Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/14/2024

Yesterday was another 8 hour shift at Home Depot and a lot of steps. I don’t work again until next Thursday so I have plenty of time to rest and get some good workouts in too. This morning I did STS 2 Upper Body 1. This afternoon I did STS 2 Foam Rolling, Upper & Lower Body.

Carolyn-Great job with XTrain Bis and Tris, rounds 1-5, and Core 1 and XTrain Cardio Leg Blast, rounds 1-6.

Cathy-Great job with your MMA Kickboxing/Boxing workout.

Diane Sue-Great job with CDorner Step #372, step hiit with weights and STS 2 mobility 2.

Valerie- I’m glad you are home. I’m looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Did anyone see the email about the Cathlete of the month? Aven Ellis is her name and her story is very inspiring. I actually saw it on Facebook, but also read the email.

Today I did STS 2.0 Mish Mosh #1 Back and Biceps, 41 minutes, 110 calories, 93/133 heart rate. I followed with CDorner Soothing Upper Body Stretch Day 28, 12 minutes, 14 calories. Not that that counts for much. This was not the workout that I meant to do. I had put the wrong mish mosh number on the work sheet that I had printed up and after starting and geting frustrated I figured out it should have been labeled Mosh Mosh #2. I would not have chose this one as doing it I prefer using the Fit Tower for some of it and this had a lot more other equipment that dumbbell work. Once Started I was not going to start over. Didn't someone here purchase the double bar contraption for the STS 2 workouts. It really seems like a person could get a lot more out of the workout IMO.

STS 2 Mish Mosh #1 37 minutes
bench 5 risers, door anchor and tubing, barbell, dumbbells, double bar or fit tower (option tubing)
warm up tubing light and 10# dbs
straight arm press down/seated rows tubing #1 I used anchor with green tubing 8 reps
straight arm press down/seated rows tubing #2 I used anchor with green tubing 8 reps
Banded dumbbell curls 5# dbs with blue tubing (long set)
kneeling on step 1 arm row R/L #1 25# db
kneeling on step 1 arm row R/L #2 25# db
kneeling alternating sweeper curls #1 (option standing) 15# dbs
kneeling alternating sweeper curls #2 (option standing) 15# dbs
double bar inverted row#1 Has fit tower option or seated tubing option I did with black tubing door anchor
double bar inverted row#2 Has fit tower option or seated tubing option I did with black tubing door anchor
single bar overhand pull up option #1 I used seated overhand grip pulldown with black tubing 8 reps
single bar overhand pull up option #2 I used seated overhand grip pulldown with black tubing 8 reps
barbell curls 35# 8 reps optional dumbbells ( I used the barbell_
barbell curls 35# 8 reps optional dumbbells
barbell curl pause I switched to the dumbbells 15's 10 reps
banded close grip pulldown #1 green and black tubing held together12 reps
banded close grip pulldown #2 green and black tubing held together12 reps
standing reverse curls #1 12# dbs 12 reps
standing reverse curls #2 12# dbs 12 reps
Cool down/abbreviated stretch

Judy, great job on STS 2 Upper Body 1, and STS 2 Foam Rolling, Upper & Lower Body. I did a little foam rolling for upper body today too. Some from STS 2 and some from CDorner. I just remember the moves. Although using a dvd helps stay with it for a certain amount of time.

Carolyn, I got the e-mail today and it was inspiring. Amazing story.

Carolyn, nice work on X Train Cardio Leg Blast rnds 1-6. I miss the longer stretches on the workouts. I remember years ago seeing women complain about too long warm ups and the extra time spent on the stretching.

Valerie, sorry that the last part of your trip was not so good. I am glad you had a nice time though.

Cathy, nice work with your mix of mma/kickboxing workout.

we did what we seldom do, stayed in an RV campground. we reserved spacewith our neighbors who have the same camper we have. we took our camper off. used our truck to commute to trailheads. DH got a lot of driving. the roads were fairly horrendous. the first part of our trip was for mt biking. we rode a little. trails went from too easy to too hard with nothing in between. camping was not good. went to a really great museum in Price, Utah. a combo of geology, dinosaurs, and native american artifacts. it was really nice! unfortunately many screaming children. my parents would have literally killed us for 1% of that racket! a worthwhile stop marred by idiots. stayed in a hotel but I ended up sleeping on the floor due to a mattress impossible to sleep on. I hate motels! drove to Blanding the next day. went thru Moab that is a gigantic teeming tourist trap. its not what we enjoy. very busy with bikes ATVs, motels, hotels shops, restaurants. I think it used to be nice. not what I enjoy now. Sedona on steroids. stayed in blanding . did multiple hikes from there to various ruins and petroglyphs. one day it snowed/hailed on and off all day. the dirt turns into sticky gloppy mud that isnt driveable. we did a short hike that same morning but walking got messy. mostly of the time was sunny and warm. after multiple places, the artifact/ruins/petroglyph goals got repetitive. went up to the top of Comb ridge one day. I have trouble with the heat. air temp was not bad but the constant intense sun and wearing full coverage clothing got hard. both of us got tired and had enough. I am allergic to something blooming but I dont know what. its dry and rocky so no clue what it is. my symptoms went away as soon as we drove north. our friends went further south to visit coyote buttes area. I would love to on another day. it was more sun. we ( DH had enough too) decided to call it a day and head back. 2 long days drive. if we do it again, I would go south first. we would like to visit the north rim of the grand canyon but its not open until mid may. maybe in fall. by the time its open, its too hot in the area we were. the truck and camper both worked perfectly.

did therapy work yesterday and a 15 mile road bike ride this morning.

Last edited:
Today was my rest day. I went to the markets and picked up some nice produce.

Diane Sue, nice job with STS Mish Mosh Back and Biceps and CDorner stretch.

Valerie, nice vacation. It sounds like a mix of good and not so good experiences.

Hello to Judy and Cathy.

The really good stuff were the ruins and the petroglyphs. we saw many old collapsed buildings, and some of them you can walk or crawl through. I dont enjoy the ones you can only view from a distance. unfortunately a lot of people dont respect the history so the best ruins end up being sealed off. most removable artifacts are removed long ago or else they would get stolen. the museums have incredible selections of baskets and pots, jewelry, decorations, old sandals, cooking implements, weapons. we went to the House on fire. this one is especially nice if the lighting is right. most buildings and grain storage facilities are built under/into cliff overhangs. the best one we went to was called moon house. it was hard to get to. the road was nasty. you are supposed to get a permit to visit there, limited to 20 people a day. the trail climbs down steeply and reaches a pour off spot. we needed a rope to get down. we left the rope and used it to get back up. some people did it without a rope but I'm not sure how. we are all old, mid 70's, and felt a rope was needed. there were a series of ruins along about a mile of overhanging cliffs. you could see all the construction with wood, stones and mud with remnants of wood roofs and ladders, old corn cobs, pottery shards, arrowheads, carved moki steps in the stone etc. lots of wall paintings and petroglyphs. we looked around there for a couple hours. petroglyphs are so cool to look at.. we saw tons of them at many different places. its amazing how similar they are with depictions of people, wildlife, hunting, ceremonies, and unexplained designs. it was 2 or so miles each way with climbing down and then back up. most of the buildings are built like fortresses to defend themselves from high ground so things must not have been peaceful. the area is dryer than it was in the past. hard to imagine how crops were grown in these areas and climate. I looked at a seed rack in a hardware store and many seeds they sell are for gourds and corn that look like fresh versions of many artifacts. there is a lot of beautiful limestone and red rock that is lovely to see. beautiful towers and hoodoos.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.