Carb Info

lorrie

In case anyone is interested: I read in this month's Fitness that the carb phobia is perhaps not warranted and, in fact, if you exercise at a vigorous pace 3 to 4 times per week (and most of us Cathe fanatics are 5 to 6 x per week!) carbs should make up 50% to 60% of your dietary intake. The changing statistics are so confusing but hey, pass the pasta (and potatoes and rice...:9)

That's absolutely correct, carbs are not something to be wary of, sugar is. Carbohydrates are what your body uses for energy, not protein, and eating carbs doesn't make you fat. Excessive intakes of sugar in various forms, too many overall calories and not expending more energy than you consume causes weight gain. A truly healthy diet for someone who works out at least 3 times for week should most certainly be at the very minimum 50% carbs, but around 60-70% is more like it. As Cathe has said in her videos regarding exercise, "balance is the key" and it is, whether the topic is workouts or nutrition. Moderate amounts of things like pasta and rice are quite healthy, but large servings of protein and fat at every meal is not. Or if you're like me you can get your fill of carbs per meal with lots of veggies, which are the best type of carbs (low glycemic index, meaning they don't raise blood sugar levels as much as starches like pasta, bread and potatoes). Don't let any fad diet keep you from enjoying fresh fruits, veggies and small servings of starches.

Hey, thanks for the support! I was afraid some Atkins devotees would come on here and tear me a new one! LOL! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.