Lower back/butt twinge

KCRentz

Hi Cathe! First of all I just love your videos and just preordered the new ones, I can't wait. Anyway, I am an advanced excerciser but I just started running about 1 1/2 months ago--I only run once a week for 60 minutes--on a treadmill--But I have been experiencing this little twinge--in my lower back and right under my "butt" bone. its almost like a very sharp pin prick in both spots at the same time, only on one side. I'm wondering if you know what this might be, I certainly don't want to injure myself if I can avoid it but I don't want to stop working out either. Thanks so much, KC

Sounds like sciatica

Hi KC--
Forgive me for jumping in here, but what you described sounds like sciatica. I had it once about 20 years ago (gosh, I feel old now!). It's an inflammation or irritation of the sciatic nerve, which runs from your spinal column down your leg. I aggravated mine around the time that I started a running program and was running every day and stretching a little too vigorously afterwards. It was October and the weather turned cooler. Some combination of the three (cooler temps, running and bad stretching) brought the condition on.

You should probably have it checked out, and listen to your body and ease off so you don't aggravate it further. I hope it gets better soon!

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your post, I really appreciate your response, I'm going to definately look into it. Can you maybe describe to me what it felt like and what you did to cure it? -KC

Remember, this was 20 years ago

Hi KC--
I remember that it felt like something was constantly gnawing deep within the left side of my butt and there was a dull pain down the back of my left leg as well. Sitting on it seemed to aggravate it the most. I remember at its worst point, I had a hard time moving my left leg (like putting on pants or pantyhose while in a standing position) but I was able to walk on it. I went to my orthopedic surgeon and he suggested a very passive treatment of bedrest for a week along with some strong muscle relaxants and pain medicine. It was probably overkill to send me to bed, all doped up, for a week. I think I read or heard somewhere that doctors are less likely to prescribe complete bedrest for back injuries anymore.

I also recall that while he was trying to diagnose this, he discovered my scoliosis. Because I was 19 and had finished growing, there wasn't much they could do about it.

Occasionally, I still feel twinges in that sciatic nerve area, usually as a result of trying to stretch the area too deeply or sitting on a cold floor for too long. But I've never had a recurrence of the original problem.

Sciatica

Hi KC,
Well after reading the Cathe forum for months and sitting on the sidelines, i figured it was time to quit being so passive and get active. This is my first official post, figured i could maybe help. I have been a neurosurgical intensive care unit nurse for 12 years and have worked with this problem quite a bit. KC what you are describing sounds like the beginning of sciatica, maybe running is just not for you. The impact could have created too much pressure on the discs in the lumbar area of your back and subsequently is causing a shift or pressure on the nerves running down the spinal column. If you feel the pain start to radiate down the back of either leg, you have aggravated the problem, be careful. This is one of those problems once it starts it's really hard to get rid of it. The pain usually worsens when bending forward at the waist or if lying on your back with knees bent up. As previously recommended by others, take it easy on the days you feel this type of pain, and relax for a couple of days afterwards. If it persists consult your physician, you may require further intervention. Sciatica is commonly a result of long term stress on a certain area of the spine.
Anyway good luck and please take care of your back. Well that was my two cents worth(not that it's really worth anything, ha ha), hope i could be of some help. Take care

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, it is really helpful. The pain isn't very bad--it only shows up 1-6 times per day, but it is there every day. Should I take time off? Are there some excercises I shouldn't do--I know running, but what about step, eliptical trainer, and leg weight training, any advise would be great. I don't want to stop working out but I don't want to hurt myself either. Thanks again, KC

sciatica pain

Hi again KC,
I, myself get the occasional sciatic pain probably attributed to 12 years of lifting heavy patients. I think working out for so long has kept my back in good shape so that my only problem is sciatica once in a blue moon. It was also aggravated during my pregnancy, anyway what isn't aggravated during pregnancy. What worked for me when i felt the onset of this familiar pain shooting down the back of my leg, was to take some Aspirin (not Tylenol or ibuprofen), i found aspirin worked best for me. Then i would usually take one day off from working out. The next day i would go for a long fast walk, because i think being completely inactive isn't good either especially if you are accustomed to working out. On the 3rd day i might do some step, maybe Step Fit or one of the easier tapes. I would not attempt MIC, BodyMax or Interval Max.
Don't run, much too much impact for the spine.
Then on the 4th day i would do some weight training, but if doing something like PS strong legs would avoid the quarter dead lifts, front lunges (if Right leg sciatica pain, don't do R front lunges or static lunges) same thing if left leg pain, i would also avoid doing reverse crunches. Once again i am speaking from my own experience. I found that any movement that stretched the gluteal or hamstring muscle aggravated the problem and would cause some pain. Please listen to your body if it hurts don't do it. I was like you, i did not want to sacrifice my workouts, so i would do some serious modifications til i felt better. I think over the years i've really kept the problem under control. But by all means, i'm not a neurosurgeon, if you are still experiencing pain have a doctor take a look, go see a physiotherapist. Anyway good luck, Lyanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.