How do you know when you need new shoes?

jzsnow

Cathlete
I was working out this morning and my ankles were killing me. I'm thinking I need new shoes. How can I tell?

Jessica

Hey Jessica,

I try to replace my shoes every 3-4 months but I know I need to sooner when my knees hurt or my feet start hurting. It does not hurt just to get new shoes and see if that helps.

Take care,

Lisa

Well, when I'm running higher mileage I try to replace them every 250- 300 miles or so. If you are feeling any pain in your feet, ankles, or knees I'd definitely replace them!

I listen to my body. I had surgery on my ankle when I was twenty. If my ankle starts acting up it's a sign that the cushioning is gone in my shoes.
Since I put interlocking foam mats on my workout floor I find my shoes are lasting longer than they used to.
If your ankles are killing you I'd get new shoes...it's cheaper than new joints!

I do cardio 4-5 days per week, strength 3-4 days per week. I buy two pairs of good shoes every six months and then alternate wearing them. I used to have significant feet problems, but no more.

After reading all these responses, I'm now convinced that I need new sneakers. I've been using mine for (gulp!) over a year! (Though I do have a separate pair for the treadmill)

Hi:

A little late in posting here, but I can always tell my shoes need replacing when my knees get stiff and creaky and also my feet get sore.

I run 3x/week and notice that I get more life out of my shoes when I'm on the treadmill vs outside on the pavement. So, if you do alot of outdoor high impact activity, you might find you need new shoes even sooner.

Take care, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.