Nutrition Books...

dsilva

hello cathe and everyone else!!!
i am intersted in purchasing a sport nutrition book. there are many choices out there and was hoping if you could recommend a good one that can provide some guidance for a beginner who is really interested in training. by the way, i am greatly enjoying PBS series and can see the difference within a few weeks. thanks cathe and the gang!!! your support in providing such great videos are very encouraging!!!

diana

a recommendation

I borrowed Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook from the library after Trevor mentioned it in a recent check-in. It's a solid nutrition book for anyone but addresses the special needs of fitness enthusiasts. Clark interweaves client stories with her nutritional advice which keeps it interesting. The book includes recipes & ideas for quick, packable & mini-meals. In other words she not only tells you what you should do, she gives great suggestions for implementation.

If you want a more technical book that gets into details about the energy system, post again & I'll give you two that I like.

Nancy Clark has a website (nancyclarkrd.com) & I think her price is better than Amazon's with shipping.

Debra

thanks...and yes!!!!

hi debra,
thank you very much for your recommendation. and yes, i would love to hear more about the harder core science books. when you have a chance, look forward to hear about them. i did purchase the nancy clarks book this week and it seems like a good solid book. i am really interested in finding out more about metabolism process and when it is best to exercise to increase one's metabolism.

take care and happy exercising,
diana

follow-up

We used Burke & Berning's "Training Nutrition" in my sports nutrition class. The primary thing it adds to Clark's book is a chapter on how the body fuels activities by converting carbs, fat & (to a small degree, protein) into ATP (energy).

The book would be useful to anyone who participates in competitive events (10K's, triatholons, centuries) or does endurance sports. It's more specific & concise than Clark's book on fluid replacement drinks & energy supplements. It would also be useful for parents with children in competitive sports: What should little Sara have in her gym bag when she goes off to that soccer tournament.

It doesn't really address the metabolic process & how to crank it up. Check out Debra Waterhouse's books for that. I've borrowed "Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell" but one of her other books, "Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell" is frequently recommended. Maybe someone who has read both will compare the two & give a recommendation.
Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.