Pic of the Day - 7-9-00

SNM Videos

Administrator
Corestrength.jpg

Cathe and Rhonda working the midsection with one of many core strength exercises that will be featured in the new videos.

"How can she top herself?"....

....I says to myself when I experienced Cathe's BodyMax. When I see these pics, I know that she had no trouble!! Can't wait to get those new videos!
happy.gif

yippee!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that core stabilization stuff. I have discovered that I am actually kinda GOOD at it! Don't ya love it when you finally find something that isn't such a struggle??
happy.gif
Maybe now we know how Rhonda chiselled those awesome abs of hers!

GREAT PHOTO!! SNM, you know how to keep us happy, don't you?? I can't WAIT for Cross Train Express!

I agree Susan P

that core stabilization is so much fun! I love finding the balance point in my body and staying there with it. Whew!

It's going to be wonderful having all this good stuff in these new videos. I can hardly sit still!

Cheers,
Kathy T

Core Stabalization???

Would someone explain or give an example of core stabalization exercises or if there is a website.
I have no clue what that is.

Thanks,
SusanR

until an expert posts

There are a variety of exercises that strengthen the core or torso of the body especially the abs, hips & lower back. Pilates & yoga moves usually focus on these parts of the body. One example is lying on your stomach, clasping your hands behind your back at waist level. You raise your head, shoulders & then arms up & hold (while breathing) & then go a little higher, & a little higher again. Raising your legs (squeezed together) makes it even more challenging. Deceptively simple looking yoga planks also strengthen the core.

This is hot stuff in all sorts of athletic pursuits (e.g. ice skaters, kickboxing & cyclists). On the VF forum, several females mentioned strengthening their torsos as key to mastering full body pushups. Many videos have stablization exercises but just don't label them.

Debra

core stabilization

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-00 AT 10:51PM (EST)</font></center>

(a.k.a. "until an expert posts, part II)

Look at that picture. THAT is a core exercise. They look deceptively simple, but in actuality it takes a LOT of effort to maintain that straight, flat line from shoulder to heel. Core stabilization exercises are exercises that require your "core muscles" (abs, back, all those that wrap around your torso) to "lock in" and support a movement. For instance, in the photo above, Cathe's abs and back have to be locked in tight to hold her in that position, and lifting one leg adds even more stress to the exercise. Try this, get into push-up position on the floor, with your hands under your shoulders and up on your toes, just like you would be for a pushup. Then just stay there. Don't go down, just stay there. Are you still there? Good. Stay a little longer. Starting to feel those muscles that wrap around your ribcage?? GREAT!! Keep staying. OH, are they SHAKING?? OH my. GOod thing. Quiver, quiver! Now lift your right leg till your toe is about 6" off the floor. Now those core muscles are not only maintaining your position, but helping you BALANCE. Soon you will collapse. Trust me. Have you collapsed yet?? No? OK, I'm patient. . . . I'll wait. . . . THERE IT WAS! Was that a BOOM I heard?? Thought so. You'll be sore tomorrow.

hehe. Core stabilization is easier to FEEL than to describe.

Miss Susan P to the rescue!!

I knew you'd come up with an explanation! I didn't know what it was either, but I guessed right. I HAVE tried that "push up" one, and it's a toughie.

Push-up Pose

Doesn't Christi Taylor do that at the end of Happy Hour Hi/Lo? I've always thought that was really tough, and yes everything starts to shake
happy.gif
!!

Oh, those HAPPY HOUR ABS!!!

Joanna, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ab section in Happy Hour!! It is my all-time fave. The way Christi combines stabilization and tradition crunches is the most effective thing I've ever done!

If you don't have the tape, Christi coaches you through LONG sets of traditional crunches and crunch variations, then rolls you over into "plank position" (the pushup post I mentioned earlier) and does some stabilization, then you roll back over and crunch a while, roll back over and stabilize a while, I think three cycles of that. YOWZA!!!!

It looks like Cathe will be incorporating both types of work (hopefully sequentially!!! --maybe separately?? --can't tell from the pictures!) in her new tapes which is AWESOME! We will all be so incredibly buff that we will have EIGHT packs. Six packs will be totally passe.

Whaddaya mean there's no such thing as an eight pack?? We'll GROW one!

I agree...

...about the abs...the part I love to dread, then I'm so proud when I'm done. The first time I did the stabilization, I was like 'what's this?' but then found them to be very difficult indeed (and helpful)!

My daughter actually noticed my abs the other day - YEAH!!!

great description

Susan P, wow! My abs were trembling just reading your description!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.