Recipes for no-dairy sweets

H

honeybunch

I am on a mission for non-dairy recipes for my boss's daughter. She went nuts when I made her non-dairy brownies and a loaf of bread machine bread with no milk, so I'm on a search for more recipes. I DID find some web sites with recipes.

You educated crowd with this experience.....can you substitute soy milk for cow milk in baking? It sounds like a dumb question, but you never know how stuff will behave in a recipe. How 'bout some other substitutions? I found the Squeeze Parkay Margarine is about the only one without whey.

Imagine life with no cheese on your pizza!! :-(

Deborah Madison states in "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" that one can substitute soy milk for cow milk in cooking & baking. She says to add 1 Tbls of vinegar to 1 cup soy milk to make "buttermilk." So you can make pancakes & muffins w/ soy buttermilk.

Most of the European style breads are dairy free. They do go stale much quicker so I freeze what isn't going to be eaten w/ in 24 hours.

I've never tried soy cheese but it's available. I tend to go for small amounts of really sharp cheese rather than the low fat, tasteless stuff. It's hard to imagine soy cheese being anything but bland. I do love cheeseless pizza loaded w/ roasted vegies. First had it at California Pizza Kitchen.

Have fun experimenting!
Debra

If the reason for no dairy is lactose intolerance, you can use the 100% lactose free milk which is what I do. I also use soy cheese. Some of the soy cheeses are pretty gross. Definitely stay away from the Smart Beat Lactose Free Cheese. I have found a brand that I like but I can't think of the name right now. I think it tastes pretty close to real cheese. However, I could be wrong since I haven't ate any real cheese other than Edam or Gouda in about 10 years.

I have seen several dairy free cookbooks at the library and in bookstores also.

Hope this helps!

Christina

Ok, this isn't exactly a recipe, but I can't have dairy and I LOVE Imagine Foods chocolate pudding made with rice milk. It's so yummy, it completely cures not only my sweet tooth once in a while but that chocolate craving too.

I also love Pamela's Gluten and dairy free brownie mix (except it does use one egg per recipe.) They're absolutely delicious, very chocolatey and moist with big chocolate chunks in them. I'm reasonable certain the chocolate is dairy free too. But I'd have to double check the label.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.