Aerobic Flooring?

bayerngirl

Cathlete
I need some advice on aerobic flooring :) My workout room is in my basement, which is over 760 Sqft :) The entire basement is carpet :( Two weeks ago, my husband and I went grocery shopping to Costco. I always check the weather for thunder and lighting, their was only a slight chance of rain for that day :) One of my dog Browler (he is a Labrador) is afraid and starts shaking when he hears thunder /lighting :) Poor dog! I have to give him meds and also have a Thunder blanket for him. The blanket really doesn't do anything for him :( Well we had a crazy storm coming through WV 2 weeks ago , the trees where leaning sideways. We also had thunder and lightning for about 45 min. I would never leave the house knowing, about this. While DH and I were shopping in Costco Va.,we heard some light thunder and lighting for about 10-15 min. By the way, Costco is 45 min one way from our house. DH and I wanted to live Costco but like I said, in Va the thunder/lighting stopped. Not in WV :( By the time we came home, I noticed something was wrong with my dogs. They both looked spooked and afraid. I still had no idea about how bad the weather was in WV:) One of my dogs come up from the basement, which surprised me. He always greeds us at the front door. At this point, I knew something wasn't right? So went downstairs in the basement, everything looked normal in my workout area. We have also a full bathroom right next to my husbands work shop in the basement. Our basement is huge. The door was closed to the shop, but the carpet was all torn up from the shop door to the bathroom :) For some reason, I think the dog tried to hide in my husbands shop? I wasn't upset at the dog at all, since I knew he gets complete spooked by lightning/thunder. My husband and I have been talking about replacing the carpet in the basement for quit some time :) I guess, Browler (Lab) started demolition work a little earlier:p We have no choice but to put new flooring in :D I been searching the OF and reading on aerobic flooring. My head is spinning! My question? I really hate carpets and always wanted something I can clean easier than carpet. My husband and I are not sure what we should get in the basement ? Remember my workout room is in the basement :) We do workout in the basement every day. The entire basement is berber carpet. I also have some puzzle mats in the cardio area. The only problem we have the mats do slight sometimes when doing cardio. I am not sure, what to get? Do you still like the aerobic flooding mention her on the OF awhile back? I remember a few bought/installed some? Or is there something else already better out their? Since we have so much space in our workout room would you recommend doing the entire room with aerobic flooring? Or just the area I do cardio? My husband had Rubber Flooring sent us some samples? Who as Rubber Flooring and how do you like them? I really have no idea which flooring to get? I also don't want to spent an enormous amount of money on the basement flooring. DH and I are not sure if we keep the house? We will live in the house for the next 10 years? Is it worst installing aerobic flooring or would you go with something else? We also want something that protects our old knees for the next 10 years :) Any advice and help would be appreciated :D Thanks in advance, Belinda

I am interested in this thread also. I am debating on getting the flooring Cathe has in her videos (foam squares underneath the wood planks to give it spring) or even the rubber flooring I see at playgrounds/parks.

The rubber I see at playground/parks looks like it is made up of tiny little circles and looks like one giant piece. Versus distinct rubber squares. I have asked local parks what it is, but no one can answer me. Also, to those who have rubber flooring, does it smell? I got a rubber dumbbell set years ago and to this day if the door is shut and I open it, I can smell the rubber.

This the the Rubber flooring we got the samples from ? :http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/index.html

I am not 100% sure, but the Rubber flooring looks like the flooring that was used in 21 Day Fix Extreme videos? Maybe I am wrong?

That's where I got my flooring. I love it in my weight area. You definitely need something springier for cardio. I made my own cardio area, rubber mats, and very flexible plywood layered three times each, covered with linoleum. Put an edging around it to hold everything in place. 10X10 ft. Works great, never had an injury with this flooring. I thought that the linoleum might crack since it is springy, but it hasn't yet. I guess carpet would work, instead of linoleum. But, I hate working out on carpet, and I sweat so much, the carpet would just get nasty, and my workout area would smell like an old camel in a day.

Last edited:
That's where I got my flooring. I love it in my weight area. You definitely need something springier for cardio. I made my own cardio area, rubber mats, and very flexible plywood layered three times each, covered with linoleum. Put an edging around it to hold everything in place. 10X10 ft. Works great, never had an injury with this flooring. I thought that the linoleum might crack since is was springy, but it hasn't yet.

Thanks for you input, Karen :) Can you please post a pic what it looks like? I am still a little confused with all that layering stuff :eek: The space you covered can 2 people use the space? DH and I work out together every day :) We need room and our space :p

Thanks for you input, Karen :) Can you please post a pic what it looks like? I am still a little confused with all that layering stuff :eek: The space you covered can 2 people use the space? DH and I work out together every day :) We need room and our space :p
My cardio area is 10X10 ft. That's 100 sq ft. If my family is visiting, my daughters work out with me, and it's fine. It's enough space to do Cathe's walking lunges. and such. If I'm alone, it's perfect. I suggest you go to a gym equipment store. Some of them have flooring. Ask them for suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGCDYQ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

We have a gym in our basement as well, and the link above is for the floor we put in (we got the dark oak color). I absolutely love it! We covered the entire floor with this, and it looks really nice. It's fantastic to do cardio on - the flooring stays together really well (probably partially due to us covering the whole floor). Also, it looks really nice down there. I also think the customer service would be good through this company because I got an email about a week after we ordered it from Incstores asking how we liked it and if we had any questions or concerns. The review I read on the flooring also supported the fact that they company has good customer service.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGCDYQ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

We have a gym in our basement as well, and the link above is for the floor we put in (we got the dark oak color). I absolutely love it! We covered the entire floor with this, and it looks really nice. It's fantastic to do cardio on - the flooring stays together really well (probably partially due to us covering the whole floor). Also, it looks really nice down there. I also think the customer service would be good through this company because I got an email about a week after we ordered it from Incstores asking how we liked it and if we had any questions or concerns. The review I read on the flooring also supported the fact that they company has good customer service.

Thank you CLD :) I will check it out :)

Check it out girl! That is fantastic! You can jump up and down on it, do some puddle jumpers, and even try a push-up! You need to see how it feels on feet AND hands!
Let us know!
I'm sure you will get many stares! Tell them you are testing it out for your horse! Ha!

Check it out girl! That is fantastic! You can jump up and down on it, do some puddle jumpers, and even try a push-up! You need to see how it feels on feet AND hands!
Let us know!
I'm sure you will get many stares! Tell them you are testing it out for your horse! Ha!

Thank you again :) That is a great idea. plus it isn't expensive either. I will go to the tractor store tomorrow. I don't care if people stare :) I will keep you updated :) Thanks again.

Let us know!

Please post pictures of you testing it, Belinda. In fact, just take your cell phone and do a downloaded workout there. Whole workout will be a great test. Then tell them it's for your horse, of course, is a horse of course.

If you have the room, consider putting good quality aerobic flooring in a limited area (6x8 or 8x10 ft) for plyo work. You can look at the Keifer basketball flooring or the one that Cathe recommended with foam blocks (look for the springstep in the following pdf: http://www.stagestep.com/documents/flooring-guide-ae.pdf). If you need to justify the cost, it is cheaper to put proper aerobic floor in one room than it is to get an MRI done on one knee!

For a weight area, you can use anything you like but be aware that some of the rubber/foam tiles smell. I would use a renewable wood flooring like bamboo and put a carpet remnant over it to protect it.

I tried the basketball flooring at Keifer. I could have jumped on it all day. Yes I did jump on the various floors they had laid out in the showroom, didn't care that people were looking at me like I was crazy. There is a huge difference between that type of floor and any type of rubber or foam mats. I don't think they even qualify as a poor substitute. I had gotten samples of rubber tiles and decided against them. If my basement ceiling were a little higher, I would have set up a workout space with one of the options I listed above.

I ended up buying the Pavigym tiles, nowhere as good as a proper aerobic flooring but better than other options. I have them sitting in my dining room on top of a large Berber carpet remnant, with foam mats on top and a thick carpet on top. I have been doing controlled plyo barefoot on them without any issues for years. I still think of ways of putting down a movable basketball flooring so I can jump higher. I also have the Pavigym under my treadmill.

If you have the room, consider putting good quality aerobic flooring in a limited area (6x8 or 8x10 ft) for plyo work. You can look at the Keifer basketball flooring or the one that Cathe recommended with foam blocks (look for the springstep in the following pdf: http://www.stagestep.com/documents/flooring-guide-ae.pdf). If you need to justify the cost, it is cheaper to put proper aerobic floor in one room than it is to get an MRI done on one knee!

For a weight area, you can use anything you like but be aware that some of the rubber/foam tiles smell. I would use a renewable wood flooring like bamboo and put a carpet remnant over it to protect it.

I tried the basketball flooring at Keifer. I could have jumped on it all day. Yes I did jump on the various floors they had laid out in the showroom, didn't care that people were looking at me like I was crazy. There is a huge difference between that type of floor and any type of rubber or foam mats. I don't think they even qualify as a poor substitute. I had gotten samples of rubber tiles and decided against them. If my basement ceiling were a little higher, I would have set up a workout space with one of the options I listed above.

I ended up buying the Pavigym tiles, nowhere as good as a proper aerobic flooring but better than other options. I have them sitting in my dining room on top of a large Berber carpet remnant, with foam mats on top and a thick carpet on top. I have been doing controlled plyo barefoot on them without any issues for years. I still think of ways of putting down a movable basketball flooring so I can jump higher. I also have the Pavigym under my treadmill.

Thank you :) There is a lot to take into consideration when buy good flooring . I really appreciate everyone taking the time and giving me advice :) I did a search and found the info on the springstep. But was wondering if anyone that put it in, still like it :) I will look into the bamboo flooring and basketball flooring too. Thank you so much!

I guess my hesitation with the foam blocks is the change in floor height. I did but an aerobic flooring panel a while back but DH was really sick and I haven't set it up to try it out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.