How Did He Propose?

Great thread!

My DH took me to our local park. We sat down on a big swing and I can't really remember what we were talking about, but in the blink of an eye he was down on one knee asking me to marry him. Feels like it was yesterday even though it was 13 years ago this past Friday, March 16th. And every year he remembers the day he proposed.

He's a keeper...:)

Melissa

Neat thread.

My DH and I were fishing. He got our lines tangled and while untangleing the line he put a laminated will you marry me business card on the end. When I realed it in that was attatched to the line. It was a beautiful fall day on a pond surrounded by brightly colored trees. I won't ever forget that day.

My DH and I were on a trip at Morro Bay and one day we made a stop by the ocean. He blindfolded me and guided me along all of these rocks and then he helped me climb up this big huge rock, all the while I was wondering what the heck was happening. After he sat me down on top of the rock he told me to take off the blindfold. There he was on his knee with a ring in his hand with a beautiful view of the ocean behind him. Needless to say, I was in tears and said yes. One of the best decisions I ever made for my life:) .

Lea

I didn't want to be proposed to, as I like to be the proactive one. But he beat me to the punch. If it had been left to me, I would have procrastinated for eons.

We returned to the scene of the crime of our first date on the promenade staring out at the NYC skyline (the one WITH the WTC). I had already threatened his life if he bought me an engagement ring, (I wanted real estate instead), so he gave me a special toy ring that only has meaning to us. It was perfect. :D

Nancy

My DH took me up the canyon, blindfolded me and took me to where he had some friends of his set up a candle lit dinner with a CD of music he had put together. We ate and he asked me to dance. We danced for a while (all the time I had NO CLUE he was going to propose, although he as acting funny all night long, which I couldn't figure out.) We danced and he began to tell me how much he loved me, pulled away got down on one knee and proposed. The weird thing was the sky turned pinkish purple that night, later we heard on the news it was the Aurora Borialis and how very odd we could see it in UT of all places.

For our anniversary this year, he duplicated the dinner for me CD and all and we ate it by candle light in our kitchen as our kids slept. What a sweetie, gotta love him!

Lindzebird

I love Disney World and my DH and I took a few days off during residency for a vacation there. He proposed on my favorite ride (Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). We got married a year later (almost to the day) on the balcony overlooking the lake and woods at the Wilderness Lodge. The funny thing is, he talks in his sleep, and a couple of weeks before had been saying "I don't have the ring, I don't have the ring." in his sleep. We had casually been looking at rings months before, and yet it was still a surprise!

DH and I were both active duty, although he was enlisted, I was an officer (BIG no, no!!) Anyway, he was also working a part-time job in addition to being full time in the Navy. I was working nights and picked up some chinese take-out to take to him at his second job....in an auto body shop (yes, he's a grease monkey at heart;-) !). Anyway, we were in the back room and I had my back turned to set the food down and when I turned back to him, he had the ring in the open box in his hand, looking at me. I started to shake, tremble and cry all at the same time. We had dated for 3 years at that time and I was up for orders in about a month, so I was a bit scared. He says that he mentioned something about a "big tip" to the delivery person, but I don't remember that!

Anyway, we got officially married on my next birthday in my parents back yard (I was on leave), but had the church wedding planned for all the family and friends scheduled for 31 December, 1999......80 years to the day my maternal grandparents were married. I also wore the diamond necklace my grandmother wore in her wedding.

Great thread!

I took a day trip to NYC for business. A major storm system moved in unexpectedly that evening and my flight was delayed, then eventually canceled. Thankfully, I had noticed another flight, that was originally scheduled to depart after mine, was showing up on the boards with a departure time (mine was still just "delayed") so I put myself on the standby list for that flight. We boarded about 4 hours late, then sat on the tarmac in the rain for another hour and a half. Finally took off 6 hours late and had a very bumpy ride home with some snoring slob drooling on my shoulder. After now-DH met me at the gate (this was pre-9/11), we headed for the exit, and he steered me toward the Taxi/Limo door. I got a little flutter in my stomach as it dawned on me what was happening. We got in the limo and he popped in a CD with "our" song on it (Bobby Darin's "Dream Lover"), got down on his knee, and proposed. He was shaking like a leaf and almost dropped the ring! Of course I said yes, and the rest is history.

I still shake my head thinking about him sitting in the back of that limo for about 4 hours waiting for me to get home. DH is about as cheap as they come, so he had to be *very* determined to pay all that overtime. I guess it was worth it, we'll be married 8 years this April.

Over 34 years ago I fell in Love with this cute, 20 year old Blonde. (Diane Sue “WD” in here) Two months after we met, at her Grandmother’s house, I proposed. I reached in my pocket and pulled out a wooden ring I made. (Solid Walnut) I (then 17 years old) got on one knee held her left hand, looked her into her beautiful blue eyes and asked her “would you marry me”. She quickly said yes! I put the wooden ring on her finger.
We did later go out and spend a lot of money on a ring. I think it cost $89.00 at the time.
We married 3 months after we met, on March 27th 1973. Our first child a boy was born a year and a half later. Now we have 3 children all married, and 5 grandchildren.
Many of our friends said we were too young and we didn’t know each other long enough for it to last. Many of them, divorced now are amazed we’re still going strong.
Still Newlyweds….

Great thread and funny because today is our anniversary! We got engaged 10 years ago on Valentine's Day at our favorite restaurant. Nothing elaborate(we didn't have much money) and I was so nervous I can't remember everything he said after he got down on his knee, but it was the sweetest most romantic day:) I know, sappy, but considering some of our friends are getting divorced, I realize how lucky we are. BTW, he surprised me with diamond earrings this weekend! Lucky me!

My husband proposed to me in Paris in April on the Effiel Tower. We had gone to dinner and he seemed nervous. We had to wait forever to get an elevator to go up to the Tower. Because of the foggy weather we could only go to the second level. He proposed in the right hand corner of the Tower with a gorgeous diamond. We were married that June. It was the best thing I have ever done. We always say that Tom Cruise copied him.
Ellen

We were actually in Disney World with my husband's family for Thanksgiving. Although we had talked a lot about getting married, I had NO idea that he was planning on asking me while there. He actually carried the ring with him from the moment we left on our trip, waiting for the right moment.

On Thanksgiving, I had the most horrible headache ever. Almost migraine like. I did not want to do anything. He asked me to go on the train ride around Magic Kingdom - didn't want to go. He wanted to walk up to the castle - didn't want to go. I was in desparate need of coffee, thinking it would help my headache. We were at the entrance of Magic Kingdom - right at the beginning of Main Street - I had found my coffee and was sitting on a bench drinking it. He had finally gotten rid of his family while I was on my coffee pursuit, and asked me then. I was crying so much that my headache came back full force!

We actually had a crystal Micky and Minnie wedding cake topper that we bought while there. The bench is long gone, but every time we're at Disney it's a wonderful memory!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.