Dilation and effacement

Lunacat

Cathlete
Hi girls!

I went to the OB yesterday and found out that I'm 1 cm dilated and 20-30% effaced. Also, the baby has turned head down and my Braxton Hicks contractions are fairly frequent now (though not regular). Would anyone be willing to tell me how long it took you to go from a point similar to me to actually being in labor? I'm almost 36 weeks so the OB wouldn't do anything to stop labor if it were to start and I know that you can be partially dilated or effaced for a few weeks without being in labor. I'm just wondering if there's an end in sight! :p

Thanks a bunch!
Becky

yay Becky!!!

With both my girls I walked around dilated to up to 4cm for a couple weeks. They were 10 and 11 days early.

I'll give ya 2 more weeks!!! Cook that baby a little bit longer!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I bet you can't WAIT to see that baby!:D

How on earth did you manage 4 cm for a couple weeks? I'm already waddling around like I have a small elephant jammed up my hoohah! :7

And you're right... I can't wait to see her!!!!

Congratulations on your surprise baby!

hahaha!
Not quite sure! I guess since that's both of my pregnancies were like I just don't know any different!

Do you have a name picked out?
Thanks for the congrats!

Mia Elizabeth. We just settled on the name a few weeks ago but now it's like that's ALWAYS been her name!

how pretty!

One other bonus that I failed to mention before about being so dilated....
I had super quick labors!

Gina was 8 hours, 3 pushes
Isabel was 2 hours, and a half a push!

Can't beat that!

No, you certainly can't beat that!

One of my favorite scenes from The Simpsons has this scene:

Homer: What's taking so long? Bart was born in like 5 minutes.
Marge: Actually it took 53 hours.
Homer: Really, wow the time just flew by didn't it?

If my SO said anything like that...I'd kill him! }(

That's too funny - hadn't heard that before!

My poor DH is so good to me while I'm in labor but I know it stresses him out big time.

Hope Mia's labor is a nice one!

unfortunatly there isnt a way to predict when you are going to go into full labor. Some woman walk around like that for weeks...Not to disappoint you. I was 1 cm dilated for weeks. His head was down and my cervix was thinning. They ended up inducing me because I couldnt stand the constant contractions towards the end.
sorry
melissa

I was 4 cm for abut 2 weeks with my 2nd and 3rd children. However, if this is your first, be optimistic. I wasn't even at 1 cm until i was 8 days overdue and induced.

It's all a guessing game. I was dilated for weeks and had to be induced for both pgs. So go figure. Good luck and hope you have a good experience delivering!

Thanks everyone! I know each pregnancy is unique and what's true for one person won't necessarily be the case for another. I just hate not knowing what's going to happen and when. Grrrr. :)

Sweetie--all I can say, is that other than morning sickness, the final month is the worst. Hot, can't breath, can't walk, feel like the baby is never going to come.

I was at a 4 for a week before labor happened last time. It was discouraging.

Hang in there and do something nice for yourself.

Maggie:)

Yay Becky! I was 3 cm for about 2 weeks. Then they induced me because there was just no change.

I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!

labor and delivery nurse here weighing in. being dilated/effaced before labor actually begins doesn't by a LONG shot guarantee delivering early. anyone here ever have pre-term labor go on to be induced?? it happens a lot.

pregnancy is supposed to last 40 wks. many women go past their due date having walked around dilated for wks. I think that because we now find out so early that we're pregnant, tell everyone as soon as we know, it just gets long. It really stinks that the people who were jumping up and down for you when they first heard the news turn into the 'aren't you EVER going to have that baby?' chanters. It gets very discouraging.

The best thing you can do is stay busy, drink a lot of water, and know that you won't be pregnant forever. Good luck!
Valerie

Be happy you have made it this far but try and let that little one stay inside a little longer. Enjoy your last few weeks and rest up. I went into premature labor at 31 weeks. I went from a slight cramp to delivering our perfectly healthy daughter (Thank God) in about 5 hours. I didn't feel good for a few days but my doctor said this was normal. I now have a new doc. I went from 2 cm to 10 cm in 45 minutes. No one knows why I went into pre-term labor after lots of testing. I am pregnant again and have 3 months to go and I am already out of work. I cannot exercise and have to go to the doctor every other week for a sonogram. I guess my biggest point is to make sure you listen to your body...it knows!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.