How Often do you get on the scale?

NEVER! I use my favorite jeans as a guage-if they start getting too snug; time to "ramp-up" the cardio and clean-up the diet a bit!

I try to weigh in daily. I'm not always home. So, it doesn't always happen. My body is very good at putting on fat. I would have been a hot commodity in the middle ages.:p But, if I don't pay attention, I can put on 4-5 pounds in a day (or more) and not realize it until its in the double digits. So, I weigh in. It helps me know whats going on. And, yes its sad when it goes in the wrong direction, but then I know what happened. It doesn't sneak up on me!

I pretty much weigh myself 5 days per week right now- mon thru fri. I let it go on the weekends because I loosen the reigns on the diet and don't want to watch the scale go up from water retention, etc but I LOVE to watch it go back down! ;)

That being said, my "official" weigh in is on Friday. That's when I record the weight in WW. I track my weight in the wom here every time I get on the scale though.

I feel much more in control and less likely to get discouraged when I weigh myself more often b/c when I see the ups and downs as they happen I know it's not real weight gain. If I get on the scale today and then not again until next Thursday and it's up 2#, I am automatically going to assume I've gained 2#. If I see the pattern of ups and down that lead to the 2# increase then I will realize it's not a gain but just water retention, etc.

While I believe that the scale is only PART of the equation, I DO believe it matters and will NEVER toss my scale. I can not depend soley on how my pants fit, etc. It just doesn't work for me. If I toss my scale I will have no basis of "control" and will gain weight.

Last edited:
Never.

I go by how my clothes fit and how I look. I only ever know from going to the doctor.

I used to be obsessed and weighed myself numerous times a day...struggled with an eating disorder at the time too. So now I don't even let myself go there.

Daily. I think the daily fluctuations help not only to keep me accountable, but also to keep things in perspective. If I did just a weekly weigh-in and saw the scale had gone up by a couple pounds, that would ruin my week. But, since I weigh daily, I know that I don't weigh the same from one day to the next, and that something as small as the workout I did or whether I had soup the night before can completely change the number. Heck, I sometimes weigh a couple pounds less after I've worked out than I did right before. :rolleyes:

I'd like to go by how my clothes feel, but I don't trust myself. I tend to go into denial about what actually happens in the washing machine :p I've also lost quite a bit of weight and have yo-yo'ed like crazy in the past. I want to keep it off this time.

I weigh myself & do measurements on the 1st of every month! I still have some weight to lose & once a month still keeps me accountable without being too obssesive about the numbers:)

Almost daily. If I don't weigh in often, the pounds start creeping on. This is definitely one of those whatever works for you kind of things.

Two measures for me

Weigh-in on Friday mornings & try on the non-stretch jeans as second reality check. This morning was good - pants fit & the scale had a number I was happy with!

I don't own a scale. I only know my weight when I go to the doctors. Last time they told me I have maintained my weight within 3 pounds for the last 4 years!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Cathe:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.