Peach Fuzz

burnmarie

Cathlete
does anyone else have an excessive amount of peach fuzz all over you face?
the last four years I have had vellus (peach fuzz hairs) get worse and worse all over my face and I cannot figure out why? Its to the point where i have to shave my entire face because it is so noticable and long (its all the way up to my eyes)!
Does anyone know what causes this? hormones out of balance? I really need to figure out how to stop or get rid of this.

I don't have any advice for you, but have you tried talking to your Dr.? Maybe he/she can suggest something for you.

does anyone else have an excessive amount of peach fuzz all over you face?
the last four years I have had vellus (peach fuzz hairs) get worse and worse all over my face and I cannot figure out why? Its to the point where i have to shave my entire face because it is so noticable and long (its all the way up to my eyes)!
Does anyone know what causes this? hormones out of balance? I really need to figure out how to stop or get rid of this.

BurnMarie, sorry to answer a question with a question but...how is your body fat? Adults with very low levels of body fat sometimes develop lanugo (fine, peach fuzz hair covering the body) as a way to compensate for insulation. Has your body fat percentage significantly decreased the last 4 years?

:)Jonezie

Peach fuzz is also associated with menopause or periomenopause.

I have noticed that it's a bit heavier on my face in the last 2 years or so (I'm 53).

I use my epilator about once every 2 weeks or so, and that takes care of the problem.

Mine isn't excessive or long, but I have seen it on women where it's so noticeable because of the length and the thickness. Being in a certain light also highlights it.

If you don't want to try an epilator, what about wax strips like those by Sally Hansen? Those work fine on me, but they can be expensive and it can take a good amount of time.

I have a lot of peach fuzz facial hair too -- and I've heard about it coming about when your body fat is too low (it's actually a symptom of anorexia). But my body fat is not too low by any means, so I am too wondering if it's peri-menopause (I'm 36). I don't mind it so much except that when I do hit menopause I worry it will turn black.

I just saw an informercial for this while I was on the TM the other day. Apparently, it's been mentioned in Marie Claire, O, Cosmopolitan, Allure, etc. and on the Rachel Ray and Today shows. Can it really be painless, I wonder? The price sure stings a bit ($250)...

I just saw an informercial for this while I was on the TM the other day. Apparently, it's been mentioned in Marie Claire, O, Cosmopolitan, Allure, etc. and on the Rachel Ray and Today shows. Can it really be painless, I wonder? The price sure stings a bit ($250)...

I would have given you mine, but I threw it out a long time ago. An epilator works much better for peach fuzz, IMO.

i do not have really low body fat levels, and I am only 25 years old so i don't think it would have anything to do with menopause. I am seeing my doc on thursday, but most of them try to just give you a pill or say theres nothing you can do about it.

I'm wondering if your testosterone levels are too high? I'd ask my gyn to test my hormone levels. A friend of mine had this problem in college. Once they straightened her hormones out, she not only lost the facial hair, she lost some pesky pounds. Hope this helps! :)

Sounds like you have quite a bit of it, which could be hormonally related. See a doctor about it.

I've gotten it in the 'mustach' are, and for removal, I use this: http://www.facialhairthreading.com/index.php?page=home/

I definitely wouln't recommend shaving, as it cuts the hair through the thickest part, and when it grows back, it looks stubblier. On the other hand, when hair that has been removed at the root grows back, it's the fine, tapered tip that comes out, which is not as noticeable.

You could have PCOS. It sounds like your ovaries are involved. Hirsuitism is a symptom of polycystic ovarian syndrome. If you are estrogen dominant that can be part of it. Insulin resistance can show up this way. Birth control pills, patches or injectables can cause this. You should be tested for high testosterone,

Waxing can work. If the hair is light colored then bleach won't help. Waxing strips or the cremes do work. I hate waxing myself, that hurts especially on the upper lip. It only takes 5-10 minutes to use a creme. But, be real careful around the eyes, it will hurt you real badly there. The creme does smell but it washes away. It doesn't have to be too thick to work. The Sally Hansen kind is ok and easy to get.

If your testosterone is too high you can use saw palmetto but it will make you softer and it will be harder to control your weight. It will retard the growth of facial hair and it will soften your skin.

I hope that helps!

Oh, so not good, then? I had an epilator in HS that I tried once (on my legs) and couldn't bear it. Yeow!

You have to be careful where you use an epilator. Some areas are just too painful. I can't even imagine using it on my legs. YEOW is right!

Using it for peach fuzz on the face is definitely not painful. It might sting here and there, but on a pain scale it wouldn't even rate for me.

You have to be careful where you use an epilator. Some areas are just too painful. I can't even imagine using it on my legs. YEOW is right!

Using it for peach fuzz on the face is definitely not painful. It might sting here and there, but on a pain scale it wouldn't even rate for me.

I agree. I don't have a lot of peach fuzz, but I do use an epilator around the mouth area. It stings, but not a lot.

The "no no", in my opinion, is well ... a no-no (sorry, couldn't help myself). :p

What is an epilator?
I have been on birth control pills for years (since i was 14) but am planning on getting of them once i see my gyno. I am hoping that will help.
what kind of test would i have done to see if i am insulin resistant?

What is an epilator?
I have been on birth control pills for years (since i was 14) but am planning on getting of them once i see my gyno. I am hoping that will help.
what kind of test would i have done to see if i am insulin resistant?

I can really only address your first question.

An epilator is a small tool with a revolving mechanism that grabs onto the hair follicle and pulls it out. Perhaps you can think of it as an automatic tweezer -- faster and more convenient than plucking each hair out by hand. They're not very expensive usually, and you can buy them at the same kind of places where you would buy an electric shaver.

I agree. I don't have a lot of peach fuzz, but I do use an epilator around the mouth area. It stings, but not a lot.

The "no no", in my opinion, is well ... a no-no (sorry, couldn't help myself). :p

Well, this was back in the late 80s/early 90s, and they were being advertised for use on the legs, pits, etc. Since then, I haven't looked at another one to know if they improved or not. Good to know that it's not so bad on some areas.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.