Adding on a upper body cardio prior to strength lifting

Hi Everyone,

I have varied my upper body strength routine recently by adding upper body cardio prior to strength training. The outcome of this has been serious DOMS:D:D:D. I can hardly move my arms as I am typing this message. So far nothing has attacked my arm muscle at this intensity.

Has anyone tried this?

Now I really would like to stick to this combination for while and eventually gain more result. I hope upcoming Rockout knockout will contain 10-20 minutes premixes. Not just the heavy bag segment since i do not own one.

Hope to hear from you devoted exercisers on this:):):)

Kind Regards,

I do the same thing on Sundays---upper body-focused cardio before I do upper body strength. Favorite is Susan Chung's Rapid Fire Shadow Body (weighted gloves) with XT heavy bag tabata and either XT Hard Strikes (no conditioning premix) or MMA Boxing's heavy bag workout.

I hope that Rockout Knockout is similar to Hard Strikes or MMA Boxing, rather than a typical kickbox workout. I also don't care for the MMA Boxing heavy bag segment as much as the Hard Strikes HB tabatas, which I enjoy (I don't like moving around the bag so much---rather would just whack the bejezus out of it).

I'm seeing good results from this, especially in terms of endurance.

this sounds good but curious~ does the cardio BeForE strength affect how.much you are able to lift? I'd like to give this a try

this sounds good but curious~ does the cardio BeForE strength affect how.much you are able to lift? I'd like to give this a try

i personnally keep it short. less than 30 minutes. i do prefer to be in a fat burning zone before starting strength training. i do not always get time to do it.

It can affect your ability to get a clean lift with good form if you are fatigued! i would not do it more than twice per week cause you can burn out;)

Here are articles about concurrent training:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark15.htm
http://cathe.com/does-concurrent-training-limit-strength-gains.

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
I've seen the best results in my previously untrainable shoulders by doing this exact thing.

I'll do cardio with upper body work in there (sometimes things like Athletic Training, sometimes LIC, etc...) And then I tack a burn set from XTrain on top of it.

I saw results quickly and man have I felt them!

Hi

I did Combat Hiit Power today and Tri sets chest, shoulders and triceps and it was a really awesome pairing!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.