Attn: All New Moms-Post Partum Check-In

jaypea

Cathlete
Come and join us for a weekly check-in as we support each other on a variety of topics (weight loss, exercise, making it through the day/night on little sleep:) , baby issues, etc). I enjoyed the support and "friendships" I developed on the Moms-to-Be forum, and now that I have my DS, Andy, I hope to continue this support.

A little about me, I am 29 (will be 30 on 6/20), had a DS, Andy, on March 21 (via C-Section), and I love being a mom! I will write more later, as Andy just woke up from a nap, and he is very cranky. He got his vaccinations yesterday, and is really out of sorts!
-Jen

Hi!

Do I really have to divulge my age!? lol I'm 33 and had DS Joey on May 14th via V-delivery.

DS and I are still learning about eachother...it's on going I guess. I am getting used to motherhood though I am having my share of rough patches. I love my son to pieces but this is much harder than I anticipated and I tend to be emotionally and physically drained by dinner time. I have broken down in tears several times since we have been home from the hospital. I guess I have a little bit of those post partum blues they talk about...hopefully I will be over this soon.

So how is everyone holding up being home with your baby and no adults all day long? Yesterday was my first day since I got home from the hospital that Joey and I were truly alone ALL day long and it was hard for me. I was lonely for adult company/interaction. I had my mom or DH around for the whole week prior so I'm really not used to this. I also have adjusting to do as far as not having a set schedule 5 days per week where I have to be somewhere at a certain time. I don't miss my job but I do miss being on a "schedule" in the morning...Having somewhere to be at a certain time? You know what I mean?

Joey goes for his 2nd dr apptmnt tmrw. He is due for a weight re-check to make sure he has started gaining now. He lost about 6 ounces from birth to his first doc apptmnt last wednesday and now should be climbing back up the scale again...I am nervous about this appointment as it will be the first time that Joey and I will be venturing out into the world alone. He has been out a few times but we were either with DH or my mom. This is the first time I will be taking him out alone and it's quite scarey.

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

Baby Joey born May 14, 2005 11:19 pm 7 pounds 12 oz 21 inches long.

8 month pic just added! EEK! lol http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

Hi Wendy! Everything you are going through is normal. A lot of what I experienced (and still am experiencing) is totally new to me. I, too, had a lot of help from family the first two weeks I was home (my mom-in-law for the entire first week, and my mom for the entire 2nd week). I didn't cry once during that time, but boy oh boy, when I was on my own for the 3rd week, the flood gates opened!!! I was so overwhelmed. I couldn't stand all the people telling me to enjoy him now cause he'll grow up so fast-I felt that I had to have my eyes on him 24/7. I also had to get used to being on my own, not going to work and not having stuff to do all the time. It is a HUGE adjustment!!! It's unfortunate that such an emphasis is placed on the excitement of being pregnant, but not too much is placed on the real-life adjustments that have to be made and all the emotions we experience (not that being pregnant isn't great).

My baby cries ALL the time! Well, it seems like all the time to me. He is the definition of colicky! I can't stand it when relatives, although they mean well, give a multitude of suggestions (he's too hot, he's too cold, you have his diaper on too tight, he has gas, he should be given cereal, he got spoiled because he's held a lot.........) But, I had dreams all throughout my pregnancy that my little guy would be so smiley, and we'd have so much fun together. I love him to death, but it is difficult right now.

I have been exercising when I can. He is napping right now, so I want to do KPC. I hope I have a good week of workouts to report next week.

Well, that's all for now. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone, and from talking to all of my friends who recently have had babies, everything we are going through is normal.

Enjoy Joey, and enjoy your day!
-Jen

Hi all,

Thanks for posting a post patum check-in. Let see. I am 30 years old and my first child, Rylee, was born on May 5th. She was 6lbs and 12 oz and 19 inches long. I had a very long and hard labor and delivery but the memory is fading. Rylee and I have been spending lots of time together and we have had family come stay with us to help us with all the little things. After a couple of rough days, I am successfully breastfeeding! Why is something so natural not natural at all?

I am trying to sleep when the baby sleeps and feel like I'm getting a good amount of sleep. I haven't started exercising but we do go on a lot of walks. I've lost about 16 lbs so far and I'm really happy about that!

One question I have is: How long are you supposed to bleed after a V-delivery? It's been almost 3 weeks and I am still bleeding. It's a light flow but still I thought I'd be done with it already.

That's about it for now. Hope everyone has a great week.
Imani

Hi,

Well I am not pregnant right now but I do have a son and my dh and I are planning another baby soon. I have to say that I am a little afraid because of the post partum depression I went through after my son was born. I feel like it kind of took my by surprise because doctors seem to cover every base except post partum which is very common for women. I remember thinking when I was BLUE that it was not going to pass and that I would cry everyday forever...until the first day I went all day with out 1 single tear. I am going to talk to my ob/gyn when I do go back in and suggest talking to their patients. I do want to say that if anyone is feeling a little BLUE that it does pass. Not everyone is overjoyed when they come home with a new baby and not that you dont love this little person with your whole heart but in this society we are expected to have careers, families and babies. We are only human and I know that I was also so used to my work schedule so going from a more than full time job to a stay at home mom was a SHOCK. My son is now 19 mths old and all of that seems like a distant memory but still I did feel alone for a while. Well sorry for babbling and I hope you all feel well.

Hi Imani! About the bleeding. I had a c-section (after pushing for almost 3 1/2 hours), and I had bleeding for a good 4 weeks, then it tapered off. Although, when I exercised even after the 6 week mark, I noticed some spotting. I am not sure if people who deliver via c-section (without pushing) bleed. Isn't it ironic that after 9 months of no period, we get hit hard with all that bleeding? I went through a huge box of pads from Sam's during that time, and all the the time thinking that this was payback for not having my period all those months.

I just wanted to tell you guys that I bled for 5-6 weeks after my baby. By the end it was light though. I'm sure even those with c-sections who didn't push still bleed - your body has a lot of "stuff" to get out of you either way. FYI!

http://lilypie.com/days/050710/4/23/1/-7/.png[/img][/url]

Due 7-10-05

Emy and Jaypea,

Thanks for reponding. I was thinking that maybe I was doing to much and that my bleeding wasn't normal. thanks for sharing. Now I know I'm normal and will stop worrying. It is very frustrating though. And we can't use tampons which frustrates me even more.

Imani

Hi everyone!

I bled for four weeks after my c-section, but it wasn't heavy- just consistently there! Doctors do suction out a lot of the "stuff", but a lot of blood is still in the lining of your womb afterwards.

I had Eric on March 20th, and have been exercising for 4 weeks. The first two weeks I did light stuff, low impact, and using a single riser for step workouts. The last two weeks I'm back to regular Cathe work, although I need time to get back the endurance, strength, etc (of course!) It's been hard to find video workout time though, since the last two weeks I've been looking after Eric single-handedly, and have had many doctor and hospital visits. We got home from Eric's hernia surgery today actually, and everything went well.

Jen, Eric has some colic too - the poor guy has way too much gas going on for his little digestive system. Although he doesn't cry constantly about it, he quietly grunts and groans his way through it all, and it wakes him up at night (very frustrating as I'm trying to get him to sleep longer now). Hang in there- Moms with colicky babies do say it eventually ends- I hope for your sake pretty soon! My pediatrician says Gassy babies peak with their discomfort at six weeks, and then it wanes. Usually pretty much gone at three months. I have another month to go!;-)

I'm looking forward to checking in with my workouts again. Shall we start next week?

Jen V

Postpartum bleeding

<One question I have is: How long are you supposed to bleed after a V-delivery? It's been almost 3 weeks and I am still bleeding. It's a light flow but still I thought I'd be done with it already.>

Lochia, the postpartum bleeding, can last 6 weeks or longer. Lochia progresses through 3 stages. Lochia rubra is described as red and lasts about 1 to 4 days. Lochia serosa is pink or brown discharge that lasts 5 to 10 days postpartum. Lochia alba follow lochia serosa. It may be a creamy white, yellow, or brown drainage that lasts 6 weeks or longer. Your discharge instructions should tell you when to call the doctor (relapse of lochia to a previous stage, foul odor, etc.)

You will have some lochia regardless of how you deliver (vaginally, schedules c-section, etc.). Usually, there is less lochia following a c/s for the reason Jennifer mentioned.

HTH!

Take care ladies!

Hi Jen V.!!!!!!:) I am about where you are with exercise. We can start posting our workouts this upcoming week. I dusted off my Cathe DVDs, and I'm getting back into them. I also started out with low-impact. I would step in place when Cathe was doing jumping jacks, etc. And, at first, I couldn't even do a stomach crunch (ouch!!!). Now, my abs are getting stronger, and I am able to do more (not all, but more). It's going to take a lot of hard work, but we can do it!

I know what you mean about the gas grunts and groans. My little guy was up at 3:00a.m. pushing really hard, and his poor face looked like it was going to explode! And, the strange thing is, he just doesn't burp. I try and try to get him to burp (so does my DH), but only once in a blue moon will he actually do it. The pediatrician even watched how we were burping him, and said we weren't doing anything wrong! He just likes to make it come out the other end;-)

Well-I have to go. enjoy the weekend!
-Jen

Jen, it just took me half an hour to get Eric to calm down for sleep - he had too much farting going on too!

I know what you mean about the abs. I do crunches with my knees out to the sides, as I cannot do it with me knees together- too much belly rolls in the way!I still find it hard to bend forward facing from a standing position. It has been getting better though, as my buttons on my pants are inching towards closure every week. I got one pair of pants on last week while sucking in my gut, but I knew there was no way I'd be able to sit down in those pants!:7

Looking forward to sharing our progress with you, as we delivered so close together!

Jen V

Hi everyone!

My son, Cale, was born via c-section on Sept. 29. He'll be 8 months old tomorrow. Wow!...I can't believe what I just wrote...it really does seem like he was just born. :)

I'm 32 years old, and Cale is our first child. I stay at home with him, but work part-time a couple of evenings and some on the weekend at a golf course. I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time, but thought I'd chime in since I'm needing some motivation. It's been a lot tougher getting my workouts in than I thought. I feel guilty trying to exercise while Cale's awake, and he doesn't really like to nap (especially if he's not laying on me after I've bf'ed him). He has about a 30 min span of patience/amusement that sometimes allows me to do a quick workout, or I'll do it after he goes to bed (I should be doing something now, but I'm beat).

I'd love to join in with all of you for the check-in. Cale is such a happy-go-lucky baby so I'm probably putting more guilt into it than I should. I still manage to get in 2-5 Cathe workouts a week. It just feels odd after years of working out 6-7 times a week. I look forward to hearing about everyone's upcoming weeks.

Tana

Hi, my son Javonte was born on the 13th of august (first child) and boy is he a handful already. He is to the stage where he is creeping, standing up and letting go. He took 2 steps by himself.

Tana what I find works for me, before I had my son I used to workout in the morning before work. I was still able to do that at the beginning but now I find that when I wake up he pretty much wakes up with me. So now after I get him to sleep at night (sometimes I fall asleep with him, I get back up though) I do my workouts so I am able to workout at least 6 times a week. Sometimes it a challenge getting started but once I do I am able to get in some pretty good workouts.

Shawna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.