Clean Eating?

LizC7

Cathlete
I've just started an STS rotation and want to make sure I'm eating well while I go through it. What are some good habits to get into? Healthy snacking? Are carbs ok? Any tips would be great! I do enjoy mixing up a yogurt smoothie in the afternoon - any ways to spice it up? I usually add bananas or strawberries.

I've just started an STS rotation and want to make sure I'm eating well while I go through it. What are some good habits to get into? Healthy snacking? Are carbs ok? Any tips would be great! I do enjoy mixing up a yogurt smoothie in the afternoon - any ways to spice it up? I usually add bananas or strawberries.

Congrat's on your new STS rotation Liz! Yes good eating and good workouts go hand in hand so you definitely want to put good calories into your body to fuel your workouts.

Overall you want to eat a variety of foods that are nutrient dense and drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water a day (more when you workout and or sweat due to hotter climates). You also want to sleep a good 7 to 8 hours (or more) if you can to promote healing and recovery. A little extra protein in your diet is good on the days you workout to help with muscle recovery and strength.

Aim to have 5 to 6 small meals/snacks about 2.5 hours apart so that your metabolism is always running optimally.

Each meal should have a combination of moderate carbs, moderate essential fat, and moderate protein. This ratio varies a little per individual based on their energy output, their goals, and their overall genetics.

A typical day for me:

Meal One:
A cup of non sweetened old fashioned oatmeal (not instant) with a handful of blueberries and 3 eggs (one yolk and 3 whites), and a cup of coffee (non-sweetened w/skim milk) and a large glass of water.

Snack One:
A scoop of protein powder with cinnamon (30 grams protein) and water. 1/2 banana

Meal Two:
Grilled white chicken breast...no oils or sauces added, a huge helping of dark leafy green salad with baby tomatoes, 5 walnuts, and a small yam...large water

Snack Two:
1 Bland rice cake, a smear of natural peanut butter, a granny smith apple, and a multi vitamin...great big water

Meal Three:
Steamed salmon, 1/2 cup brown rice, a mound of steamed broccolli, large water and cup of skim milk

Snack Three:
Greek 0% fat yogurt (4 ounces), a handful of blackberries, water

Of course there are many other food combo's out there, I just gave you a typical day. If you really want to get specific, its a good idea to consult with a clinical nutritionist who will give you the right proportion of calories based on what healthy foods you enjoy, your weight, your workout level, etc.

Good Luck!

Cathe, has this eating changed for you over the past 7 years? This is dated 2010. I'm approaching 48 and am wondering if you've noticed anything you've had to change in your diet to maintain weight. Someone told me to skip oatmeal. I tried to, but then would be hungry and want to cheat. I'm interested to see if you've had to tweak your eating any since this post. I eat pretty much like this, but have sugar in my coffee.

A typical day for me:

Meal One:
A cup of non sweetened old fashioned oatmeal (not instant) with a handful of blueberries and 3 eggs (one yolk and 3 whites), and a cup of coffee (non-sweetened w/skim milk) and a large glass of water.

Snack One:
A scoop of protein powder with cinnamon (30 grams protein) and water. 1/2 banana

Meal Two:
Grilled white chicken breast...no oils or sauces added, a huge helping of dark leafy green salad with baby tomatoes, 5 walnuts, and a small yam...large water

Snack Two:
1 Bland rice cake, a smear of natural peanut butter, a granny smith apple, and a multi vitamin...great big water

Meal Three:
Steamed salmon, 1/2 cup brown rice, a mound of steamed broccolli, large water and cup of skim milk

Snack Three:

Of course there are many other food combo's out there, I just gave you a typical day. If you really want to get specific, its a good idea to consult with a clinical nutritionist who will give you the right proportion of calories based on what healthy foods you enjoy, your weight, your workout level, etc.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Congrat's on your new STS rotation Liz! Yes good eating and good workouts go hand in hand so you definitely want to put good calories into your body to fuel your workouts.

Overall you want to eat a variety of foods that are nutrient dense and drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water a day (more when you workout and or sweat due to hotter climates). You also want to sleep a good 7 to 8 hours (or more) if you can to promote healing and recovery. A little extra protein in your diet is good on the days you workout to help with muscle recovery and strength.

Aim to have 5 to 6 small meals/snacks about 2.5 hours apart so that your metabolism is always running optimally.

Each meal should have a combination of moderate carbs, moderate essential fat, and moderate protein. This ratio varies a little per individual based on their energy output, their goals, and their overall genetics.

A typical day for me:

Meal One:

Snack One:

Meal Two:

Snack Two:

Meal Three:

Snack Three:

Good Luck!

This is a great!!!!!

She wanted me to get my carbs from veggies. I found I was so hungry it made me want to really cheat. My compromise is to eat it when I really fell like I need it, and try to do yams every other day. I am trying to clean it. She didn't want me to use whey either. But I just have to say I think whey is ok.

She wanted me to get my carbs from veggies. I found I was so hungry it made me want to really cheat. My compromise is to eat it when I really fell like I need it, and try to do yams every other day. I am trying to clean it. She didn't want me to use whey either. But I just have to say I think whey is ok.

Why didn't she want you to use whey?

Usually, the only time I eat oatmeal (with in-season fruit and honey) is before I have a two-three hour ride scheduled. Resistant starch works amazingly well for me on those longer hauls. What and when I eat is not comparable to the above, and wouldn't work for me, but if it works..then follow it until you feel a need to tweak it or evolve into a different approach.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.