>then those (such as we here on the forum) who have similarly
>changed our exercise to include much more weights, would also
>have witnessed a change in body composition. But if you read
>the posts on the open forum and in ask cathe, you'll see that
>many people still struggle with weight issues - despite doing
>loads of lifting.
>

I find this last statement irritating.

"Many people struggle with weight issues": I agree. However, no one approach works for everyone. Why haven't you addressed the very real fact that we are all different? This is my point. Have I misunderstood yours? Were you telling me that we are all exactly the same? (honest question, after all we all have different styles of writing, which can be misunderstood by someone who has a different style). I have no doubt that what I said in my posts is accurate.

>By the way, my original argument is only flawed (in your view)
>due to its not pointing out weight lifting as a factor. I
>have included it now, and still it doesn't wash as the only
>reason for body composition change.
>

It's not just my view, it's fact. You are being pedantic. So was I in my last reply, so I won't take it personally. Please, accept that we are all different and that for me and many people like me, exercise is our key. That was my point. I am entitled to be irritated with statements that say that diet is 75% responsible for the way your body looks. I am entitled because it does not apply to me (and many others) and the data that says this applies to every single human being, just isn't there. That alone was my issue with your original post.

>Of course, individual factors play in. But in this case, ALL
>of the Cathe-video
>people have leaned out. And that's all I'm concerned with.
>

Apart from the rant aspect of your post (and what's wrong with ranting from time to time anyway?), that is what I thought you were focusing on.

If Cathe did start posting a food diary here, what would you think if she told us she eats like a horse? How do we know that Cathe doesn't eat 8 big meals per day? What if we found out that Cathe lived on chocolate chip cookies alone? :D :D

I sincerely wish you luck with your weight loss and I hope you reach your goal soon!
ATB,
- Lisa :)

RE: reply to all: for argument's sake

1. Why is that last statement irritating? It's true.
2. Obviously, I did addres the fact that we are all different. As a group, those in Cathe's videos provide a perfect experiment for the pre and post conditions after being treated by a certain (or several) factors (i.e, increased exercise, change in diet, or something else). That's my whole point. I am a scientist, and this is just scientific fact.
3. Just because it's your view doesn't make it fact. :)

OK. That's my last post here. I have no personal attack. But I am a scientist, and all I was doing was treating it in a scientific manner.

That's all.
Amen. Merry Xmas, Happy New Year, Happy Hannukah, Hapy Kwaanza. Etc.

It probably didn't come across that way, but at no point was I ever irritated with you, personally. It looks like we are both stubborn and curious (as in eager to know, not strange) people. :) I see some of the facts you stated as "views" and you see some of the facts I stated as "views". I think we have both written sincerely and honestly.

In principle, I agree with what you wrote here:

> As a group, those in Cathe's videos provide a perfect
>experiment for the pre and post conditions after being treated
>by a certain (or several) factors (i.e, increased exercise,
>change in diet, or something else).

However, even though focusing on these five incredibly fit women with distinctly different looks, would result in some fascinating and (probably) ground breaking findings, there will always be people out there for whom these findings will never apply. Given my own history, I'd probably be one of them. :)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this debate with you :)
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a very special 2004.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

thanks for such a great response.

RE: Here's a thought or two or three...

This reminds me of when I was in third grade, my ribs stuck out so much that a mean boy asked if they were my boobs. ;(

And a mean girl, not knowing the difference between muscle and fat, said I had "fat thighs." ;( ;(

Those comments forever tainted my self image!!!

Waah waah.

After the Intensity series came out I believe Cathe and crew did post what they did as far as their eating habits and exercise habits. They told us what they did differently in training for the Intensity series. That info can probably still be found somewhere I would guess.

Yep, it's still there. Go to the home page and down to the News box. Click on "behind the scenes of the Intensity series". Then go to meet the crew and what Cathe did to get in shape after having her last baby. It talks about their diets there.

Bobbi:

you are as usual the self-deprecating voice of common sense and your love of your life now (versus a while back) shines through. You are an inspiraation to me. Thanks and please keep being you. Never change.

Clare
(your personal fan club!)

So funny you say that. I have a sister named bobbi and she actually got implants in her early 30's. Of my 3 sisters, the youngest one is the only one well endowed (overly so if you ask me). She simply tells us flat chested sisters that momma saved the best for last. I just laugh at her since she is somewhat overweight in other areas. Wouldn't mention to her though, after all she is my sister.

Thanks, Clare! I am blessed! I am happy and I know it is a gift to walk on this earth, a miracle to embrace life when it was once so dark I wanted to leave! Knowing too, I cannot be certain that will never happen again, the best I can do is enjoy THIS moment with all I have to give!

And it's my birthday!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/user.gif Bobbi

Interesting, Willow, Cathe cut back her carb intake by 85%! No wonder she's so lean when she films. I have also noted that the lucky ducks who meet her say she's smaller and less muscular looking in person. She goes high carb for filming. Makes sense. Competive body builders do it too! Well, that puts me out of running for the ultra lean look. Nothing comes between me and my beloved carbs! :)

Thanks for the information!

Oh, yeah, I look like a pigeon! I can stick my whole hand under my ribs and grab them, they stick out so far, but only since I discovered I still hAVE ribs. They were lost in the padding for quite a few years. But they're back, now, with a vengeance. And I'm so short waisted, when I bend sideways, they actually touch my hipbones, which also stick out way too far. Fortunately, I can hide my pooch pretty effectively between the enormous ribs and hipbones, so it all works out. :)

Your Soulsister Shari

I am laughing so hard I'm snorting! I hear you! My waist is so short I can touch my hip to my ribs too(another unusual talent! We are so special!) and my husband used to torture me about wearing my pants at my midriff. As if I had a choice! Thank God for low rise jeans. I can invent a waist! By contrast, my arms and legs are endless and as skinny as my little typing friend's. In fact I look alot like him only I have short brown hair and I'm more rectagular!

As I was reading through these posts I felt my stress level rise as I read one post, then the other argueing her point, then back and forth... I felt like I was watching a literary volley over a net. I was really worried it might blow up into a huge fight. Then I just had to start laughing.... thank God someone threw a little humor in there to break the tension. What a great site this is, and what wonderful people...
Lynn

Okay, here's one. Remember those really high-waisted jeans. You know the ones. Back in the 80s. (I'm 42, and you just turned 41 yesterday, so don't try to get out of it. I know you do!) Did you have to a.) get a bigger size so they'd go around your ribs b.) have to forego breathing and suffer with very sore, bruised ribs the day after wearing them c.) bunch them up and tuck them under your ribs d.) all of the above

And about those low-rise jeans. Where do you find those? I've seen them on other people, but I've never been able to find a pair. :)

Shari

LOL, I thought being able to touch your hipbones to your ribs was "normal."

It is normal for "real women"!;) It's another sign of sexual prowess which goes hand in hand with the large ribs! We just need the proper PR, peeps! (That's teen jargon for people.)

Shari, check the Gap, Old Navy. My favorite pair are Old Navy but they are rags now!

Oh, yes I remember those jeans. I had a Steve Urkell thing going on before he became an icon of coolness! Yeah! They really enhanced my stick legs and all that extra material in the front was great for stashing things!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.