home equipment

lwseymour

Cathlete
I have been getting good results from working out on a stairmaster. Only problem is that I could be getting even more results if I had one at home to use. Like most people, I can't afford a real $1200.00 stairmaster, but I'm considering buying an inexpensive stepper from Sears. It's on sale for $160.00.

Does anybody have any suggestions on whether or not the inexpensive steppers are worth the money? I worked out on it at the store for a couple of minutes and much to my surprise, it actually felt quite sturdy. I would welcome any opinions or suggestions on home steppers.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,
I just bought an inexpensive stepper after Christmas and like it a lot. It's not anything like the kind I have used at the gym, but it gives me a good workout and I like it for crosstraining. I noticed on your check-ins that you use the stairclimber a lot, though, so maybe you would be better off investing in a better quality machine. Or getting a different piece of equipment for home and continuing to get your good results from the gym stairmaster.
OK, now that I have totally confused you...sorry!!
Erica

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the info about steppers. You're probably right about me needing a more sturdier, expensive stepper. Sears also had one for around $400 that was very nice. So maybe I should go that route. I actually don't like stepping very much, but it seems to help me lose weight quicker than any other cardio. Kinda have to like it for that reason. Oh well, decisions, decisions!

By the way, I've been meaning to write you and tell you that I like Hi/Lo Heaven that you recommended to me in a post weeks ago. Can't get the steps yet, but I will continue to work on it. Like you said, it is worth the effort. The music is very good and the dancy style is quite fun. Thanks for recommending it. Have a great day.

Lisa

Lisa:
Just wanted to let you know that I did in fact buy a Stairmaster about 7 years ago. I went to a place that both bought and sold exercise equipment from health clubs, and then refurbished them and re-sold them.

The way I found out about the place was by going to a nearby fitness center that sold workout equipment and basically telling them I really couldn't afford their stuff. They then told me of this place which sold "refurbished" exercise equipment.

It's an idea if you don't mind used stuff. For me, it worked out wonderfully....the Stairmaster is still behaving GREAT!

Good luck on your venture!

Terri

Hi Lisa and Erica: Just caught the reference to hi/lo heaven. I was wondering if this tape has the same intensity level as Cathe's? I get disappointed when I buy tapes and they don't compare to her. Lots of people like the hi/lo heaven tape so I was curious to know what you think.

Thanks.
Julie

Hi/Lo Heaven

I had heard that HLH was not as intense as Cathe's and wasn't all that excited about getting it for that reason. However, I was very pleasantly surprised when I did it. While not as intense as Cathe's workouts, it definitely gives me a very good workout and I am tired when I am done. Not a killer workout, but definitely not easy either - and it's a lot of fun.
Erica

RE: Hi/Lo Heaven

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try it for a change once in a while. Are there any other intense step videos that you know of in Cathe's range. I have been unable to find anything. I also love hi/lo and kickbox if you know of anything. I did like Gin Miller's Intense Moves - although short - you feel "worked out" by the end.

Julie

High intensity step videos + others

My recommendation would be to try Mindy Mylrea's Slammin Sports Cardio (2K02). Mindy is also coming out with two new videos that are supposed to be very intense - Action Packed and 2101 I think. Her website is jumpinc.fitness I think or you can get them through CIA. The Tae Bo Advanced Live videos are also very good. For hi/lo I like Franny's 9905 - this has 2 workouts - one step and one hi/lo. I haven't been able to figure out the step because I can't get the choreography (I haven't given it a good try, though). The hi/lo is a pretty good intensity. Also, CIA 9803 has a good hi/lo section. But my first choices for intensity would be Cathe or Mindy. Hope this made some sense!
Erica

RE: High intensity step videos + others

Yes, it does make sense - I really appreciate your taking the time to answer. By the way, if you can't get the choreography, then I won't be able to either - I've actually fallen off the step on my butt trying to get some moves. Fortunately, once you get Cathe, she pretty much is easy to follow - thank goodness. Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.