Bally's question-need advice

Colette

Hello, I recently became an ACE certified personal trainer and have started to look for a job in my area. Bally's seemed interested in hiring me, but I'm not sure I agree with their sell,sell,sell philosophy. They also would expect me to offer nutritional advice and promote their supplements which I think (I'm new) goes against ACE ethics;they said it was a gray area. I'm wondering if all big gyms are going to be like this :-hmmm
I really respect everyone's opinion on this forum and really need some advice. :)

HI,
I have not belonged to a gym in 6 years but the one I belonged to was Ballys. I'm kind of out of date but I'll tell you even 6 years ago it was sell, sell, sell. I mean I have lived in 5 homes in 3 different states since I left them and they keep finding me and sending me these "come back" cards. I though I finally lost them, had not heard in over a year and guess what I got 2 days ago- "A special offer for our former members to get into shape for the new year" from Ballys." I did use a personal trainer there for a few sessions and the person was about 19 or 20 and I still remember what he said to me that made me so turned off (and I never used a personal trainer since). At the time I was about 135 lbs and really into running. I am 5'7 so I was hardly overweight. I told the trainer I liked to run for cardio and his response was "really, I did not realize that someone with your body type could run, I usually think of running for someone who is thinner and carries a lot less body fat". OK, I digress here.

Personally I would try to find a smaller or less commercialized gym. But if you can't get a job at that type of a place now, Ballys might be a good stepping stone to gain experince.

I agree with you though, the whole selling nutritional supplements is kind of slimey in my opinion.

Good luck to you, and congrats on getting into your new career. I'm sure you will be a GREAT trainer who will be very encouraging to people!!

Marci

I had a horrible experience with Bally's last year - I joined and the personal trainer who did a fitness assessment on me told me my body fat percentage was 29% when, in truth, it runs 18%. I was horrified, and ran to a local ACE trainer who measured me less than a month later and got 18%.

I got ACE certified myself, and got in my local Y. They ARE ethical, they have FREE training for their instructors, and I'm a lot more satisfied. I would try your local Y if I were you.

Just Do It! :)

Thanks for the good advice :). I'm going to check out my local Y as well as some smaller, non-commission clubs in my area.

I used to work at Bally's (in the childcare area) and the trainers used to try and sell me supplements! Egads! The assistant manager was always trying to sell me this sugar-free ephedra-loaded energy drink...

I worked at a Gold's Gym franchise later (again, in the childcare area) and they had supplements available to buy and had little promotions (sales), the trainers never pushed supplements on the clients, unless the clients asked about them in particular. Of course, this gym was owned by some people I knew who didn't even consume caffeine, so they might have had their own policy about this... I'm not sure if other Gold's Gyms are similar or not...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.