Back exercise video's

LynnW

Cathlete
Anyone out there recommend some good tapes for back exercises. My husband has cronic lower back pain :-( and is looking for a good routine.

Thanks

Lynn W

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-07-01 AT 07:50AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Lynn!! Do you have PS BBA? Or what about the CTX collection? That Power Circut has a good back routine. I really like PS BBA best. May I add one more thing? I too, suffer from lower back pain, and I've found that doing some yoga on top of training has really helped it alot!! I started with Crunch Joy of Yoga, but Ali Macgraw's Yoga, Mind and Body is my favorite. Ok, there's my 2 cents. Tell your hubby good luck with his back!

Aimee

Like Aimee, I'd suggest yoga or Pilates to strengthen his abs & lower back muscles. He might like Rodney Yee's yoga abs for beginners (but I'm not sure it also works lower back muscles). Karen Voight's Body Reform Abs & Back also comes to mind. Ab Attack also hits abs & lower back but it's an hour.

Another source of lower back pain is tight hamstrings. Stretching might provide some relief.

Debra

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-07-01 AT 02:26PM (Est)[/font][p] Have you seen Paul Chek's Swiss Ball Exercises for Better Abs Back & Buns? It has a long instructional section followed by the workout. It has a lot of really effective exercises for strengthening the back & abs as well as range of motion stretches for the back, hips, hamstrings, etc. I think it's very safely taught too.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks Aimee for the advice. I do have all those tapes and maybe coming from someone else he might try it.

He tried my Rodney Yee Yoga for athletes last week and wrentched his neck trying to look at the T.V. (that didn't make him too happy). He really should try a beginners tape so we'll go look for one or two.

Today he is seeing a physical therapist to get some guidance. It is just killing him that he can't play golf when the weather is finally nice so he is open to anything right now.

Thanks again,

Lynn W

Thanks, Debra. Today he is seeing a therapist and hopefully get some guidance. Currently he does a lot of stretching and probably needs to step it up to some strength building through other exerrcise.

THanks,
LynnW

No, I have never heard of it. Where did you find the video? He is willing to try anything just so he can play some golf.

Thanks,

Lynn W

Hi Lynn,

My husband's back causes him problems also. Human Kinetics has a video called YMCA Healthy Back Video (there is a book also). The YMCA video has more beginner moves and shows stretching techniques. Another good one is Joanie Greggains Back Health, I ordered it from Collage. Joanie Greggains video has lots of strength building exercises. Rodney Yee has Back Care Yoga for Beginners. The trick is to get your husband to actually do the video.

Good luck,
Sandi

Yoga for Athletes

Your post had me giggling because I felt like I spent the entire video staring at my knees which made it difficult for a yoga novice (moi) to follow. It's probably a video that needs to be watched a few times before joining in. But the principles are perfect for your husband since golf is non-symetrical. I'm still plotting how to get my husband to try it as he never, ever stretches. Let us know what works for your guy.

Ab Attack by Trish Muse has a wonderful back section
Trish has a background in physical therapy and give pointers
throughout for those with back problems.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.