Argh!

Zozo

Cathlete
I have downloaded four dvds, they took about 6 hours each. THey played once they were completed, and the icon was in my itunes movies folder. I have come to try and play one, three days later, and none of them work! THey all say that the file canot eb opened because the original file is not available AND 'do I want to locate it?' and needless to say, it's not there!!

Has anyone got any advice??

I'm on Vista, and broadband connection

Thank you

Hi Zozo,

Two things to check here to figure out what happened. My first educated guess is that in your iTunes preferences under "Advanced", "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is UNchecked. This option needs to be checked so that your files are actually added into the library. Otherwise, the videos will play from wherever they were downloaded to and if moved or deleted from that location will fail to play anymore. Herein seems to be the problem and the second thing to check to see if it is happening: your downloads folder for your browser was probably emptied either by the browser (or many "disc maintenance" utilities monitor and empty this folder, also), thereby deleting your copy of the video file.

What you can do:

First, search your disc for the names of the files and see if by chance they might be located somewhere else on your hard drive. If so, drag them into the iTunes window. If not...

Second: Make sure the items mentioned above are checked in iTunes (it should be checked by default, though), then, unfortunately, re-download the videos. This time, they will physically be copied into iTunes and be available no matter what happens to the originally downloaded file.

Third: Back-up your original downloads onto a DVD or another hard drive so you always have a copy of the original available.

Hope this helps...if not, please let me know and we'll trouble shoot further.

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you! This worked. I changed my preferences in itunes, and it solved the problem. Thank you for responding so quickly aswell!
However, one of my links has expired (the one for gym style legs) I'm not sure what to do about this.

@Zozo: I will mention to Josh about your link expiring for Gym Style Legs, but please also submit a request through the Help Desk on CatheDownloads so that he can provide the link to you under your account there (unfortunately your username here on the forum is on a completely different system than your account on CatheDownloads). Glad we could help you out.

Thanks for posting the Help Desk reminder because when the download has failed 3 times and you can attempt to download the 4th time you receive the message "This download link (https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/df.php?txn_id=0YD12779DY041890W&client_id=86484&d_id=6801513) has expired. Please contact the merchant at [email protected]." Could this be changed to instruct the user to put in a request to the Help Desk or provide a link directly to the Help Desk? Obviously the URL is the link to my purchased m4v but the contact reply is canned. I sent to the email instructed (on 11-Oct) and have not received a reply. I will proceed with a request through the Help Desk.

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.