Fructose is POISON!!!

Thanks for posting this...I'll definitely watch it when I have more time. I am very anti-sugar. I'll only eat natural sugars from fruit, agave, raw honey or sucanat but only in moderation. I can't tell you how much better I felt once I removed the refined sugars from my diet. Goes to show that if sugar actually made me sluggish, tired and irritable, what was it really doing to my body and health?

I agree. I get the same effects from artificial foods period. Sometimes, Id wake up feeling like Id been run over the night before. aching all over. Once I cut my intake down to 25%, I felt so much better.

I just finished watching this video. It is fascinating. He mentioned something towards the end that pregnant women who consumed HFCS passed the craving or addiction to their child. I believe this. My great nephew (3 years old) is hooked on fast food, soft drinks, candy bars, crackers - you name it. If it is processed or fast food, he eats its.

I am going to go through my pantry and frig again to make sure I'm not eating this poison.

Thank you for posting it, I also watched the whole thing. He is an amazing teacher, the lecture was fascinating. Just makes you angrier about that stupid commercial on TV how high fructose syrup is "good" for you because it is "natural".

Macska,

I was shocked when I saw that commercial. The general population believes their propaganda. Politicians, the USDA and food companies are slowly killing us with the crap they are putting in our food.

So, the video is about high fructose corn syrup and not FRUCTOSE? Fructose is a monosaccharide and can be found in fruits and honey. That one would be hard to avoid. High Fructose corn syrup, on the other hand, is avoidable and should be avoided, no matter what the propaganda says.

Just makes you angrier about that stupid commercial on TV how high fructose syrup is "good" for you because it is "natural".

I loathe that commercial with a fiery passion!! It was actually the determining factor that pushed me over the edge to quit my job in marketing and go for a career in physical therapy. I couldn't stand lying and pushing crap that people don't need in their lives!!

So, the video is about high fructose corn syrup and not FRUCTOSE? Fructose is a monosaccharide and can be found in fruits and honey. That one would be hard to avoid. High Fructose corn syrup, on the other hand, is avoidable and should be avoided, no matter what the propaganda says.

My understanding is that when you eat fruit it comes with all its fibers plus its fructose and it's good, little amount, slow absorption. When its processed into high fructose corn syrup it is fructose without the good stuff.

My understanding is that when you eat fruit it comes with all its fibers plus its fructose and it's good, little amount, slow absorption. When its processed into high fructose corn syrup it is fructose without the good stuff.

Yes! Exactly! Nature knew what she was doing when she packaged fructose with fiber!;)

Katerchen,

The professor who gave the lecture spoke about both. He is definitely anti-HFCS. If you watch the video, he goes into great detail explaining how our bodies process sugars of all types including alcohol. Take the time and watch it. It is fascinating.

What I got out of that is all processed sugar is bad for you.

Even though that "sweet surprise" commercial by the "corn sugar" folks is cheesy, the fact of it is technically correct -- your body can't tell the difference between sugar and HFCS. They want to make it seem that because it's made from corn, it's natural, and natural is good, right? What makes HFCS so bad is that, because it is so cheap to produce, it's in everything.

Bottom line: Read labels.

A few months ago there was an article in the NYTimes about this. One of the things I thought I read was that some believe your body does know the difference between sugars and processes them differently. I know we have all believed that the body can't differentiate but now the thought is that might not be accurate. Reading that article and watching the video helped me to eliminate sugar from my diet. It is one thing to see it as empty calories and quite another to think of it as toxic. It really killed any temptation for cookies, candy etc. My DH likes to bake and occasionally he will bring over a piece of something he has made and I will eat it but that is it.

Thanks for posting this video. I'm watching it in stages when I can and it's really interesting and informative. For a long time I have felt that sodas are poisonous and now I have the evidence to back up my feeling.

And now, this is completely adolescent of me but....I have begun to giggle every time he says "K". :p

Hoping to finish watching it this afternoon.

I'm so happy that you ladies are watching the lecture and discussing the issue! I have since been on a quest for a "better" sweetener and have come across brown rice syrup: it is all glucose!!!! I bet a little bit of brown rice syrup, some salt, and water would make an excellent recovery drink????;)

Nan, I wish you would consider changing the title of this thread. Fructose is the sugar that is naturally produced in fruit. You are essentially saying that eating an orange is eating poison, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you intend. Processed sugar like high fructose corn syrup is an entirely different matter. JMHO. :)

Nan, I wish you would consider changing the title of this thread. Fructose is the sugar that is naturally produced in fruit. You are essentially saying that eating an orange is eating poison, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you intend. Processed sugar like high fructose corn syrup is an entirely different matter. JMHO. :)

Cataddict,
You're right, an orange is NOT poison! The orange (along with other fruit) has fiber in it that reduces the rate of intestinal carbohydrate absorption,
reducing insulin response; makes you feel fuller; and prevents absorption of some free fatty acids to the colon, which are metabolized by colonic bacteria to shortchain fatty acids, which suppress insulin. Fructose is quite awful in large amounts when unaccompanied by fiber. I was shocked when I first watched the lecture because I always assumed that "natural sugars" were safe. I have to admit that when Dr. Lustig said he was going to prove that fructose was poison I was skeptical :rolleyes:. Poison is a strong word, isn't it? Once I watched the video I understood what he meant! I hope you have a chance to watch the video...I had to watch it in increments over the course of a day, but it was so informative!

ITA!

Another thing about HFCS: since the majority of non-organic corn is GMO, HFCS is also most likely GMO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.