Hormone and thyroid testing - blood or saliva?

sophiem

Cathlete
I may need to have testing done to check my thyroid as well as hormone levels. Although it seems that most doctors do blood panels, I've been reading that saliva testing is more comprehensive. Does anyone know anything abou this?

I can't speak to the reliability of it, but I have several patients who have had this done. They then get a "prescription" for herbs, vitamins, or the like that many swear make them feel better. Like some kind of natural hormonal therapy. Evidently it shows them what they are lacking somehow.

My peri-menopausal patients seem to have benefitted the most: a local pharmacist makes up a cream that the women really like, saying it helps with the symptoms of menopause such as decreased libido, dryness, moodiness and such.

I must say that I have become pretty curious about it-almost to the point where I am ready to give it a try....but I am pretty skeptical about these things. I mean, blood doesn't lie, and if the right tests are ordered, you get accurate results.

Julie

I'm going to get checked with both saliva and blood next week. I think I'm beginning menopause and I want to see if I can do anything about it.

My DH says compounding pharmacies are doing a brisk business in this area. It's becoming very popular.

Interesting . . . I have had chronic headaches for 25 years and have tried practically everything imaginable. I read something about chronic headaches and thyroid issues and thought that's one test I never had. Also, my head is worse around my period, so thought maybe I should have my hormonal levels checked, another test that I never had. I was seeing a doc on something unrelated and she said she thought my thyroid was a little large, but she wasn't sure. I've never had any other symptoms that could relate to thyroid problems, but I'm thinking I might bite the bullet and pay for the tests.

Are you having the tests done at your gynecologists office? I wonder if I can just have my general doc's office do it in the lab.

No, not the gyn. A doctor who just happens to specialize in this area shares an office with my dermatologist.

It should be interesting.

I've found that most gyn's don't subscribe to saliva testing because it's not mainstream. I had saliva testing done back in June but really don't think it helped me as much as trying different hormones cocktails until I "felt" better. Because my hormones are fluctuating so much in perimenopause, I felt like it was going to be impossible to find something that worked!

The transition from low dose birth control pills to bio identical hormones was extremely difficult but my body has finally adjusted.

Almost all compounding pharmacies are contracted with a lab to do saliva testing. Mine used ZRT labs which I believe has their own website. It is very expensive and my insurance didn't cover it.

look at bodylogicmd.com, I am taking bio identical hormones. If you have ever had a problem with hormones, this is the answer. The hormones are tailored to your needs. Take a look

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.