with YOUR supervisor to see if this bad apple CAN be transferred to another unit/job, etc.

Good luck with this and as always, come back and vent to us if you feel like pulling your hair out or you just need to get the negativity off your chest. Situations like that have a tendency to suck the energy out of you - it helps to let it all out and get some encouragement.

Take care!

I am curious about something tho - if she is in violation of the dress code so much, why isn't she sent home to change? That's how it works in pretty much every office I've been in!

Wow, I don't know much about government work, but I am AMAZED at what people get away with!!! I mean, aren't you her supervisor? And she completely ignores what you are asking her to do for years and taunts you! And to top it all off, she goes after YOU???

It may not have been the best choice of words to say, she looks like a slob, but I have had much worse things said to me when I was working in the corporate world, not to mention what I get called now :)

I know when I was managing an office staff of 11, I tried to be fair and find out what's going on, but boy, when they were written up the 3rd time, they were gone!

As to the unemployment, I always thought when you were fired for cause there was a certain period that you wouldn't get any unemployment money but would get it after that period.

Amazing! I hope it works out for you and you don't have to spend more time on this nonsense! Good luck!

Gayle is right.

If you do something to get yourself fired, you cannot collect unemployment unless the hearing officer determines that the employer was wrong in firing you, and there was no adequate "cause". Gayle is also correct that you cannot quit a job and collect unemployment, unless you quit because the working conditions changed or became intolerable, in which case you are considered to be "constructively" fired.

Unemployment is for people who lose their jobs due to no cause of their own. The best thing you can do is give several warnings with specific reasons. Then go right ahead and fire her butt. She deserves it.

ETA: I'll check with my Mom to make sure the rules haven't changed.

Laura, I just received an email from my mother and I am appalled. Apparently being let go "for cause" only results in a delay of benefits, not a reduction or elimination. I remember my mother was always talking about denying benefits "for cause" but I guess I misunderstood what she was saying. I am shocked and disturbed that the law actually rewards such awful employees. x( I guess employers need to fire them before the unemployment eligibility period begins.

<sigh> That's what I thought. Now I'm certain she's trying to get fired. She wants to sit at home in her slob clothes, watch soap operas & get a free check at the expense of the taxpayers.

Actually when this is all over I'm thinking I might try to get her suspended without pay for a month. THAT would hurt. The one thing that scares me the most is that other employees think they can get away with this behavior. Can you imagine? If she can file a grievance for something this petty, we'll have grievances flying all over the place!

Edited to thank Nancy for the info. Thanks Nancy! :)

Well, you're HR, so you know the technicalities of what you need to do, but it totally stinks when you go out of your way for someone and they don't recognize or appreciate it.

She seems like one of the world's Eeyores and there's nothing that will change that. When I was complaining to my old boss about the nasties here at my office, I asked him what I was supposed to do about it. His advice was simple, but good. "Rise above. Rise above." So that's what I'm doing and it's making me much happier.

Donna, I was hoping you'd chime in on this. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm just going about my business as if none of this has happened (except I do not socialize w/her anymore). Except for the occasional vent to my boss & on here.

I just hate to be made a target b/c she thinks this will get her what she wants. I feel so used! LOL! I also hate that she's been trashing me to anyone who'll listen (although many people have actually come to me & told me how inappropriate it was & how uncomfortable she made them). I'm a little nervous about how this could affect me as a manager.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.