OUCH - I Fell Off My Step

KadetKim

Cathlete
I'm not sure if this has come up before - as I'm new on here - but has anyone fallen off their step??

OMG - Good job I'm not in the ER this week as I came off my step mid way through Low Max on Tues.

My huge problem with doing workouts @ home is lack of space. I used to use the living room which is just not practical due to size + the light fitting dangles and I used to bash it, but the real difficulty was the carpet, as (1) I was worried about wearing a hole in it and (2) there is inevitably some drag. So eventually I jiggled a set-up in the kitchen and decanted myself into there - so far so good. However, using all four sides of the step does invariably take up some space and I'm constantly having to re-jig Cathe's instructions: [I]"OVER" (dishwasher) "FACE IN" (cat bowl) "OFF THE SIDE" (fridge) "AND ACROSS THE TOP" (without toppling into the sink).

So the other morning I was adapting my positioning and body alignment as usual and the rubber on my shoe together with the rubber surface of the step just 'caught' for a split second which was sufficient to scramble my legs and I went down phat on my tushy like a sack o'spuds straight into the cat's breakfast - ending up on my back - arms and legs a'kim'bo flailing wildly in the air like an upended beetle. Very Elegant.

Anyway, I thought I'd sprained my ankle proper and wouldn't be able to drive to my meeting but miraculously I've survived with only the merest hint of whip-lash to my neck/shoulder. Despite not having the good grace to bruise, my ankle did have the decency to puff-up a bit to show willing. So now I've got 'OLD LADY CANKLES' - Just what I was hoping all the stepping, jumping and pumping would achieve after all these years.

Have a safe day everyone!!!!

Unfortunately yes! A couple of months ago I was doing Imax 3 (which I don't attempt often because it's just too much jumping for me) and during the very first blast of jumping on and over the step, I didn't clear the step completely and my foot caught on the platform and down I went--I came very close to smashing my head into the TV! And I managed to scrape about 2 inches lengthwise of skin off my shin too, I was bleeding everywhere, couldn't shave my legs until it scabbed over. I have tripped on the platform and fallen on my butt before, but this was the first time I really hurt myself. So....from now on, any future attempts at Imax 3 will be with the platform only, no risers. :eek:

I hope your ankle is better soon! :)

I have space issues as well! Luckily, I have not flown off or actually completely fallen off my step - yet, but I have tripped and tried to fly! LOL! I have finally found the proper orientation for my step so I can do the workouts without killing myself!

Now, I have the new step coming and it's dimensions are a bit greater than my old Reebok step, so I shall have to reconfigure!

Glad you weren't seriously hurt!

I call Drill Max "ankle killer" because I've twice twisted my ankle during the exact same sequence - the fast feet around the step. I also have no room and have to modify like crazy. I think that's why I don't enjoy step work and why I suck at choreography - because I'm so busy modifying for space.

KadetKim - you have a way with words - made me chuckle. :) Sorry you hurt your ankle, though.

I've come close to falling, but haven't yet (knock on wood).

Even though I don't have a problem with space I've totally bit it on the step before!! I can't remember which workout it was, but I ended up with an imprint of the rubber tread on my knee for about a week :0

Thank goodness you didn't really hurt yourself!!! I think most of us have had a mishap of some kind while stepping. Many years ago I had a pretty spectacular fall from my step while doing some kind of lunging move from the top, my foot caught the treads much the same way yours did..... the kicker being I was the instructor at the front of a very crowded step class. I literally sprawled on the floor, then quickly did a roll up to my feet laughingly stating "This is the proper way to fall off your step".

I've fallen off a bunch of times. Actually 3 days ago I was doing BM2 and I stepped on the very edge of one of the corners. The top flipped and I flipped with it! My BF was hysterical.

Kim, I love your writing skills! (I'm wondering if you're a Brit.) I've had small trips and falls a few times over the many years, but with no injuries more serious than a minor ankle twist, thank goodness.

Hope your ankle heals soon! At least you can laugh about it!

I've never actually fallen off the step, but I've definitely come pretty close before. Yesterday I was doing Rhytmic Step where you jump over the step sideways (kinda hard to explain) and I often almost don't clear the step there when I'm jumping over. (And I only use one set of risers.) I'm sorry you hurt yourself but your description of exercising in your small space was hilarious!

I understand the frustration of working out in a small pace. I really don't have a very large space to do the workout videos. There's some that I just really don't have enough space to do at all, and others I have to modify. When I first started doing Cathe videos in 2007 I lived a different apartment with a huge open space to do the videos. I stopped when I moved to where I live now because I got frustrated with the space issues. I've started again, though, and realize that I just can't do all the videos and that it's okay to modify some. However, I do feel like I'm more likely to injure myself trying to work in the smaller space. I also agree that carpet isn't really ideal, but oh well.

So glad you aren't seriously hurt! You have a way with words that made me laugh!:D Take it easy on that ankle (cankle-snort!) Yep, I have fallen, flown, and/or tripped off, over, and/on my step a few times!:eek: The last time I did it, it was a doozy. It started a chain of events with my low back and hip that I'm still dealing with:confused: I workout in a small space too and when I fell I was lucky to hit the middle section of the sliding glass door and NOT the glass. However, because I bounced off:)o) the middle section(made of wood) I fell onto my right butt cheek and hip. Good times!:eek:

To quote Hillstreet Blues: "Let's be safe out there" ;)

yup! I've done that. Mostly its just a twisted ankle. For me the trick was wearing really snug clothing so that I could still see the step. I too have a really small space, my bedroom. I use the circuit step. Some moves are over my head and I just do a repeater.

Yep. I twisted/sprained my ankle VERY badly falling off my step a little over a year ago. It made me stop stepping. I'm just not coordinated enough to step on my little stepper (I don't have the big club step). :confused:

I can't help but giggle from your description of the events leading up to your unfortunate demise. Oh my!

I'm just glad you didn't get seriously hurt.

Oh yes....I've fallen quite a few times (and my workout room is big so I have no excuse), but my ego always hurts more than my body. I figure I'm just a bit of a clutz with big feet that tend to get in my way ;). I figure, it's par for the course so I continue to step.

Yep, I managed to miss the step and go flying across the gym floor in the presence of 104 steppers at the road trip last year. :eek:

Love your description - hope that the cat wasn't eating its breakfast at the time :D

I seem to find a way to trip UP the step - I catch my toe and then do the stutter step across, sometimes I turtle the step on the way by with my toe - all because I am daydreaming. Bad me.

Glad you are ok, though!;)

Hi Everyone - thanks for your replies and good wishes (limp)

For sure when that old hiney juggernaughted into terra firma I was thinking 'now that's gotta hurt' - but good news - I must have done Butts & Guts so often that I literally must have Buns of Steel cos I didn't feel a thing?????? Go figure.

And ElleJay - no the cat wasn't eating his breakfast at the time, but I thought, 'well whilst I'm here .................' So at least now I can boast bright eyes and a glossy coat.

Thanx again
Love Kim
P.S. JaneA - Yes Cathelete UK :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.