Personal question, but I really need advice...

If you are sure you don't want children, then why not get a tubal ligation? Or have him get a vasectomy. But do make sure you won't change your mind, this is permanent. They are easy procedures and you are in and out of the hospital the same day. I had a tubal ligation and it does work. No worries anymore.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

I've been on the pill for many many years and LOVE it. I didn't gain a pound when I went on it -- in fact it was right before my wedding, and I lost weight. When I went off of it (to get pregnant with my boys), I missed it because it really evened out my hormones and made my moods much more even-- if that makes sense. Also, I think it's helped with my skin. Love it.

Hi there,

I have been on the pill for 3 years and have not experienced any weight gain. My periods are also like clockwork and for me the pill has the added bonus of keeping my skin nice and clear. It made my periods lighter and less painfull too!

I am a big fan. In fact i'm scared to come off it.

IMHO people who say the pill made them gain a significant amount of weight are using it as an excuse.

Hope this helps.:)

I, too, was on the pill for 13 years and never gained weight from it.

I think that the low dose pills that are available today make a significant difference in how the body responds to them. For us, it was also 100% effective (I am now off, as we wanted to start a family).

i lost weight on the pill (and i have been on many different kinds). about two years ago, i decided to go off of it and see if i even had normal cycles. they were very normal and, while i was off bc (about a year and a half), i used the rhythm method with no problems (but i knew my cycles very well and charted). i did notice that on the pill, my skin was so clear. i don't have bad skin, but on the pill, i didn't even get one pimple! i am back on bc pills now and, again, no weight gain.

Lots of these ladies have had great luck with the pill - I thought you should know the other side. I gained 50 pounds the first month I was on the pill. I also had blinding headaches and almost continual nausea. I went off it after 2 months.

I think some of this may be genetic. My mother started taking the pill when it first came out (and I'm sure it was much stronger than it is now). One day she went completely blind for 30 minutes. Needless to say, that was the end of the pill for her. Oh, and 9 months later my little brother arrived (I was a senior in high school).

"My husband and I do not want children."

Do you mean for NOW, or forEVER? If it's FOREVER, then tell him to get a vasectomy. It's not 100% foolproof...(I think there's a tiny percentage of a chance that you can still get pregnant afterward...but it's very very very rare...). Since he's so uncomfortable with a condom, maybe he'll step up to the plate and do this. It's much easier for a guy to get "snipped" than a gal. Guys go in on Friday and they're done in 3 days...women have to be cut open and can be out for the count for 2-4 weeks.

Just my two cents! :)

Again, thank you so very much for all of your replies, experience, and feedback.

Kathryn - to address your question, I think my husband is still holding out hope for a baby. He tells me that he agrees now is not the time for us and that it's wise for us to have held off, but I'm in my mid thirties and he knows I don't want children. But, again, deep down I think he's still holding out hope as men don't have to, as much, worry about the age thing when it comes to conception.

Perhaps, as many of you have suggested, I should talk with my doctor - voicing my concerns about weight gain - and see what she has to say.

I went the vasectomy route. We had twins after a disastrous pregnancy (was triplets, lost one) Found out my wife multi-ovulates. Didn't want to play russian roulette.

The "job" was painless, a weekend in bed (yes I milked the sympathy). 6 weeks of precautions and now total spontanity.

My tubal ligation wasn't a big deal. I was in and out of the hospital in a few hours, went for a long walk the following day and was back to exercising the day after that. The biggest risk is probably the general anesthesia used.

Erica

I got pregnant with my first child while using the sponge. Thank goodness we had been married about 4 years, so not a huge deal. I also had trouble with them getting stuck.

After we had my DS over 5 years later DH had a vasectomy less than a year after DS was born.

If you're sure you don't want kids maybe a more permanent method would be a good idea.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.