Ragnar Relay

elsie3

Cathlete
Has anyone run a Ragnar relay? I'll be doing one in June. I'm a complete novice, but most of my team is experienced. I'd love some advice, stories, info, etc. I'll bet there are some great stories out there.;)

Thanks muchly!

Yes - I did the Madison/Chicago race last June. Shortly after that it was incorporated into Ragnar. BEST TIME EVER!! We had so much fun. We were all women and really just out to complete the race. It was a new experience for almost all of us, two had run Hood to Coast.

Bring a massage stick. You will need it.

And I would also say don't go in with pre-concieved notions of how fast you will run or what time the team will have, just enjoy the experience and stay flexible. We had to swap some people due to injuries, we had crazy weather (super hot and humid, then thunder and ligtening), then cold, wet, windy.

The teams (as you know) are divided into two vans. My van ran hard but then we just encouraged one another and tried to keep everything fun and relaxed. The other van on our team had a different experience because a couple of the women in the van were really stressing about times, and weather, and other teams, etc. At the end of it all - you could see the other van just wanted to go home whereas my van didn't want it to end.

Good luck!

I ran the Ragnar Northwest Passage in 2007 and I had such a blast! I was nervous going in because I didn't train enough I felt, but we all did great!

Only real comment I can think of is that don't expect any real good sleep during your down time, we slept on wrestling mats in a high school gym for 2 hours...not real restful!

One thing I am REALLY proud of is that on my first leg, I had this 18 year old guy just fly by me and I tried hard to keep him in my sights at least. During the second leg, I didn't see him at all. On the third leg, which was my longest, hilliest leg, I realized that I was about to pass him on this huge hill...ME!!...I did, and I beat him and that felt awesome. It was just a quiet competition I kept to myself, everyone involved were so supportive, kind, and encouraging. It's really wonderful.

Have fun, you've got me thinking I should do it again!!

Thank you for your replies. It's great advice to just go with the experience and try to enjoy yourself. I'm fortunate to be running with some really fun people. I think it will be a blast--if I live through it!:eek: Our team number is 666, so we'll be getting a lot of mileage out of that one.

Massage stick--great thought!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.